Help running a Photobooth using an iMac

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Wes

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 23, 2008
Memphis / Mid-South Area
www.mobiledjwes.com
I want to build my own enclosed photobooth (not open-air style). I plan to build it myself. We already own a top of the line 27" iMac as well as Canon T3i DSLR. I was wondering what photobooth software you pros would recommend. The screen is not a touch-screen, so I will have to use a push button of some sort. Any suggestions for that? And the last thing is how best to light/flash the booth for clear photos. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Not just the ones I asked about. Help a guy out, please!

I can't help you with the mac software but I can give you a ton of gotchas to avoid. First off, if you're intent on doing an automated booth, use a BIG screen and have it hard-mounted. Drunks have a very hard time operating a booth, that's why we went to a technician-based booth. Next, if you are bent on a closed booth, do not try to do it with pipe and drape only. It must be a very solid structure. Drunks will grab the curtains and bang into it. It needs to be heavy and secure and it will present hauling challenges. This is why we went to an open air format. Also, keep in mind that if you do the closed booth you will be up against the fact that you can only do 1-4 people in a shot. We regularly have groups of 10, 12 or 15 and it's part of the reason they like what we're doing. Double-check your DSLR on the external power supply. My Canon powershots will run off external power but they still require a battery for startup. Make sure you pound on the thing to work the bugs out ahead of time. On the printer, I can' recommend the DNP highly enough. It has a friggin huge paper drum and lasts for 4-6 events before we have to change paper/ribbon. One more thing, make sure you spend time studying the paper change routine. Doing it the first time at a party, in the darkness and with impatient drunks waiting on you is the wrong time to learn. Make sure you have some kind of ambient light for your photobooth area. Often times, the venues will stick your booth off in a dark corner and it can be difficult to navigate without another light. And as for booth lighting, use a flash. Some guys will try the always-on thing but it just didn't work well in my book. I use the camera's on board flash with a diffusor in front of it and the shots come out looking fantastic. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure if you'd call this clean or not. This was Friday. We had an extremely small space to setup in and that's the beauty of this open-air format. I can spread it or I can squeeze it into a corner when needed. A full, closed booth, forget it. You couldn't have worked this venue with a closed booth.

IMG_8798.jpg

Standard photographer's backdrop. Camera is mounted on a tripod, which is on a rolling dolly. Printer is sitting on the dolly. Netbook is sitting on a small percussion tray. The entire rig is portable so you can squeeze in for a tight shot or pull back for a wide shot, without having to readjust the software (which is a pain). There's only a single power cord coming to the rig and all wires are hidden underneath the shroud. BTW, I normally have a wrinkle-free shroud but had to scarf it for something else. Had to use a cotton table cloth. This whole rig cost well under $2k and I'll stack the finished product against anybody. Clients are absolutely going nuts over the Picturebook format I'm using these days. My nightly costs are $100 for a technician, $50 for supplies and $30 for the Picturebook. Here is the Picturebook:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104949851951762302969/002Photobooth?noredirect=1

Reactions: 4 people
There are chaps here in Houston who use a small table with a skirt and a table Tripod with the camera on top. The Printer is either on top of the table or under it on a shelf/crate. Backdrop is Pipe and Drape. Those in my opinion are easier to set up and transport.