Is digital music and killing good sound?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

drzinc

Trini missing JTV
Jun 7, 2008
Toronto
www.drzdj.com
All I can say is that iTunes stuff looks scary in Sound Forge (Over saturation everywhere). I'll stick to CD's and DVD's and make the most of them and as we've talked before FLAC is coming to my collection.

I don't think it's true .. some headphone technology today is far better than what was available 30 years ago. And in general, the capabilities of MP3 (used properly) are far better than FM, AM or listening to an album on a $10 needle and cartridge.

I think production processes have strayed and music is over compressed, over boosted, over everything .. just because it can be.

But in general, when I think about what I listened to out in the wild when I was 20 (pocket radio, walkman), a decent MP3 into a fair set of headphones is a better experience.

Now if the question is "Given the availability of a high accuracy source (CD, .wav, etc.), why do people listen to 128K MP3 files?" .. well I guess that's what's available in the torrents.

I don't think it's true .. some headphone technology today is far better than what was available 30 years ago. And in general, the capabilities of MP3 (used properly) are far better than FM, AM or listening to an album on a $10 needle and cartridge.

I think production processes have strayed and music is over compressed, over boosted, over everything .. just because it can be.

But in general, when I think about what I listened to out in the wild when I was 20 (pocket radio, walkman), a decent MP3 into a fair set of headphones is a better experience.

Now if the question is "Given the availability of a high accuracy source (CD, .wav, etc.), why do people listen to 128K MP3 files?" .. well I guess that's what's available in the torrents.

Very well stated and summarized Steve! Spot on!

I remember walking the 3 miles to school with a back pack and holding a Bible sized AM radio as a companion.

Wow how far we've come. At home I listen to MP3's at 320cbr on my I Pod through a really nice Polk Audio sound system and I could not be happier!

So while many do listen through laptop speakers or cr*ppy ear buds, that's their choice. If it works for them, who am I to argue as long as they are aware they are cheating their music...not that they'd care anyway.

I certainly don't want to imply that the sound couldn't be better, and in an ideal location, say your home man cave, with background sounds (furnace, etc.) muffled and listening to high resolution audio (maybe DVD-Audio or SACD) through High end equipment, sitting in an ideal spot (dead center) .. Yea, it can be better ....

BUT .. relatively speaking, through a typical PA system, I still do not believe the average Joe can hear any difference between SACD, CD direct or a good (256K+) MP3 file ... I agree it doesn't take much more to bring uncompressed or lossless files, but the payback is minimal if at all ... at least in a non-personal environment. Nothing against it, but the realities of most pools limit you to 320K files and CDs are getting tougher to find for current material.

I do think that music production values have plunged, since anyone can release their own "music", but as I said above, it's not because of digital playback equipment .. but due to the simplicity of digital recording and editing equipment.

I was never a big fan of mp3's from the beginning. When it comes to play back, my mp3's sounds just as good as my cd's through my dj system. As Steve stated in his post the loss of quality is from the studio end of the recording. If you play your music through a quality sound card and a good mixer, your music will still sound just as good as cd based system in my honest opinion.

I was never a big fan of mp3's from the beginning. When it comes to play back, my mp3's sounds just as good as my cd's through my dj system. As Steve stated in his post the loss of quality is from the studio end of the recording. If you play your music through a quality sound card and a good mixer, your music will still sound just as good as cd based system in my honest opinion.
True, but comparing an iTunes song to the same song purchased on a CD then ripped and tweaking it a little bit before converting to mp3 you can notice a difference. Running through a high quality mixer and sound system makes a really big difference. I see idiotic things studios have been doing and the end product leaves a lot to be desired.

I jst hope things improve to make listening to the new stuff more enjoyable ;)

I too disagree that the "digital" age is killing sound.

First of all, discs are "digital"

But there are many options today that can provide great sound.

If someone doesn't want to spend a lot of money, there is a lot of options that wasn't available years ago.

Most likely, any quality decline is linked to the changing sales channels and the record companies' struggles to adapt to make a profit.

http://istandardproducers.com/istandardtv/the-distortion-of-sound-film/

As we continue to live in a digital age, the decreasing quality of music due to the popularity of mp3s and lackluster headphones becomes a bigger problem for those who are truly passionate about music.

Those that are truly passionate about music don't use MP3 or any other compression format. As for me I can hear the difference at home I listen to mainly CD but on the road the convenience of MP3 trumps the better quality sound of CD or Record

My guess there might be 1 in every 1000 that don't make a living with music that can really tell

It's kind of like photography. A great DSLR is much better than an iphone, no one disputes that. However, hardly anyone carries around an expensive DSLR with them every where they go. An iphone is much more convenient to carry around, plus it does many other things. When you need or want a picture, an iphone can take a fine picture. Certainly better than not having a camera.

Same with music. Often, what you have at the moment you want it beats not having it at all.

I'll take having choices and convenience over having perfection only sitting at home any day.

Keep in mind that not so long ago, you had to go to an actual, professional recording studio.
These days, a teenager with a few pieces of readily available digital gear can do it in his/her bedroom.
As with most things, making it EASIER does not usually make it BETTER.

Funny thing is tat in the early to mid 80's I wanted to put together a small disco in my parents house for my parties. So I got help from my parents looking for something. A company was selling full video mixer, screen projector and some more stuff then... we got the price tag in excess of $120,000.00 USD. So that part of my dreams went out the window. Today I can do all that and more with VDJ, can also edit different things with it and for more complex st6uff I have Sony Vegas PRO 13, Sound Forge PRO 11 and ACID PRO 7 and more stuff for a fraction of the price. Gotta love technology but one needs to do things the right way.

I remember looking in to video dances in the late 80s and early 90s and Jacob is pretty bang on there it would have cost me close to 100,000. For an adequate library at the time would have been more than the whole setup now

Jeff

Reactions: DJ SVO and ittigger