How about this for a last minute call.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
First let me say I turned this gig down. Lately DJing has been fun for me. I need this sometimes as things can get boring at times when you've done this a long time. I need some events that are fun for me and the people to keep my spirits up about DJing and continuing on.

Now we did a birthday party this past Friday in that cigar lounge again that we've done a few events in. It was okay. They had a bunch of strippers there. Some of you may have been excited seeing that but for me that's boring. Anyhow it went okay.

I got a phone call yesterday at almost 3:30 from the lady we did the birthday party for. She wanted to know if we could come there yesterday. They were giving someone a surprise party of some kind. It was to start at 4:30. That meant we would have to go to my house and get the gear out of the basement, load it into the van and then get there to setup. That meant we wouldn't be setup by 4:30 even though the place isn't that far away from where I live.

I told her I had to do my radio show that evening. I turned the gig down because I didn't want to feel like going through what we went through on Friday. You had people coming up to us making demands that got on our nerves. I don't mind when people come up to us nicely asking for what they want like to request a song or something. I just hate when they come at you rude or pushy. The owner of the place kept getting on both our nerves along with some of the drunks in the place. That's why I don't care for a young crowd of drunks. I like an older more mature crowd that knows how to act. Of course I could always use more money but such things aren't worth the headache regardless of how much money a client is paying.

So I did the radio show instead. It was through the roof! Check me out later on soulfulvibe.com and look for DJ MACHO MAN 12-22-13. With all that said has anyone have a person call them about doing a gig that close to the start time for the gig? That's the closets last minute call I've ever gotten in all my years as a DJ.

Depends how much they were going to pay me. As for the rest that is all things in your head. Agian you should be marketing to the retirement homes. This way you will not worry about anyone having fun or botherin you.

Depends how much they were going to pay me. As for the rest that is all things in your head. Agian you should be marketing to the retirement homes. This way you will not worry about anyone having fun or botherin you.
Jimmy it's about people that are loud and rude getting in your face demanding what they want. Like if you don't do what I tell you this is what is going to happen. It wasn't just one person doing this but several people. Just a bunch of rude drunks. I'm at the age and have been doing this long enough that I don't have to do such gigs regardless of how much money they wanted to pay.

Jimmy it's about people that are loud and rude getting in your face demanding what they want. Like if you don't do what I tell you this is what is going to happen. It wasn't just one person doing this but several people. Just a bunch of rude drunks. I'm at the age and have been doing this long enough that I don't have to do such gigs regardless of how much money they wanted to pay.

I think what you're missing is that anyone at a party can be rude, loud and drunk. You're stereotyping if you apply this to only young people. Older people can be just as loud, rude and drunk.

I agree it was short notice, and have gotten one of those calls and took the gig, I did tell them I would not be setup until a 1/2 hour later than they requested, but they were ok with that. (their scheduled DJ pulled a no-show) But agreeing with itigger, you can have those kind of people anywhere. If you cannot handle it at all times, you might be in the wrong business my friend.
Also, just to make sure I got this right... you turned down a paying gig to do a free radio show?

Also, just to make sure I got this right... you turned down a paying gig to do a free radio show?

But it was off the hook .. and I assume he didn't want to displease the 10s of thousands of listeners.

C'mon Mix .. paid always beats free.

Reactions: Ron and ittigger
I think you enjoy finding reasons to not work. You want to find new ways to get leads because it makes you feel accomplished, but you want people to think you're too busy or successful or whatever to actually be able to help them. Case in point: you turned down a paying gig for a repeat customer to do an internet radio show that pays you nothing.

The "old and mature" crowd doesn't go out and party on a regular basis anymore, Mix. They can stay home and cook meals that taste better than anything they'll get at a restaurant, pour a drink, socialize with friends, flip on Music Choice R&B Classics and be in bed by 11pm. No fuss, no muss, no parking, no need for security. Just a good time with good friends.

Let's face the facts: You love to DJ, but you don't love the business anymore. Instead of buying new TVs and pouring money into online advertising, you might want to consider scaling back and just enjoy the ride as a hobbyist.

Last edited:
I almost never agree with much of what Mix says, probably because most of the time I don't have a clue on what he is saying once I get done re-reading his post :) I will admit that I have had a couple of customers that I will not do dances for again, and would rather do a free gig for charity than get paid by those customers.

I barley have anyone who pays attention to me when I post in the forum, so I am sure I would be wasting my time hosting an internet radio program :)

I rarely play for a drinking crowd so I don't get the pleasure of a lot of drunk, rude people, but I have found drunk, rude old people are much harder to deal with than yougins (40 and below) who have had to much.

I almost never agree with much of what Mix says, probably because most of the time I don't have a clue on what he is saying once I get done re-reading his post :) I will admit that I have had a couple of customers that I will not do dances for again, and would rather do a free gig for charity than get paid by those customers.

I barley have anyone who pays attention to me when I post in the forum, so I am sure I would be wasting my time hosting an internet radio program :)

I rarely play for a drinking crowd so I don't get the pleasure of a lot of drunk, rude people, but I have found drunk, rude old people are much harder to deal with than yougins (40 and below) who have had to much.

The main difference is you have a business base that is being built upon.

With all that said has anyone have a person call them about doing a gig that close to the start time for the gig

Mix i played at this one bar in town for somewhere around 5 years, from once a month to every other weekend. This one weekend i wasn't playing there my wife and i went down to the bar for couple of drinks and the next thing i know the manger comes up to me and says can you play tonight Ive got a lot of out of town people coming in. Good thing i only lived about a mile away. I was gonna say no but hey ill take the money

Last edited:
If I could make it work, yes. I'm certain I've come across something similar at some point. Of course, I have no partners or anyone else to worry about - just me and my stuff. I'm also ok playing to most any crowd and whatever music.

As already stated, the client would have to agree that I need time to get there and setup - so as long as we could agree on time, music and cost - I see no issue.

I also took a call on Saturday to play at a bar about 2 blocks from my house. This bar has new owners as of two weeks ago,The band they had hired canceled due to an impending snow storm. I was not personally able to do the gig but I did promise them I would find them a DJ and I did, why you ask, because I want them to know they can count on me to help them anytime they need me. I want to be the first phone call every time

First let me say this. The money they wanted to pay wasn't worth the headache they would give us. This is not a gig where I didn't know what to expect. I knew basically what it would be like because I've done enough stuff for them in the past. I can deal with people like that most of the time. That's acting like a true professional. There have been a few times, not many where I had to let it be known what I would and would not stand for.

Making money is nice and what I believe we all should be doing this for. However some gigs are not worth it just to say you did a gig and made some money. Too many people making too many demands for a little bit of money. Yes we could have done it. Especially since my partner needed the money because someone busted the window to their van and stole some stuff. That would have helped him get enough money they needed to replace the window. I didn't even ask him if he wanted to do it or not. I made my mind up it was a no go for us. He had no problem with that at all. He didn't want to be bothered with the drama.

For me money isn't always the determining factor in doing a gig or not. I have to feel comfortable with doing the gig. We may play there again in the future. Just not yesterday. I had enough of that place on Friday!

More than likely you have lost any future business to whoever they ended up with for this gig
No I don't think so but if I did so be it. The money wasn't that great to begin with. It was just to keep us busy. Nothing I will lose sleep over.

Considering money adds up .. and you have the possibility to get referrals at any turn, I also say you lost future business. Even 100 bucks a week over 52 weeks is 5200 bucks.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
The inability to see radioactive red numbers:banghead:

So why exactly did you start this thread?
To tell us that you got a phone call, and nothing came of it?
To let us know that you don't like dealing with rude, drunk people?

Have yourself a very Mix Xmas.