Weddings I'm no Peter Merry

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Status
Not open for further replies.
One was a wedding on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Get outta my territory! :sqlaugh:

Seriously, I wish I had know because I would have helped if I could.

Bill & Steve:

I have no problems believing that it can be done but I just have problems believing one particular person that throws it other DJs like some spoiled little brat. "Nah, nah, na, nah, nah, I'm better than you 'cause I get $5,000 per event." And the way he frames it is that he gets it every time. I just don't believe it without the proof.

I know Peter is Honest, I have seen enough proof of his work & his fees to know that he is telling the truth. BUT, I have heard that argument years ago. Show me the contract, then that isn't good enough, then show me the cancelled check, then that isn't good enough, Then show me your tax returns, then that isn't good enough, then show me your bank statements................

It is a never ending circle. I have earned enough consistently as a DJ to know it can be consistently & I know Peter earns what he says he does. If he doesn't, it shouldn't be too hard to find lots of coordinators or others willing to rat him out.

I know Peter is Honest, I have seen enough proof of his work & his fees to know that he is telling the truth. BUT, I have heard that argument years ago. Show me the contract, then that isn't good enough, then show me the cancelled check, then that isn't good enough, Then show me your tax returns, then that isn't good enough, then show me your bank statements................

I stand corrected if he has done ANY of the above... else, its all smoke and mirrors. nuff' said!

I must intervene on this saying "It is a he said she said effort at best" Regardless of yay or nay all I might add is that the man must be working 365 days a year to fit 50 gigs in, travel across the country 12 months a yr and also attending every convention across the country. I think its time for a vacation. Having said that Peter is not here nor able to respond so poking daggers or defending him will only continue the he said she said. I see no value to continue such banter.

Why are you guys so "fixated" on him? I'm neither a fan nor a detractor and can't understand why it's such a big topic of conversation that keeps going around in circles. :dontknow:

Why are you guys so "fixated" on him? I'm neither a fan nor a detractor and can't understand why it's such a big topic of conversation that keeps going around in circles. :dontknow:

I'm not so sure it's Peter himself Kirb -- just the attitude that comes from the followers...

Peter's just trying to make a buck, best I can tell. His followers, on the other hand, seem to consider this whole thing gospel or something... :sqerr:

But as to your point -- if he wasn't talked about daily (by said followers) -- he would not be relevant... ;)

It seems like the detractors like to bring him up more than his supporters? :dontknow:

Oh well, I have no dog in the fight and will watch from the sidelines! :trismug:

Let's talk about something more pleasant.....How's Faith doing today?:tricool:

We were practicing walking, and not biting people today... :)

With security threats, I left her outside too much this summer, and got her a bit toooooo aggressive. Now I have to calm her down for a couple days in doggy jail... :sqerr:

Easier said than done -- but fun... :)

Hey even better lets leave this thread to smolder and turn to Arshes and start another one about Faith. Ricks comments are golden I wish this was more commonly recognized Rosanne and Tom extended their hapless career with similiar successful maneuvers. But both of them may have made it to the most famous couch once or twice atleast.

$400 gigs will only lead to more $400 gigs.

Why is there a 5 page thread on this? If you believe the man, great! If you don't, great too!. Its personal opinion, and yes personal opinions CAN be different! Sheesh.......

Words of wisdom from the next generation!!! You go Brian!!!!

And once again - who the heck is Peter Merry and where have I been for the last 50 years? You all need to get your head out of other people's butts and move on. I have never heard of Peter Merry and I can bet if I went out this weekend and mentioned his name to the 50 plus bands or DJ's I know and correspond with on a daily basis they have never heard of him nor care - No offense Peter (if you are reading this or have people telling you what is being said in here) but I don't worship any idol not even you! Later Gators!!!:trismug:

And Brian - Go to bed it's past your bed time!!!!!!!!! JK Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and speaking of arshes - I think the other anal thread got deleted. WTH happen!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????:tritongue:

His attitude. As I said, he shoves his price in the face of everybody else. He's also one of these worther's that thinks that everybody should be making over $1,000 no matter what market you work in and he shoves that in your face too. His attitude is that if you aren't making over $1,000 then you are wrong. Sorry Pete, some markets just can't support that figure. Then, if you can't make over $1,000 then you are a bottom feeder in his eyes.

Don't get me started on his snobbish attitude towards part time DJs.

According to Peter, he pulled himself up from the gutter. That's great and I say use it. But, just because you have success now doesn't mean that you have to look down on the rest of DJ society.

Pete, you've got my e-mail address and phone number. Call me. I'm willing to listen and to talk.

I have never heard of Peter Merry and I can bet if I went out this weekend and mentioned his name to the 50 plus bands or DJ's I know and correspond with on a daily basis they have never heard of him nor care

I wish I could be in that boat.

I will tell you that when I first saw Peter Merry on the 1% Solution DVD I thought what he was doing was great. It was one of his bridal party introductions where he does a comedic introduction for each member of the bridal party with music and sound effects. Now I think it is cheesy; not because of him but because of experience with it.

Then I met him and thought he was a nice guy; but, then again, I was praising him.

Then he wrote that ****ing book; The Best Wedding Reception, Ever. Overall, the book has some good and not so good stuff in it but most of it goes towards the high end weddings. Sorry, we just don't have enough high end people here to support this. But the worst part of the book is where he groups part time DJs with hobbyists.

OK, definition time.

Hobbyist - Does not run a DJ business; that is, does it mostly for fun and any money made goes into equipment. I am now officially in that category because I have shut down the business. Other than Friday nights at the Elks I probably won't be DJing at all anymore.

Part Time DJ: Runs as a business and has other means to support life needs.

The important part is that the part time DJ runs it as a business and can be just as professional as the full time DJ, but, not in Peter's eyes.

At the time I was a part time DJ and was offended. Peter tried to smooth it over by suggesting that part time was sort of a semi-pro thing like football but that went over like a fart in an elevator.

Peter is a snob. I wish I was in your shoes and did not know him, met him, or even heard of him. But, the damage is done.

Tommy,
You need to learn to let it go. You are never going to agree with everything you read. You sound like you are fixated on that book. I too, disagree that all part timers are hobbyist.

It simply doesn't make sense to completely disregard everything someone says because I disagree with something they said. If you really just disagree with everything the person is about, don't worry about it...forget about it....and DONT LET IT BOTHER YOU.

As far as "proof" goes, I think people can use a lot of common sense. When people are full of BS, you don't have people that know them saying everything that the person said is true. I have met and or talked to several people that say everything about him is legit. The only people that say "bull" are people that do not know him. You don't have DJs starting threads saying a client saw this person DJ a wedding and LOVED it and wanted to have some of those things at their wedding(which is why this thread was started).

Regardless, No one should be fixated on anybody...positively or negatively. If you are not interested this person or anyone else in the wedding industry....then don't worry about it.

But don't take potshots at people. It makes you look petty. Find something more positive to post about

Status
Not open for further replies.