Interactive DJs Halloween 2008

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Akuma

New DJ
Oct 6, 2008
Colorado
Breaking into the scene and looking to kick it off with a good Halloween event. I need some ideas for songs (have quite a few so far but more suggestions are always welcomed), Games, and what equipment to use that is cheap. This is a 21+ age group party and is going to run for about 6-8 hours. Any pitfalls to watch out for? Any suggestions are widely accepted. Very much appreciated.

Games...

Mummy wrap w/ toilet paper - groups of 3 people...One person stands still while the other two wrap that person...1st team to finish toilet paper roll wins...if you want a huge challenge...use Scott toilet paper.

Bowl of Goo - Combine up to 10 ingredients in a see through bowl. The people can look at it, smell it and taste it to guess the ingredients in the bowl. Have them write it down and give it to you. The person to to name the most correct ingredients in the bowl wins a prize.

Songs -
Cliff Richard - Devil Woman
Charlie Daniels - Devil Went Down To Georgia
Munster's Theme
Adam's Family Theme
Tubular Bells
Excorist Theme

Here's a music link...
http://www.ilovewavs.com/Holidays/Halloween/Music/HalloweenMusic.htm

Halloween Effects are not cheap.

When you do buy them you can use them for other events. They will pay for themselves.

A Hazer, a few UV Cannons, and 4+ LED par cans will do the trick.
I have gobo projectors and Halloween gobos.

The music is all very easy to find just start searching amazon or any cd website for halloween music.

my suggestion,,,, less hours,,, long time to play for adults... make it 4 or 5 at da most

A ground fogger or cold fogger is very cool at a Halloween party, but not sure how much more use you would get out of it. Although I have seen pictures of people using it during a reception first dance. But so many places will not let you use a fogger in the venue.

I made my own ground fog tube a few years ago......took a normal fogger, put it into a small pipe that adapts to a 3" piece of black pvc......I lined the 3" with ice, and then put an elbow on the end, to keep it from leaking out on the dance floor. Works well for 2-3 hours, and looks cool.....I dont have any pics of it in action.

Halloween is one of my favorites....dress up, put some mood sounds/music on. I took my egg strobes and hooked them in a line across behind me, with a cardboard shield that blocks the direct light from the crowd, and when you put some thunder on, its pretty cool. A bit of fog, some lightning, good pa system, and you are ready to rock!

OK so I took some of your guys advice into consideration and now that i got a butt load of good songs downloaded i need to know how to start the night off slow and then build up to a high dance point. How long till you need to take a break for not only yourself but for the dancers as well? What's an example of a good song to start with and lead into? Is it bad to jump around genre's?

OK so I took some of your guys advice into consideration and now that i got a butt load of good songs downloaded i need to know how to start the night off slow and then build up to a high dance point. How long till you need to take a break for not only yourself but for the dancers as well? What's an example of a good song to start with and lead into? Is it bad to jump around genre's?

Slow down there, hehe! You have an event planned for just over a week - your big kickoff into DJing solo. You purchased a "butt load" of songs. But now, you need some advice on playing the music?

#1 There are no breaks, like with a band, if that's what you mean.

#2 You've gotta think about the music you're going to be playing and let it speak for itself. Let the music do the work for you with the crowd. Work with the music and the crowd to keep the flow going. Only that DJ intuition will tell you when it's time to build it up or slow things down.

#3 As far as a first song is concerned, it helps to take a long look at your music library, but also, you need to look at your crowd. Each crowd responds differently to tunes.

#4 Get the women dancing and the men will follow. Get a groove going and see how they respond.

#5 Be prepared to take requests and be sensible as to which requests you fill.

#6 Have fun. :)

Yaay.....I am the first one to thank DJ Akuma.....

And good luck at the Halloween, if I lived in California I would come

Congrats Akuma. How much will they be paying you for all the hard work and extended hours? What lighting and sound will you be providing? Thanks in advance.

Jumping around is good I think, but then again, it all depends on the crowd, this is the part we call "reading the crowd" a DJ has that or not and it truly what makes us each different.

First song of the night? Have fun, if there is some people there, Monster Mash... if not to many and you just need a song. "I Put A Spell On You" I like the CCR version, it's long, in the other deck, but a sound effects CD on and add in some screams and howls and so on...

trafficgoo;212137 [B said:
Songs[/B] -
Cliff Richard - Devil Woman
Charlie Daniels - Devil Went Down To Georgia
Munster's Theme
Adam's Family Theme
Tubular Bells
Excorist Theme
[/url]

And whatever you do, don't forget The Cryptkicker 5's Monster Mash!

also "Elvira", and a cut of the suspense music from "Psycho", as well as the theme from "Twilight Zone".

You might also think about Michael Jackson's Thriller.....

For music reference, see my Halloween post in the Music forum. Some good suggestions there. :)

Originally Posted by Fred Stewart View Post
My friends,

Someone posted recently and asked for Halloween music suggestions. I couldn't find the thread so I'll post ours:

Monster Mash ~ Bobby "Boris" Pickett
Crypt Jam ~ Chuckii Booker (Tales From The Crypt)
Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor ~ Johann Sebastian Bach (attributed)
Thriller ~ Michael Jackson
Ghost Busters ~ Ray Parker, Jr.
(It's a) Monster's Holiday ~ Buck Owens (this is a hidden gem)
Haunted House ~ Jumpin' Gene Simmons
Welcome To My Nightmare ~ Alice Cooper
Superstition ~ Stevie Wonder
Nightshift ~ The Commodores
Runnin' With The Devil ~ Van Halen
Bad Moon Rising ~ Creedence Clearwater Revival
Witchy Woman ~ The Eagles
Black Magic Woman ~ Santana
Dead Man's Curve ~ Jan & Dean
Purple People Eater ~ Sheb Wooley
Love Potion #9 ~ The Clovers
Haunted Heart ~ Sammy Kershaw
Midnight In Montgomery ~ Alan Jackson
The Twilight Zone ~ Vic Mizzy
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Funeral March of a Marionette) ~ Charles Gounod
Spooky ~ Dennis Yost
Hankenstein ~ Cletus T. Judd
Jaws Theme ~ John Williams
Werewolves of London ~ Warren Zevon

Hope this helps. Please feel free to add to the list.
(Seeing particular costumes on floor)
Nightmare on Elm Street Wil Smith
Authority Song John Cougar Mellancamp
Jailhouse Rock Elvis Presley
Bad Boys Inner Circle
Lunatic Fringe (Not ringing any bells)

I know most of the artists, I am just lazy....
Candy Shop
Lollipop
Sweet Escape??
Sweet Dreams
Dragula
Time Warp
Ballroom Blitz??
Stayin' Alive
Man I feel like a woman
Guys do it all the time
Da turdy Pointer
2nd Week of deer camp
I'm still a guy
Witch Doctor
I'm gonna miss her
They are coming to take me away
crazy bitch

Hot Dayum!! Glad to see some many people willing to help. Thanks for everything guys. Jenny thanks for the thanks and it's Colorado btw. As far as getting paid, since it's for the Bar & Grill I cook for, they bought all the supplies (minus anything i'm keeping like new Vid and sound card). I told them since i'm doing this to get my name out there that I would do it for free as long as they let me use the equipment whenever i needed to. If all goes well then I hope to keep doing this for them. But they purchased a Moonflower/Fogger Combo, and 4 24" blacklights. They bought a new wireless mic as well. They have some pretty bumpin speakers in there already so i'm going to be pluggin directly into their sound system. Going up tomorrow to install everything and make sure it sounds good. But anyways thanks for all the help and suggestions we did cut it down to 4-5 hours btw.

Hot Dayum!! Glad to see some many people willing to help. Thanks for everything guys. Jenny thanks for the thanks and it's Colorado btw. As far as getting paid, since it's for the Bar & Grill I cook for, they bought all the supplies (minus anything i'm keeping like new Vid and sound card). I told them since i'm doing this to get my name out there that I would do it for free as long as they let me use the equipment whenever i needed to. If all goes well then I hope to keep doing this for them. But they purchased a Moonflower/Fogger Combo, and 4 24" blacklights. They bought a new wireless mic as well. They have some pretty bumpin speakers in there already so i'm going to be pluggin directly into their sound system. Going up tomorrow to install everything and make sure it sounds good. But anyways thanks for all the help and suggestions we did cut it down to 4-5 hours btw.

HAVE FUN!! :sqbiggrin:

Ok so check it. Despite a few minor technical difficulties and very few people showing up we had a great time. I appreciate all the help from everyone. Even got offered to do it next season on a few friday and saturday nights when the place is guaranteed to be packed. Anyways thanks again to everyone.

no Steve.. they are really craking down on it,, in fact they didn't even close the street off this year, but still tons came, but as I read and herad from some, not like it was...

My wife and I went two years ago,,,