Weddings Hiring an older DJ?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Sometimes people may thing that if the DJ is older, he may be more mature & add class to the event.
Not sure about this guy, It's embarrassing just watching him in action.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81078851/

I don't see what your issue is.
If he were a guest on your dance floor you'd claim you were rockin' the house...
If he were an emcee you'd be attending his seminars in Altantic City...

...so, not sure why his enthusiasm is such a problem for you?

Reactions: 1 person
This Girl (used lightly) does it better....

[video=youtube;aQIAjDA_mqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQIAjDA_mqU[/video]

I don't see what your issue is.
If he were a guest on your dance floor you'd claim you were rockin' the house...
If he were an emcee you'd be attending his seminars in Altantic City...

...so, not sure why his enthusiasm is such a problem for you?

Not sure about you, but I sure as heck would not attend any type of of seminar that features a DJ like this.
I attended a couple of seminars years ago at MB in Vegas that featured obnoxious/goofball DJs.
I got up & walked out. That's not my style. I don't care to be associated with that "Look at me" image.

I swear, Pro. You will argue about anything and everything. You must be a ton of fun at parties.
With all due respect Wes, I did not see an argument in Pro's statement. He did have a point. Some audiences go for that kind of stuff. Look at the disarray of the wires etc., some of us would not be caught dead with a setup like that but there are clients and guests who don't care about the look as much as they do about the performance.

Let me turn away from the "goofy old guy routine" discussion.

I do weddings. I'm also quickly becoming an old guy (48). I also fully realize that 20-something brides, generally speaking, do have an aversion to old dudes. After a couple of seasons of hiring different DJs I see a pattern forming. The guys/gals who present better are received better, period. I have one guys who is 55-ish and overweight. Of the bunch, he's probably the best DJ and he's forgotten more production chops than I'll ever have. Still, I've had to cut back on booking him because of the complaints, most of which I feel are generated simply because he's an old guy.

And yes, part of my business plan is to slowly begin replacing even myself with younger talent.

Reactions: 2 people

I do weddings. I'm also quickly becoming an old guy (48). I also fully realize that 20-something brides, generally speaking, do have an aversion to old dudes. After a couple of seasons of hiring different DJs I see a pattern forming. The guys/gals who present better are received better, period. I have one guys who is 55-ish and overweight. Of the bunch, he's probably the best DJ and he's forgotten more production chops than I'll ever have. Still, I've had to cut back on booking him because of the complaints, most of which I feel are generated simply because he's an old guy.

And yes, part of my business plan is to slowly begin replacing even myself with younger talent.
I think that you are referring to mostly Weddings. As I have stated many times before, there is much more to DJ life than Weddings. I will wager that the featured guy in the OP's post was not performing at a Wedding. If he is being hired, having fun and making money I say all the more power to him.

I am in my sixties and am still doing fine but I do know that age can indeed be a perception this is why I strive to be different and not be compared with the average flock of DJs. I am viewed individually because of what I bring to the game in experience, salesmanship and Gear.

Reactions: 3 people

On the other hand, while waiting for the doors to open at our last prom, one of the principals came into the room, walked up behind the setup towards me...as he's approaching me he says "Oh good, an adult". He proceeds to ask if I'm running all this myself tonight & I say no my husband had to run get some things from the truck...he says "oh good, responsible adults". I'm 42..coming up on 43 in August. Hubby is 47. Schools are our primary clients.

Reactions: 5 people
I personally hate this discussion as next month I'll be 55. Some think because of your age you won't know what you're doing. Hell one of the guys that works with us is 22 and he knows a lot about all different types of music and not just 1 style of music. He surprises me sometimes because a lot of the songs he knows about were made long before he was born.

I'll be 53 this summer .. You are as old as you feel.

Reactions: 6 people
I'll be 53 this summer .. You are as old as you feel.

I feel about 90 right now!

I got a couple years on you Steve, but not much. I just sometimes lose my enthusiasm playing todays "top hits". I grew up with The Beatles, Stones, Archies, Temptations, Jackson5, stuff like that.

There's only so much Bieb, Rihanna and other stupid sh_t you can listen to, before your mind implodes...

I guess my advice would be -- stop having a mid life crisis, and just realize who you really are...

Reactions: 5 people
I'm also in the 50+ club.

I'm on another level guys/gals... 60's. I'm living proof that an old dog can learn new tricks! LOL

Interesting Art -- but quite frankly, if I was say 16 years old, I would not hire anybody over 30, unless it was The Rolling Stones.

I only play for crowds in my age group, when I do.

If you keep trying to be 20 years old, you'll get even older faster...

Interesting Art -- but quite frankly, if I was say 16 years old, I would not hire anybody over 30, unless it was The Rolling Stones.

I only play for crowds in my age group, when I do.

If you keep trying to be 20 years old, you'll get even older faster...
I feel you about some of today's music. A lot of so called artist today don't have real talent to me. You mentioned some artist who had to have real talent to make it. Now either you have a gimmick or the look and that can get you over.

Now with that said I'm proud you admitted that you only do gigs for a certain age group. That's great for you. Now trust me playing a certain style of music will not age you. It's all about being honest with yourself and the clients you deal with as to if you're the right DJ for the job. Some will take a job so they can say they did another gig and made some money. Yet they aren't qualified to do the job. That's called a gig whore.

I feel you about some of today's music. A lot of so called artist today don't have real talent to me. You mentioned some artist who had to have real talent to make it. Now either you have a gimmick or the look and that can get you over.

Now with that said I'm proud you admitted that you only do gigs for a certain age group. That's great for you. Now trust me playing a certain style of music will not age you. It's all about being honest with yourself and the clients you deal with as to if you're the right DJ for the job. Some will take a job so they can say they did another gig and made some money. Yet they aren't qualified to do the job. That's called a gig whore.

No disagreement Mix.

I'm gonna be about 55 in two months (depending on which birth certificate you look at). There's no way in Hell, that I would do a sweet 16 at my age -- that would make me a pedo.

That's why I stick to my age group -- we all know the same songs, most of us were at Woodstock -- I was about 11-12 at the time.

Reactions: 2 people
To me, it's all about the event. Do we know what type of event was he doing? Who the crowd was and what they were doing?

If they were a group of young kids who never heard of those songs, and were all looking at him thinking "WTF?", then it's obnoxious and silly.

If it's a group of people that are mostly on the dance floor and really into the music, then this guy is very enthusiastic. As long as whomever hired him knew what they were getting when they hired him and that's what they wanted, I'm good with it.

If they were thinking they were getting a classy DJ with a professional looking set up for a high end wedding, then they are going to be sadly disappointed.

His age would probably only be an issue if they didn't get what they were expecting or what the event needed. They'd say..."That old guy sucked" In reality, his age is mostly irrelevant here. It's just as easy for a young kid to misread his crowd and the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
69 years young here and still going strong. There are plenty of events out there for us older folks. Some of the new songs are not too bad, refuse to play rap and let them know that up front. Still having fun doing weddings, birthday parties, reunions, car shows etc.

Reactions: 4 people