Help with sub LPF and crossover settings

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

shuncker

New DJ
Apr 18, 2012
Sub has low pass filter 40-200 range. EQ with built in crossover has range from 30-200. Speakers are 3 way with 15 inch woofers. I have set the LPF around 100. Sounds great but it sounds like the 3 ways are still getting a lot of bass to them even if I turn crossover to 200 setting. Is there a reason they are still getting a lot of bass? Is there an ideal setting for the crossover? 75-80? New at this and want to make sure I optimize the settings. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posting the models of the speakers and crossover might help, but a 15" 3-way is probably going to cross over around 90Hz (+- 10 Hz).

3 way seismic audio 15 inch....siesmic audio aftershock 18 inch sub...ultra graph pro FBQ1502 equilizer with crossover

Looking over the Behringer specs, it is tough to understand how the sub output works. In a typical crossover, when you set a crossover point, you are in effect setting 2 different filters, one for the lower out and one for the higher one. In the case of a crossover for a sub, you try to limit the high end of the sub to around 100Hz (90 in your case) and at the same time also limit the low end of the tops to the same crossover point. In the Behringer, it may be that just the sub output is constrained to 90Hz, but the tops are not. That's what's tough to discern from the manual. The unit is not really a crossover, so it may be letting the full range signal through to the tops (my mixer has a similar function and I do not use it for that reason). You would be better with a true crossover. If you like the Behringers, I would recommend the SUPER-X PRO CX2310 as a basic unit.