Karaoke Sound vs DJ Music Sound

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
Over the years, I have noticed that not much emphasis is placed on Sound for Karaoke Gigs. Is there a reason gor this? Same amount of people and same size space and KJs tend to bring less, even to the point of eliminate a sub. I noticed that here even in Houston too? Guys would come in to a small bar 100 - 150 people and use two powered QSC K 10s or for the most two 12" powered two ways and no sub. Why?

The karaoke files tend to have less fidelity than music MP3s (even the better ones from Sound Choice, Chartbusters, etc.) and don't have a lot of information in the lowest octaves by design (a lot is played through home systems) .. that and people's voices are limited as well .. so a pair of 12" tops with a reasonable lower end is sufficient for the vast majority of Karaoke.

If you play music in between .. then a typical DJ system makes sense (more bottom end).

Least amount of work for the money, would be my guess. I won't do Karaoke, and have been asked several times to expand into it. From the research I have done in my market, the pay for Karaoke events rarely passes $200.00, so I don't see how you could afford to buy quality equipment and the music, much less bring in a quality sound system for that rate :)

Least amount of work for the money, would be my guess. I won't do Karaoke, and have been asked several times to expand into it. From the research I have done in my market, the pay for Karaoke events rarely passes $200.00, so I don't see how you could afford to buy quality equipment and the music, much less bring in a quality sound system for that rate :)
It will depend on where the KJ is doing the Gig I guess and what they are using. As for me I charge a higher rate because more Equipment (Video screens/monitors) and Mics are needed. For Private Events at Country Clubs, even more than my DJ fee.
I think some chaps are selling themselves short. Karaoke should be a big Show.

Last edited:
For us, it's mostly about the size of the event. Most of the mainly karaoke gigs we do these days tend to be small private parties. These are probably 25 a year, with half of those being at homes.

It's more common to have them add karaoke for at a dj gig. Mostly dj, with a mix of karaoke. Our systems run it perfectly, and the mixer we typically use at all gigs has very good vocal effects.

We don't do weekly bar gigs. We will do private party gigs at bars.

In my experience, it's very rarely been sound quality that drives people away from a karaoke gig. Inappropriate volume has been. Some believe the louder the better. Big mistake. An effective KJ needs to read the crowd, which includes people not singing.
Other mistakes.....
too much singing by the KJ.
Playing songs in exact order....I find it more effective to play songs the crowd will like. Those slow sappy love songs by a terrible singer that no one knows.....and isn't spending money...goes to the bottom of the list.

Basically, a great KJ with 2 k10's and no sub will beat a mediocre to poor dj with tons of gear all the time. With what bars are willing to pay these days, it doesn't shock me at all to see less and less equipment.

Reactions: steve149
For us, it's mostly about the size of the event. Most of the mainly karaoke gigs we do these days tend to be small private parties. These are probably 25 a year, with half of those being at homes.

It's more common to have them add karaoke for at a dj gig. Mostly dj, with a mix of karaoke. Our systems run it perfectly, and the mixer we typically use at all gigs has very good vocal effects.

We don't do weekly bar gigs. We will do private party gigs at bars.

In my experience, it's very rarely been sound quality that drives people away from a karaoke gig. Inappropriate volume has been. Some believe the louder the better. Big mistake. An effective KJ needs to read the crowd, which includes people not singing.
Other mistakes.....
too much singing by the KJ.
Playing songs in exact order....I find it more effective to play songs the crowd will like. Those slow sappy love songs by a terrible singer that no one knows.....and isn't spending money...goes to the bottom of the list.

Basically, a great KJ with 2 k10's and no sub will beat a mediocre to poor dj with tons of gear all the time. With what bars are willing to pay these days, it doesn't shock me at all to see less and less equipment.
I "hear" you Scott. However, I think that offering minimal sound makes one sound like the others and thus they receive minimal $. Music is music. To me the only difference in a Karaoke Track vs. the Original Music Track is the absense of the original singer. I have always strived to make my Singers look and sound like they are doing the "cover" for a song. I see the Singer as the vocalist in the band so therefore I feel it is my objective to provide the band part.
My Karaoke Patrons like the idea that they "feel" like they are sining in a band vs singing to accompaniment of music coming from 2 lil speakers.
Sound is sound and the rationale that using 2 K 10s because that is what a lot of guys use is ludricous. It does not fit the size of any room. Too small to properly reproduce the natural sound.

I'm not sure who said k10s fit the size of any room, and I'm not sure who's reccomending k10 simply because everyone else is using them, but I agree with you that those are ludicrous reasons.

Maybe it's different in Texas, but in Ohio, I got out of the weekly karaoke bar gigs as the prices started nose diving. It's understandable. As more kjs came on board, bars had more choices, and karaoke was less of a novelty, as more bars had it. Bars weren't willing to pay our prices any longer when they could have something for 1/3 of the price. Yes some had quality issues and asked us back, only to try another low cost option again down the road.

I made a decision to focus on weddings and private parties. It's been a good decision for us.

Whatever success we did have with karaoke was not because the background music sounded so incredible. It was because the KJ was able to make the atmosphere fun and enjoyable. It's th same for the parties we do today.

@ Scott,
The K 10s is what I see a lot here plus the Behringer 12" two ways.
It has gone down in Value here too however I market myself differently for Bars, Clubs and Restaurants. I market the full bodied sound with Quality gear. Most KJs use throwaway Mics and I use $500.00 Wireless Mics, Shure SM 58s and Elvis Mics among other things. So gear and difference in sound does pay more.
They offer a Taxi Ride and I offer a Limo Ride. Same destination!

For Private Events at the Country Clubs, I charge more than my DJ Fee.

Over the years, I have noticed that not much emphasis is placed on Sound for Karaoke Gigs. Is there a reason gor this? Same amount of people and same size space and KJs tend to bring less, even to the point of eliminate a sub. I noticed that here even in Houston too? Guys would come in to a small bar 100 - 150 people and use two powered QSC K 10s or for the most two 12" powered two ways and no sub. Why?

Because karaoke is defined by the quality of the singers - not the quality of the gear. Really good singers frequent karaoke spots where they can join other good singers. These are the places where it pays to treat the clientele as you would a live band. The rest of the karaoke market is either drunken frolics or shrieking youngsters - and throwing more money at that situation in terms of gear doesn't improve the experience.

Your average karaoke "fun" crowd is in it for laughs - not fidelity.

Because karaoke is defined by the quality of the singers - not the quality of the gear. Really good singers frequent karaoke spots where they can join other good singers. These are the places where it pays to treat the clientele as you would a live band. The rest of the karaoke market is either drunken frolics or shrieking youngsters - and throwing more money at that situation in terms of gear doesn't improve the experience.

Your average karaoke "fun" crowd is in it for laughs - not fidelity.
I have to say that we have great Singers at my Shows. Once in a while there is a fumble and I have been fortunate not to have to deal with drunks.

My main point again was to Market myself differently from my competition, be differentfrom them and receive much more money than them for what I do and I have been successful in so doing. I was trying to share that with others here!

My main point again was to Market myself differently from my competition, be differentfrom them and receive much more money than them for what I do and I have been successful in so doing. I was trying to share that with others here!

Thank you for sharing your modesty.

I have to say that we have great Singers at my Shows. Once in a while there is a fumble and I have been fortunate not to have to deal with drunks.

If you are able to charge a lot more for a karaoke bar event because you focus on making the background music sound much better than anyone else,, that's great. My experience has been different. The bar karaoke shows I've seen in the last several years look very much like the pictures you've posted. Small gatherings. If bars in Texas can pay a lot for that, that's awesome. The economic in Ohio work differently:)

The latest pics I have posted are from a Public Restaurant. I normally don't post pics of my Private Events except for the Setup ones.

Sales training goes a long way in getting the Compensation one wants.
Why does my Agent get those high paying Gigs for me when others are fighting to get the bottom of the Barrel?

Thank you for sharing your modesty.
As usual I see you miss the message. You remind me of a Chicken I used to have when I was a young boy. Put a clear pane of glass in front of it and it continued to walk into the glass instead of going around it. What a stupid chicken that was! It was good for one thing eventually, Sunday Lunch!
Allow me to explain. From the very beginning I have always encouraged people to be different so that they will get the results they are seeking. Everything from Speaker setup to getting a higher fee for your services. Ask and you shall receive. Some are so afraid to lose the Gig that they are reluctant to negotiate.
If you have something different than your competition then sell that. Its a leg up. Look at it this way. DJ/KJ #1 comes in and tells Bar Owner / Prospect that he can do Blah Blah Blah.
DJ/KJ #2 comes in and tells Bar Owner / Prospect that he can do Blah Blah Blah.
What is the difference? NONE! Why should the Bar owner pay more for one or the other? He shouldn't, if he is smart. All he has is their word.
Now DJ/KJ #3 comes in and tells Bar Owner / Prospect that he can do Blah Blah Blah plus he shows and talks about Equipment that most other DJs do not have or use. He explains how said equipment will translate into a better experience for the Bar and make it Special compared to other bars in the area. Bar owner is not used to this approach so he listens and then decides to take a chance. All DJ#3 now has to do is deliver what he promised. BTW DJ #3 has shown himself to be on a higher level so it no wonder he can convince the Bar Owner to pay more. If the Bar Owner feels he will reap more and better profits by paying more he will. By now he has seen his fill of the mediocre DJs. This is Psychology! It is a big part of the Sales Process!

Last edited:
As usual I see you miss the message. You remind me of a Chicken I used to have when I was a young boy. Put a clear pane of glass in front of it and it continued to walk into the glass instead of going around it. What a stupid chicken that was! It was good for one thing eventually, Sunday Lunch!

Caught the message .. AND the delivery.

The latest pics I have posted are from a Public Restaurant. I normally don't post pics of my Private Events except for the Setup ones.

Sales training goes a long way in getting the Compensation one wants.
Why does my Agent get those high paying Gigs for me when others are fighting to get the bottom of the Barrel?

Sales training also goes a long way in not having to book gigs through an agency:)

Reactions: tunes4046
Sales training also goes a long way in not having to book gigs through an agency:)
Scott,
Not all my Gigs come from my agents. I go out and visit places on my own as well. If someone offered you a lift to 5 miles down the street, would you decline and walk just because you have a new pair of shoes?

Scott,
Not all my Gigs come from my agents. I go out and visit places on my own as well. If someone offered you a lift to 5 miles down the street, would you decline and walk just because you have a new pair of shoes?

I was just busting your chops because you put sales training and agents right next to each other.
Kind of like saying "I'm a great driver, and the guy that I pay to drive me gets me there on time"