I did a lighting only gig this past weekend and saw a cool set up so I thought I'd post. It looked v

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

maestro

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 30, 2006
British Columbia
www.musicmaestrodj.com
I did a lighting only gig this past weekend and saw a cool set up so I thought I'd post. It looked very clean, I liked it. Turns out that the DJ just showed up, did the gig, then went home. All of the DJ gear and sound was set up by a local dude who normally does live sound for bands. The guy charged $600 to supply all the DJ / audio gear, including the truss totem, decks, mixer, two QSC KW 18 subs, matching 15" tops, and another for a monitor, all set up in advance and torn down after. It's a good connection to have, just in case I ever need it. What do you think of the way the console is set up? The only thing I didn't like was that there was only four pieces of stage-tape holding the plexi-glass to the truss.

Totem with console - small copy.jpg Kimia - damask gobo projection.jpg

Yes, he could have done a better job taping down the wires.
Yes, there was no microphone. The family MC did all the announcing. Remember, this is Canada! Eh...
Yes, there was no computer. Instead, each CD player had its own thumb-drive supplying the MP3 files for the music. So in a way, he had back up ready to go.
Yes, a 4 to 6 inch high facade across the back would be all that's needed to hide the wires but it didn't look messy.
Yes, I can't stand the yellow plug under the console but I am probably the only one that noticed.

Your thoughts?

I think it looks cool. Yes, I probably would have hid the wires, but it looks like he was kind of going for that look, so I can understand it. The no computer thing wouldn't fly for me, but if it works for him, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Looks Cool.

That setup was Functional. I see nothing wrong with the Cables. I bet none of the Guests gave a damn. A Laptop is not needed when the Controller/Player has it's own source of Music. My Pioneer with Dual Decks and Drawers can replace my Laptop and I have used it that way several times. The Laptop is basically the Library and search engine for Controllers anyway!

I will say, I do think one needs to step up their game if your going to go with a glass and steel look. If it were me, every cable would have been velcroed in a tight bundle behind the mixer/players. I would have used cables with metal RCA connectors and not red/white plastic. The cables from the platform would have been pulled straight and gaffed lengthwise. The yellow AC connector at the bottom of the totem wouldn't be yellow.

It's sort of like wearing a Tux with old ripped basketball shoes. If you're going to do it .. do it right.

I don't know about you guys, but $600 is most of the money on my typical gigs. I appreciate easy, but not if I have to give away all my profit.

It looks to be about $7500 worth of gear, which would typically rent for $375-$500. Add in delivery, setup, teardown and removal and $600 isn't that bad. But yes, you'd have to be charging a good amount to pay that out.

Besides, that's Canadian $$ .. that's like $100 these days. :)

I'd also be curious as to what would happen if someone leaned on the edge of that table. The look is nice, but it makes me nervous when someone makes their own table.
How heavy is the plexiglass?
As you mentioned, doesn't seem attached properly. How much weight would it take to tip the glass off of the stand?
how much force is needed to tip that table over?

It looks too open to me.
Granted, I don't like how a façade ends up being a barrier between me and the guests...
but this leaves you nowhere to hide....anything!

Looks pretty cool, though!

Reactions: oldschooldj
I think it looks cool. Yes, I probably would have hid the wires, but it looks like he was kind of going for that look, so I can understand it. The no computer thing wouldn't fly for me, but if it works for him, I'm all for it.
Maybe he just uses CD's like a friend of mine? I hear you though. I gave up on using CD's a few years ago. I just gave away all my CD books to my girl.

Those decks are probably media controllers as well and most likely the music source will be flash drive, portable HD or iPod.

Thats a great "minimal" and clean set up, minus the yellow thing and 1 or 2 cables, but overall, very nice.
Sometimes I leave the facade at home and bring a similar set up, especially if its a short gig from first dance onwards - I feel that I can interact with the crowd and have more of a personal appeal and show off a little with DJ performance tricks etc

I small LED par in the truss would complete a great minimal set up.

Reactions: maestro
It looks too open to me.
Granted, I don't like how a façade ends up being a barrier between me and the guests...
but this leaves you nowhere to hide....anything!

Looks pretty cool, though!
I agree.... One boner from hot bridesmaids making song requests and your outed for sure.....lol :banana:

Reactions: Ausumm and maestro