I think this is a first for me.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I got a call from a guy that we did his daughters sweet 16. He was calling about us doing his mother in laws surprise 80th birthday party. I don't ever remember doing a surprise 80th birthday party. I've done surprise birthday parties before but I don't remember one for someone turning 80. The party is the day after my birthday party which is June 6th. I asked about the music they want and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I'll call him tomorrow to find out what is going on with the music they want. It's going to be a mixed crowd of young and old.

I plan on taking pictures that day of the party itself and our setup. I also plan to get some video so I can get them loaded onto mu tablet and possibly the website. All I know right now for the music is that we will have to play music that both the old and young guest will like.

When we have done birthday parties for older people most won't dance. They will leave that up to the younger guest and just have fun watching them have a good time.

When I read the title to this thread "I think this is a first for me" I thought, "A thread that made sense?" Silly me.

Why do you believe that older people won't dance? I'm doing a 40th wedding anniversary on Sunday, and believe me, they will dance. Why? Because I will play the music they want dance to. I will not be playing the music that the younger people in attendance want to dance to.

Why are you still so focused on taking pictures for your website? How long has it been, 3 or 4 years? You should be focused on taking care of your clients and not on taking pictures.

On a final note, I'm jealous. I am a graduate of The University Of Missouri and I don't have a "mu tablet".

Reactions: Ausumm
If you intend on putting pictures and videos of people on your website (commercial use), the people in said pictures / videos must sign waivers and give you permission to do so.

If you intend on putting pictures and videos of people on your website (commercial use), the people in said pictures / videos must sign waivers and give you permission to do so.

Substitute the badges with waivers :D :D :D

Reactions: DJ_MJ and ittigger
She was born in 1934 which means she was in her prime in the rock and Roll era focus on 1950-58 for her crowd and work forward for everyone else. If I get a chance I'll did out a playlist I've done probably a dozen 70 and up birthdays in the last few years

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
Reactions: DJ_MJ and ittigger
When I read the title to this thread "I think this is a first for me" I thought, "A thread that made sense?" Silly me.

Why do you believe that older people won't dance? I'm doing a 40th wedding anniversary on Sunday, and believe me, they will dance. Why? Because I will play the music they want dance to. I will not be playing the music that the younger people in attendance want to dance to.

Why are you still so focused on taking pictures for your website? How long has it been, 3 or 4 years? You should be focused on taking care of your clients and not on taking pictures.

On a final note, I'm jealous. I am a graduate of The University Of Missouri and I don't have a "mu tablet".
What are you talking about. I was talking about the lady that is 80 and not everyone else. It's 4 hours and we'll do a nice mixture of music. At least what the client wants and not what I want.

Jeff,
My mother wants to throw a big party for my father's 70's birthday next year. I already started planning and getting stuff ready, it's going to be a blast :D :D

Jeff,
My mother wants to throw a big party for my father's 70's birthday next year. I already started planning and getting stuff ready, it's going to be a blast :D :D

Need a DJ? I could use a trip to Mexico ;)

Reactions: ittigger and DJ SVO
I was just surprised with this one. A surprise 80th birthday party. I just say thank God the lady is still alive.

I did a high school 60th reunion last September .. ages ran from 75-80's. They didn't dance a lot early on, since many hadn't seen each other in years. There were speeches (their boys basketball team won a state championship that year) and there was some storytelling. Near the end they were boogying to a bit of disco .. that seemed to be about the most recent music they cared to dance to.

I played a lot of late 40s - early 60s slower stuff during cocktails and dinner (Sinatra, Joni James, Eddie Fisher, Perry Como, Elvis, etc.). Not generally my cup of tea, but they all left happy .. and I got a half dozen inquiries for future business from it (other similar parties of spouses mainly).

So, is this a post about a Sweet 16 party or an 80th Birthday party?
Or is it just a post to say you got a phone call and might get a gig?

Perhaps the reason some people react badly to your posts, is that your posts are all about things that haven't happened.
It's nothing but coulda, shoulda, woulda...what you plan on doing...what you hope to make...
what a pain the venue owner is...what kind of music you might be playing...
and what kind of people might show up at the event.
Perhaps you should wait till the gig is over, and then give us a Gig Log report.

So, is this a post about a Sweet 16 party or an 80th Birthday party?
Or is it just a post to say you got a phone call and might get a gig?

Perhaps the reason some people react badly to your posts, is that your posts are all about things that haven't happened.
It's nothing but coulda, shoulda, woulda...what you plan on doing...what you hope to make...
what a pain the venue owner is...what kind of music you might be playing...
and what kind of people might show up at the event.
Perhaps you should wait till the gig is over, and then give us a Gig Log report.
Reread what I posted. I said that this client is someone that we did her daughters sweet 16 and loved what we did. We're doing her surprise 80th birthday celebration.

The gig will get taken care of. The problem I've had in the past are the younger guest who want what they want and don't want any of the music that older guest want to hear. I just find I have to politely explain I must play this now and I'll get to some of the stuff they want to hear later on. Normally I'll start off with the stuff the older guest will either listen or dance to and then move on up to the newer stuff of today. The dance participation songs usually work well with such events. It gets the young and old up to dance.

Also sticking to the basic stuff that most people know works great too. It bores me to death but it gets them dancing and makes them happy which is what is all about. It's not about me and what I want. If it was I would rarely do any gigs at all because what I like to play is songs that they haven't heard thousands of times before. Or at least 100's of times.

I try to keep all my guest happy, especially the ones that are paying. I have received a lot more gigs and referrals from people in their 40's to 60's than the younger crowd. Why, they have most of the money :) and I enjoy that music a lot more than a lot of the trash that hits the airways now. I always try to insure the older crowd has a great time at my dances and it pays big!!

I have pulled back from many of my school dances now, as the songs they require me to play just keep getting filthier.