JBL SRX718s v.s. QRx 118S

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

cbarronx23

New DJ
Dec 12, 2006
Well, I am just about ready to enter phase 1 of my large rig acquisition (subwoofers). I found a gently used pair of EV QRx 118s for $1400 and just as I'm about to buy them, Papa posts the $10,000 worth of sound gear thread, and I started thinking about how much I would love a SRX system. I was comparing specs, but can't get the full JBL specs because their website seems to be down. I can get a pair of new SRX subs for $1600, and of course there's still the used EV's for $1400. I would be powering the subs with a 1 Crown XTi 4000 per sub.

And since I want matching tops eventually, lets throw in the SRX722 or QRx 212/75. Thinking XTi 2000 for the tops.

Which would you choose? Why?

BTW as much as I'd love a pair of dually 18's, they are just not practical for me right now (size, weight).

Theoretically, if both speakers were new, which would you take?

I mean, the EV's are only 1 more db, the frequency range and response are almost identical, yet the EV's cost almost twice as much. If they are really that much better, I would like to go with them. If anyone knows anything I would really appreciate your help.

I am VERY, VERY serious about doing this before the end of the month.

Theoretically, if both speakers were new, which would you take?

I mean, the EV's are only 1 more db, the frequency range and response are almost identical, yet the EV's cost almost twice as much. If they are really that much better, I would like to go with them. If anyone knows anything I would really appreciate your help.

I am VERY, VERY serious about doing this before the end of the month.

Even if new I would still go with the SRX's. EV makes a fine product but the pricing is just too much. I was so close to buying 2 EV ZX5, but at 850.00 per cab for a passive speaker it was just too much. So I went with RCF's and I still had some money left over to buy bags for them. JBL's can be pricey also, but I love SRX's.

Thanks bro. I will take you up on that offer.

That ZX5 is one good looking and great sounding speaker. I heard it at the local Sam Ash in Manhattan 47th St. I loved it.
My budget was more in the ZX4 range. I have my eye out on the ZX5 and you can bet when the price drops I will buy a pair. I always check ebay for them also. I hope Michael does not see this.:sqbiggrin:

But if you do see it Mike. Can you hook a brother up with an EV employee discount? I will hang the EV banner at all events.......:sqcool:

Ok, here's my two cents

I have one word for you. The word is sensitivity.

The JBl SRX 718 is a very nice sounding sub. But look at the sensitivity rating. It does 95 db with 1 watt. To get it up to a 130 db peak you'll need to feed it 3200 watts. If you plan on daisy chaining them you will need a amp that can produce 6400 watts at 4 ohms when briged. As nice as this sub is I would not get it because of it's need for mega power.

The EV QRX 118s - Are you thinking of getting them used from Break Z??? Remember he lives in Gainesville, FL. The shipping to NY is going to kill you. Again here you have a sub with a low sensitivity rating. It's not as bad as the JBL, but it's still low. It will take 2400 watts to get this sub up to a 131 db peak. So when daisy chaining them you'll need a amp that can put out 4800 watts @ 4 ohms briged.

I would never get those subs. Their max SPL is to low and the amp you'll need for them is going to cost you big time. So lets take a look at one more sub. The Yorkville LS 808. It's a rear horn loaded sub. This thing hits very hard. It will out class both the JBL and EV. The sensitivity rating for this sub is a 105 db with 1 watt. The JBL sub can put out a 130 db peak with 3200 watts. Now the Yorkie 808 just needs 256 watts to produce the same SPL. Lets look at that again JBL needs 3200 watts VS the Yorkie needing 256 watts to produce a 130 db peak.

You can get a brand new Yorkville LS 808 for $600.00 per cab. Thats a much lower price then the EV or the JBL. The Yorkville 800 series subs are the best value on the market.

Price difference would be about $175 between the JBL and the Yorkville. The Yorkville weighs 120? lbs, and the JBL weighs 79. It's the weight that I'm really concerned about.

The amp would be an XTi4000, so a 4ohm load @ 3200 would still get me the 130 db peak.

Price difference would be about $175 between the JBL and the Yorkville. The Yorkville weighs 120? lbs, and the JBL weighs 79. It's the weight that I'm really concerned about.

The amp would be an XTi4000, so a 4ohm load @ 3200 would still get me the 130 db peak.

No, it would not. When daisy chaining two subs. The subs will split the power. So each JBL sub would get 1600 watts. That comes out to a 127 db peak. The Yorkville can put out a 127 db peak with just a 128 watts. If you were to put 1600 watts into the Yorkie it would produce a 137 db peak. Thats 10 db more then the JBL for the same amount of power.

The Yorkville 808 weight is 115 lbs and it has casters. The JBL sub has no casters.

No, it would not. When daisy chaining two subs. The subs will split the power. So each JBL sub would get 1600 watts. That comes out to a 127 db peak. The Yorkville can put out a 127 db peak with just a 128 watts. If you were to put 1600 watts into the Yorkie it would produce a 137 db peak. Thats 10 db more then the JBL for the same amount of power.

The Yorkville 808 weight is 115 lbs and it has casters. The JBL sub has no casters.

You guy's kill me sometimes.............Ever hear of a hand truck???

If you were to get the JBL subs with the Crown amp. Your max peak would be 130 db when coupled. Now if you got one Yorkville 808 and got the smaller Crown amp like the XTI - 2000 and used it briged. That one 808 would peak a 137 db. One yorkville will wipe the floor with two JBL subs.

Why do I keep hearing the term daisy-chain in this post? He said he was going to run one XTi4000 on EACH SRX sub.

Am I missing something?

I have recently acquired an SRX718 and so far love it, but will admit that it is slightly underpowered at the present time and that I haven't had a chance to really break it out yet.

The reviews on MusiciansFriend are excellent.