Issues with wireless lavalieres

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ George

New DJ
Jun 15, 2014
Embarrassing issue that I encountered a few times at a couple events...

I was running an Audio-Technica wireless lavaliere system for a ceremony, and the mic sound actually cut out a few times. Absolutely awful and unacceptable. I'd rather not mic the minister at all than run into this issue...

It wasn't my PA system, as the music never had any issues. Just the transmission of sound from the wireless lavaliere.

I was wondering if this issue could be attributed to something or someone crossing in between the receiver and the transmitter? Or if this system is just shot. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

I went ahead and bought a new lavaliere system hoping that at the very least that would fix the problem. The GTD Audio 2x800. Good buy?

Thanks again for all of your help! You all are the best.

Usually, when there is cutout, the problem is either mic placement or bodypack/antenna placement. Sometime mics get moved on a lapel and fold under the flap, so they sound ok on one side and not the other .. normally you don't get a cut-out but a marked drop-off.

Antennas are the usual culprit. Sometimes when people try to hide the bodypack, the antenna gets crumpled up and the signal becomes marginal at best and when it ends up on the opposite side of the body from the receiver, then you get a cutout .. no different than when someone cups the base of a handheld and then holds it against their body.

Only ways around this are to make sure the antenna is fully unfolded and that the receiver is positioned facing that part of the person (usually the back) .. might mean placing the mic receiver away from your setup. Can also use a larger or remote antenna.

I use Audio-Technica 3000 series mics and have issues even with those $600 units. Mostly due to someone misholding or mis-attaching the transceiver.

I have 2 of the AT 2000-series units and they'll dropout if you have bodies blocking path to the transmitter. With those units you'll need to get the receiver to have a clear shot of the minister. This is why I bumped over to GTD. With a 600ft range it'll pretty much pickup anywhere, anyhow.

One thing that we do is have the officiant wear the body pack in different locations on their body. For example, if it's a guy who is wearing a jacket, we go with the inside jacket pocket that is closest to our setup. Even behind the back, a single human body holds enough water where it can cause problems with a wireless signal. Another thought is, if you're having problems only in certain locations, it could be EMF fields unique to that venue or it could even be something in the soil (higher mineral contents, etc).

I would personally try the different body locations and see how that does before spending any money.

Reactions: Ausumm
it could even be something in the soil (higher mineral contents, etc)..

So...rent a back-hoe.....

Seriously, though.....how far away was the transmitter from the receiver?
Were the batteries fresh?

Embarrassing issue that I encountered a few times at a couple events...

I was running an Audio-Technica wireless lavaliere system for a ceremony, and the mic sound actually cut out a few times. Absolutely awful and unacceptable. I'd rather not mic the minister at all than run into this issue...

It wasn't my PA system, as the music never had any issues. Just the transmission of sound from the wireless lavaliere.

I was wondering if this issue could be attributed to something or someone crossing in between the receiver and the transmitter? Or if this system is just shot. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

I went ahead and bought a new lavaliere system hoping that at the very least that would fix the problem. The GTD Audio 2x800. Good buy?

Thanks again for all of your help! You all are the best.
It makes no sense and a waste of time to give you solutions since you already went out and purchased the new GTD Audio Unit. If it works, great! If not, then ask for assistance before spending more money. We are here to help but in this case help is no longer needed. Good Luck!

It makes no sense and a waste of time to give you solutions since you already went out and purchased the new GTD Audio Unit. If it works, great! If not, then ask for assistance before spending more money. We are here to help but in this case help is no longer needed. Good Luck!

Not sure that's true, as many times it isn't the hardware used, but how it's deployed. The GtD will benefit from careful mic placement and bodypack/antenna use as well.

Not sure that's true, as many times it isn't the hardware used, but how it's deployed. The GtD will benefit from careful mic placement and bodypack/antenna use as well.

To date, I've never seen a drop-out on a GTD unit. I see it, infrequently on my AT units. If you're going to stick with AT, get the external antenna. It's money well-spent. Of course it will cost you $150 and for $180 you can have a brand new, 2-channel GTD with lav and hand-held.

So...rent a back-hoe.....

Seriously, though.....how far away was the transmitter from the receiver?
Were the batteries fresh?

Maybe 50' with brand new batteries. At the one place where we think it's partly the mineral content, we just run a hard line. Mind you this isn't for a ceremony, it's for a remote speaker outside, so running cables isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: Ausumm

Steve is right, without knowing why the issue happened, you could very well run into the same problem.

Reactions: ittigger
To date, I've never seen a drop-out on a GTD unit. I see it, infrequently on my AT units. If you're going to stick with AT, get the external antenna. It's money well-spent. Of course it will cost you $150 and for $180 you can have a brand new, 2-channel GTD with lav and hand-held.

I've used one of my handhelds on the opposite side of a football field (width wise), so I'd guess about 150' with no issues. I've had people hold it 15' away and have it drop-out because they hold the bottom tightly (where the internal antenna is) then proceed to smother the whole thing with the rest of their body as they sheepishly talk into their chest.

If I did more live work, I'd pick up a set. I have an antenna amp/combiner with half-wave antennas n my rack. It's a wide-band EV unit and works great.

Reactions: ittigger
Steve is right, without knowing why the issue happened, you could very well run into the same problem.
You are missing the point. I never said he was right or wrong or that something will or will not work. The fact is he already chose a solution when he went out and got the GTD unit. Well then, let him come back and tell us if HIS solution worked. I don't think he is going to go out and buy another Unit after he has already purchased one. He will soon learn one way or another! We can discuss things til we are blue in the face, what good will it do, that is no longer the issue!

Last edited:
But, AHDJ, answers given here can be very instructive for future newbs/lurker-users that stumble-upon this thread. I haven't heard anyone mention strain-relief, for instance. It's a good idea to put that little taped looped in the lav-mike cord to prevent as much movement noise as possible, as well as generally relieving strain on that tiny mike cable!

GJ

Reactions: DJ J Mac
But, AHDJ, answers given here can be very instructive for future newbs/lurker-users that stumble-upon this thread. I haven't heard anyone mention strain-relief, for instance. It's a good idea to put that little taped looped in the lav-mike cord to prevent as much movement noise as possible, as well as generally relieving strain on that tiny mike cable!

GJ
I hate to have to point this out but DJs are complaining that Clients/Prospects are cheap and don't want to pay. Yet, we have DJs who want to get by with sub standard equipment and expect flawless results!
There are lots of good units out there that will do the required job and some are not cheap. Question is, for an event as important as someone's Wedding at a time as important as the Ceremony, does one really want to chance it with questionable equipment?
EV, Shure, Sennheiser and Line 6 all make units for applications such as this one. You are also correct with the strain relief and placement. Most of the noise that come from Lavalieres are from the loose clothing brushing against it! I wish there was some kind of screw type BNC connector to connect the Lav to the Bodypack to keep it from popping out and getting loose.