I'm a good and expereinced part time DJ. Thinking about making it a career. Looking for advice.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DoubleJ

New DJ
Apr 20, 2014
Hi everyone, my name is Matt. I'm excited to find this site, I was a member of another site for many years but the mobile section was just a sub forum, and traffic is pretty limited these days. The professional perspectives I see in these forums look to be a great resource.

Here's the story. I'm sure it's going to be long, so thanks for your attention.

Background (skip this if you want to)

From 2008-2012 I built a mobile DJ skill set and generated some good side income from it. I hosted a radio show for this time, did a bi-monthy vinyl night for nearly 2 years, some various other gigs, and started getting into weddings. I'm 34 so my friends were getting hitched and it started that way. First free for friends, then discount for friends ($200), then discount for strangers($400), then full price for strangers ($600). I know $600 is not really full price for a pro DJ, but I only had 2 RCF Art 312 tops, a corded mic, two turntables, my macbook and serrato. Yes, I am old school. Started with hip hop. Can beat match and all that.

I stopped doing it. As a second job, I realized just how much work it was to be a good DJ. I also realized I would need to invest further in equipment to make the next steps. I decided to invest in my primary career (non profit management) and let the DJ thing go, so that I would have some free time. I also moved to a rural area for a great job. Not alot of DJing opportunities here, plus I don't need the $, so that's nice.

I'm going to make a career change, though. I'm a middle manager, and for a variety of reasons would like to switch fields. I'm considering further education, etc, but I am also considering investing in a career owning and managing a mobile DJ business.

I always loved it, and I was good, particularly at weddings. I took a lot of time with the couples to figure out how to build my playlists, and I had a good niche as a "non-cheesy" wedding DJ. I played some of the tried and true stuff, and sometimes a lot during dancing, but I was always very successful with people who didn't want line dances and a cheesy overbearing MC and the same Sinatra and Sarah Vaughn and Jack Johnson songs at dinner, etc... But as you know, the real key to the whole thing is customer service. Professional appearance and interactions. Prompt replies during planning. Well-prepared. Clear expectations. And then and only then choice song selection that is not too snobby to pack a dancefloor and not too cheesy to turn some people off. My strength was that my weddings felt personal, like a hand-crafted experience that was unique to the couple and their friends and families. Not just the same-old. And I loved it. It was exhausting, but I loved it and learned A LOT.

The meat of the question:

What's the process like to build a viable career out of this? I have management experience, am comfortable with accounting, essentially I have a decent skill-set for a small business owner. I'd like to target an income (once established) of 50K minimum. Quickly running the numbers it seems I'd really have to build up the AV equipment warehouse, hire on a couple people, and aim for 75-100 gigs annually at an average of $1200 a gig. That's A LOT! Just figuring to clear 50K I'd have to have a business income of around 100K anticipating expenses to be around half that (payroll, insurance, debt accrued in initial years, equipment, vehicles, marketing, taxes).

Again, that seems like A LOT! Not only a lot of work, but an ambitious goal.

I know you probably don't exactly want to open your books on this forum, but do you think I'm generally correct in my assessment? How many gigs do you target annually? Do you have employees? Is this your only job? Can you support yourself and a (dual income) family on it? How many years of rough times did you have before getting a good economic foothold in the industry? Of course anecdotal stuff is great too, if you knew someone else in these kinds of circumstances.

Is this a fool's errand? I know the marketplace is competitive, and that doesn't scare me honestly. But if the market is flooded, that's another thing. FYI I'd likely look to establish myself in Boston. I have some connections to build on out there.

Importantly, one of the primary appeals of this (should the math prove viable) is the flexibility that comes with owning your own business. Do you feel that freedom, and get to take advantage (vacations, relaxed work weeks, good work-life balance)?

Thanks for reading, and with any luck, responding! I hope this thread can be useful to others in similar situations. I know a lot of us do it part time for side income and whatnot, and may think about the next step, the big show!

Last edited:
Seek out known successful full-timers and engage them in a private one on one conversation.

Also do a search on this forum for various related topics.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck, however more so, good skill.

cheers! I did some searching- "career" "how much money" and found nothing pertinent, going through four or five pages of results. If you can recall any specific threads or offer any search terms I'd be happy to check them out

Welcome to the board Matt I'll chime in in a bit with my 2 cents

You are aiming quite high. Sounds like you are well prepared and knowledgeable...which is important. You have a lofty goals regarding income and number of gigs. All well and good...but you probably have well established DJs in your market. You are looking at leapfrogging those people. That's a lot of gigs that you plan on taking from the current DJs in your market. We have some guys here from the Boston area. Perhaps they can help with market insight. Best of luck.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Unless you buy an established company (name) that has a good reputation, it will most likely take you a few years...if not longer...to be where you want. You've got to get your name and style out in the public eye. I can't see you doing this overnight. However, with the skill set you have already mentioned you are most likely further ahead than one with limited to no experience.

To make those big bucks, you will definitely need plenty of "up-grades". I believe you mentioned AV. Consider photo booth and mega lighting service. The area of the country and metropolis will play an important financial part of making your goal attainable. If you can cater to the Jewish community, you've got a cash cow to help you along the way...just saying.

Good luck. Welcome to the lion's den, too. Many here don't sugar coat responses so you may need to have a strong outer shell. And, at times you will want to have plenty of popcorn in the house for those long drawn out threads...unless of course you are one of the adversaries. LOL! :)

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Ask yourself this one question. 'What if I was in a major car accident. What then?'

Other things to consider: Health Insurance, Savings for Retirement, Workers Comp., etc..

Can you continue to get gigs when you are in your 50's and 60's?

IMO, there are very few fulltime DJ's who have thought this through and have a solid plan in place.

Always seems like EXPERIENCE is the game changer when it comes to making money.
Experience means more people have seen you or know you, experience gets you get more gigs, experience allows you to charge more.
(of course, the experience is useless without being GOOD at)
I think most of us would agree that trying to do this full time straight out of the gate will be extra tough.
Most full timers had a another job to fill in the gaps until the business could stand on it's own.
As far as how much to charge, there are a million variables,
so I would find out how much the other DJ's in your area are making, and base your rate accordingly.
It seems you are well prepared to make a stab at it, so good luck!

DoubleJ, I think you've got your numbers about correct. I still work a day job and run 75-100 events per year, almost all weddings although we average more like $1k. I think the key to getting your rates north is in add-ons. If you've got a good menu and present them well to prospects, you'll find that most will always add something on. Also, don't forget to re-pitch signed clients as they often will have budget come available during the planning process. It's just a matter of having variety and knowing how and when to pitch it. I think you've also got to focus on mid-week gigs; specifically corporate and maybe even bar or K-gigs in the short term. The one thing I'd caution you on is shooting for a "good enough" number like $50k. While that may be what you need to pay the bills, it likely is not enough to keep you in the game, long term. In my book you need to be always stretching and trying to find a way to increase revenue. Finally, on the subject of booking others, make sure you have your game down and that you have the cash flow to finance equipment purchases, especially in the first few years. Even more than the equipment, make sure you have good people who are working with you and that you have your system down to a science on how to plan out an event and get the details correct. As many of you might remember, I went thru a few years of hiring low-quality talent and man, there's just nothing more stressful than having some slug who screws up your gigs for you. Good luck with your endeavor.

These guys are handing out some good advice...

If it was me I would make it a 5 year plan to go full time. From my understanding you are looking at moving to Boston to start up? That's a big market but there are also alot of DJ's there very well established.

Best of luck

Wow guys, I'm not disappointed with the advice here. I really appreciate the professionalism on this forum. I know it is a tall order, and while I would like to just say "dream big and do it," the truth is the many hurdles give me pause. At the end of the day, this is about my career, even though I love DJing a realistic view of the five year plan Jeff mentions equals a major investment of time and money, an investment that may be better used on further professional training and a more traditional professional career.

And to Cap's point, I did hone my searches a little on here and found a sample business plan buried in a thread, and various other sound (yuk) advice. I'm going to continue to mull it over, since I really would like to work for myself. But DJ Wes brings up an important point, and it's not a leap that can be made with out really looking first.

Cheers, guys! Oh, and do you, like, have any Rhianna? The girls want to dance to like some good music.

Find an unmet need/demand and focus on that. Start with an open mind rather than searching for cracks to squeeze in your previous concept of DJ service.

One thing I would caution you on is the notion that "weddings are my strength." That's far too common to be something to bank on. The truth is nearly ALL adult DJs focus on weddings because there are few other avenues in which they fit. DJing in the private event sector is also largely being replaced and dumbed down by end-user automation - that plug-n-play world we live in. The less technical the requirements are the less opportunity there is to make money. While "customer service" is important - it is also a baseline expectation and therefore a difficult point upon which to differentiate yourself in a field which itself is best described as personal services. Add-ons do not constitute a customer service - they are just inventory and easily obtained from a variety of sources.

If you are talking about a career you are talking about YOU and unique ideas or abilities - not equipment, types of events, or prices. Does the world need another coffee shop? Probably not. When a success story happens there is something more to the business than simply having good coffee - because, there is already a lot of good coffee. What is that people want and are not presently getting?

I wasn't going to chime in. So far you've gotten some great advice and I like the one about you finding DJ's doing this full time and learning from them. I read what you posted and had some concerns. You look like you've got some good ideas and are pointed in the right direction.

My concerns are that first you said you started out doing some free gigs, some for $200.00, some $400.00 and some for $600.00. Then you went on to say to make your decision work that you would need to bump the price up for doing a wedding to $1,200.00. That's double the price of $600.00 which is the most you've ever done. Just wanted to know how you will pull that off and what you plan to offer for that price? In other words why should someone pay $600.00 more to book you to do their wedding? I like your thoughts on looking for different prospective clients in another area that can afford that price or more.

The other thing you mentioned is how you need more gear. I love that you have a pair of RCF tops. Depending on the model speakers they make some of the best speakers in the world! My concern is what else do you think you need? Not want because buying gear can be addictive and all the time there is the latest thing coming out. How do you plan to get these things? I just want to caution you about taking money from another source to pay for these things. Let the money for such purchases come from the money you make from the business. I've made that mistake and let my addiction get the best of me. Don't also think that because you buy more gear that automatically potential clients will look to pay you more. That will happen because of how you sell yourself and not the gear you use. You also mentioned you wanted to get into AV. Nothing wrong with that. Just remember not everyone will want that package from you meaning they won't want to spend the extra money. That's a great idea to at least have it to offer to those that will spend the money for you to provide it. Godd luck or should I say good skill in what you do.

Another great tip, ignore almost everything mixmastermachom says
Another good tip is to read what I said first before you make a judgement. I'm not saying don't do it. I was first just wondering how he was going to get people to pay double the price he is charging now to do a wedding? I'll say that will have to come over time. Just how long will that take? I don't know. One thing I wanted ask is does he have any videos of his work that he can show to potential clients and does he have a website? Not that he has to have one, just curious.

Bob Carpenter mentioned to me years ago I need to increase my prices slowly over a period of time. Not just jumping off the roof all at once. I could kick myself in the butt for not doing so. Just settling for whatever came along. The gear thing is simple. I learned my lesson about buying gear the hard way. Being stupid and not letting the business pay for the gear. Hell at the prices I was doing gigs for there really wasn't enough of a profit to take money to buy the gear with.

and there's reason number 1
The other thing you missed is him talking about needing more gear to get to do what he needs to do. I'm very proud that he said with just 2 RCF tops he was able to get $600.00 to do a wedding. Him getting that more then once says that he had to put on a great show and that proves it's not about the gear you use but the great show you can put on. There is no disguising bad gear. If it sounds like crap and your speakers are cracking all over the place people will likely notice and will not be happy.

I would just like to know what other gear does he plan on buying, and how long will it take to get the gear he wants? I know what I have now is awesome. It took some time for me to get what I have today and it certainly wasn't cheap. At least in my eyes. Some will say that's nothing and talk about how much more they paid for what they got. I just know that I'm proud of what I have so far. Do I want more? Of course I do! I guess I'll never be satisfied. I just have to be practical. Just because it's something I want doesn't mean I need it. The next 4 things I can think of that I need is a powered speaker to use for a monitor and 2 lights to use to light up the lighted facade to make it look right instead of what I have just to make do. Also another TV stand to use for the other TV I bought for the business. Musically Yours in Hackinsack, NJ is having a special sale this Wed. by invitation only. It's not open to the general public. The sale is for up to 70% off. If I can pull it off I want to get that monitor.

Last edited: