Hot gigs (temperature not intensity)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Just did a site survey on my 6/28 gig. It's in a horse barn, no A/C, loud fans mounted and dirt floor. This is a new "venue" that a Planner friend raved about and got me in on the gig so I bit my tongue and will do the job, as requested. The Bride can figure out on her own that she made a crappy choice.

My question is on how to stay cool on these kinds of things (barns, tents, etc.). I normally use a 12" fan and just try to stay hydrated. Wondering if any of you guys have tried building one of the 5-gallon bucket air conditioners or maybe use the cooling cloths like they sell at Lowes. How do you try to stay cool on these crap jobs?

For those June, July, August, and other "hot" months, outdoor events, like Ron I use a small fan, plenty of water and cooling cloths.

I will not due outdoor events from October through March and charge an additional $150 for outdoor events. I also inform my clients that I will not wear a suit or long sleeve shirt & tie. I dress in a pair of light weight slacks and a "dry fit" polo with my company logo.

Crappy choice? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a poor choice on the bride's part. The vast majority of weddings we do are in a barn (minus the dirt floor), no ac, hot and humid.

Here's what we do. You've got to prep yourself and prep your gear.
Yourself:
- drink plenty of water the night before
- get a great sleep the night before
- bring at least 6, 20oz bottles of water (a gatorade or two might help if it gets really bad)
- when driving to the event, use the windows, not the ac, this will help your body get used to the weather
- allow for extra setup time
- no ties or long sleeves or jackets
- I use kahkis and a button down short sleeve, but still keep the dress shoes

Your gear:
- keep it in the shade as much as possible
- keep a small fan on your laptop to help cool and one for you

I would NOT suggest a high power fan with a dirt floor, all you'll do is kick more dust and junk into the air.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
Bring a cooler filled with ice and position the fan to blow across the ice so that you are hit wit the cool damp air...put a fan toward the equipment setup, too. Stay hydrated. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing...everyone else will be doing the same thing...most likely. Perhaps the Bride and Groom will change from formal to casual after the ceremony and introduction/special dances.

Reactions: ittigger
Crappy choice? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a poor choice on the bride's part.

I stand by my choice of phrase. The Planner is a long-time friend, and she's just recently gotten back into the game. I'm disappointed that she would sell this location to one of her clients, especially at the end of June (and told her so, in a nice way). We're talking a 50X100 foot metal barn, tiny gravel/dirt floor, and the only thing to move air are 6 hugely-loud fans that are pole mounted. We're talking loud enough that it made it difficult to have a consultation with the client. My opinion, this is going to be a disaster of a wedding reception and rest assured, I will give it my best effort. On the plus side, I do expect to be able to go home early that evening.

Like many of you, I do a lot of outdoor events and I've seen my share of horse barns, tents, etc. While I don't like sweating it out, even a tent on grass is much preferable to dust, mixed with heat and poor air flow. The owner is refusing to go through codes and is trying to fly under the radar. This is a crap venue and I predict it's going to fail.

Reactions: DJ_MJ
Walmart link never loads. I've tried multiple browsers. I think you are suggesting the same fan I use. I love it.

0004601345412_500X500.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
We use the fans Wes mentioned--they move some serious air and can be directed where you need it most. Otherwise, we make sure we have at least a gallon of water per person per day (if it's a long event then more), ice, and decent snacks like fruits. We avoid things like chips and sweets. I also bring a change of clothes for load out--nice to get a change of clean dry clothes occasionally. Equipment rarely has a problem if it's not in direct sunlight.

This is where you run dry ice effects non-stop under the DJ table.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm
Sounds like we pretty much all handle these things the same way, fans and lots of water/ice. So I take it nobody has tried making one of these "bucket air conditioners"? Being the ever-tinkering-dude, I'm curious if pushing air through a bucket of ice would actually cool it down.

^ Looked at those this morning.
Home Depot sells the styrofoam bucket liners...
but they are not available at ANY of my local stores.

^ Looked at those this morning.
Home Depot sells the styrofoam bucket liners...
but they are not available at ANY of my local stores.
Home Depot will ship for free to your local store.

Instead of the torn apart $5 plastic fan, almost any PC case fan or audio cooling cage fan will work.

Instead of the torn apart $5 plastic fan, almost any PC case fan or audio cooling cage fan will work.

I'm guessing the fan is going to have to push some air volume. The video showed 3, 1.5"-2" openings in the side. Not really sure what the optimal airflow should be. I'm also wondering what the lining will do, except maybe help keep the ice from melting as fast.

Reactions: Ausumm
A 140mm case fan is over 5" and some push a lot of air. Benefit is they can be easily controlled (Zalman makes an inline controller) to adjust speed .. and they're only 12v, making them adaptable in a number of ways.

I think the lining is just to insulate the ice (or whatever) from melting quickly.

Reactions: Ausumm
A 140mm case fan is over 5" and some push a lot of air. Benefit is they can be easily controlled (Zalman makes an inline controller) to adjust speed .. and they're only 12v, making them adaptable in a number of ways.

I think the lining is just to insulate the ice (or whatever) from melting quickly.

I'm probably going to tinker with it some. I've been tempted just to take along a small window A/C and put it under the table but you're talking a 5-6 amp power draw.