Input needed on new crank lighting stand setup

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Just ordered a new 13ft crank stand and truss mount from cheaplights.

140crank13b.gif 195cart.gif

The bar says it's 21" across. I'm looking to drill sideways (towards each end), thru the crossbar and use that to mount 2 Martin Acrobats. I'll then drill vertically and use that to mount a Source Four Jr zoom leko on top. I'm also wanting to come up with some kind boom arm projector mount but that's where I'm scratching my head. Need a mount that will do full X-Y axis adjustments and has solid thumb bolt locks on it. Ideally, that will let me crank the bats up nice and high and I'm thinking would put a data project (gobo) around 10 feet, which should give a nice angle to the floor for both the projector and the leko. Any suggestions on the projector mount?

Reactions: Ron and steve149
The truss adapter is designed to carry only a vertical compression load, and from the photo appears to be hollow steel tubing.

If you side mount fixtures you may have risk of a tear-out hazard. It will also add a torque load to the center column and legs of the crank-up lift (also designed for balanced vertical loads.)

Let us know what you think of the quality....please.!?

I've owned one of the 9ft truss/stand kits for 5 years and that is excellent quality, albeit heavy (steel construction). I'm skeptical of a lot of the cheaplights stuff but the hardware items seem to be good quality.

Like any pole mounted item, the key is maintaining the Center of Gravity over the pole. It becomes a little tougher with multiple items .. especially if some are in motion, so make sure weight distribution is even in both directions.

Like any pole mounted item, the key is maintaining the Center of Gravity over the pole. It becomes a little tougher with multiple items .. especially if some are in motion, so make sure weight distribution is even in both directions.

Agreed (both you and giggles). The crank stands I have are solid steel with nice, wide legs on them and I expect this to just be a longer version. Incidentally, I currently use an Ultimate Support TS99 (aluminum) and hang the bats off the center-pole. Keep in mind also that I'm looking to hug the Acrobats up close to the pole but giggles is right about the possible tear-out as I'll have to bolt the fixtures to the side of the bar. If this were an aluminum T, I wouldn't do it but I'm guessing this unit is steel. If it's questionable I'll just run down to lowes and fashion a T out of iron pipe. At 50 lbs, I doubt the stand will even need to be weighted. It is going to be nice to get a steeper angle on the leko and projector. I'm often shooting at 45 degrees now and focus on the leko is often a pet peeve.

Okay, I'm talking to myself. I just ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RPM-MP0010-Projector-Mount/dp/B004AHFF3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381783274&sr=8-1&keywords=Rosewill RPM-MP0010 Projector Mount

31NYx%2Bks0VL._AA190_.jpg
I'm thinking to perm-mount it to the top of the cross-bar. That will put the projector on top of the rig. The leko can be mounted to the center-pole by an o-clamp. Might take some practice to get it to hit right but I think it's worth a shot.
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering how you made out with this... any pics?

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering how you made out with this... any pics?

I wish I had ordered 2 of these as it appears cheaplights doesn't currently have them available. This is an excellent stand, although a bit heavy. If you need to get above 9 feet, it fits the bill perfectly.