For Those Who Use Trailers

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ausumm

Gold Plated Productions
Oct 21, 2008
Bethlehem PA
I finally pulled the trigger and bought my friends enclosed trailer.
Now, I need to bring it up to code AND find a better way to secure it.
I have looked at hitch locks, tire boots, and padlocks...
but I'm think the best way to be sure is to buy an alarm.
I saw a very good video where a guy used a store-bought car alarm system for under $100...
but does require a car/marine battery to operate.
I have also been looking at motion alarms, which work on AA or 9-volt batteries....for a lot less.
The first system is obviously better, and naturally more expensive...
the second is more affordable, does not require a car battery, and needs no real "installation".

So I wonder if anyone else has a security system in their trailer...
if so, what kind, and how do you like it.

Reactions: ittigger
I don't have a security system in mine. I use A hitchlock on the front and padlocks on the side and rear doors. Just a comment about the battery though, if you go this route it may be more convenient to just upgrade the trailer brakes battery on the tongue of the trailer if that model has brakes that is. We upgraded ours and it powers LED strip lighting that we installed in the ceiling of the trailer, that way we have lights even when we aren't hitched to the truck.

Reactions: DJ_MJ and Ausumm
just a word on padlocks, make sure they are ones that are not easily cut off with a hack saw or bolt cutters...get one where it's difficult (darn near impossible) to get a blade on the locking shaft. We had padlocks cut off our semi trailer once...got a more difficult design after that. Fortunately, it was during and event so nothing lost or messed with. (kinda stupid thieves to think there was anything left in the trailer if they had seen the setup inside). We also have a set of super secure locks that basically enclose the entire latch. As for alarms, one that reports to your smart phone would be the best bet. After all, what good does the alarm do if you don't hear it?! Consider not only at home, but enroute to events (gas station stop for instance) or parked at the event. If you were inside a convention center, you'd never hear an alarm going off outside.

Ever considered a GPS tracker of some sort? If my friend can put one on his dog, why not a trailer?

Reactions: Ausumm
Locks:
I also have mine tied in with my home security. I put a door sensor on the rear door. When the system is armed and my trailer is within range it is like an exterior shed. if my wife arms when I am on a gig, it lets her know that sensor is bypassed. When I get home and re-arm the alarm the sensor is activated. Plus I lock the gated carport I park it in.

Best of Luck. One of the best decisions I ever made.

It's a small trailer, with no brakes...so I would have to go with a car battery, if I don't choose the smaller system.
As for GPS, that's more than what I need. I can prevent someone from driving off with it, by using a hitch lock and/or tire boot.
I am mostly worried about someone opening it up and taking the stuff out!
I know it's not full proof....but then again, what is?

Reactions: Loneavenger
Hope that's true, ProDJay...
because that's when the trailer will be empty! :)

My trailer is never empty. Back up system stays till I need it.

I have never had a problem keeping it secure at my house. Keep the doors locked and parked in a locked building with alarm.

Yeah, I don't have the priveledge of a locked building, so it's gotta sit outside.
As for the pucks, I was actually looking at these.

cargo%20door%20lever%20lock.jpg

1476496_10202508689215872_1777820845_n_zpsc3a2bca4.jpg
;)

He loves femurs :D :D

Alrighty then!
I now have everything I need to take possession of the trailer.
Except for the hitch ball.
But I see that there are DIFFERENT SIZES?
Anyone know if there is a STANDARD size, or do I have to measure the coupler?

Best I remember, there are several different sizes. I believe 1 7/8" is the most common for light-duty units. If you don't know for sure what size it is just go by wal-mart and buy several, go pickup the trailer, then return the un-used balls back to wal-mart.

Thanks, Curt....I'll take a look.

Rick...that idea is SO YOU...

Alrighty then!
I now have everything I need to take possession of the trailer.
Except for the hitch ball.
But I see that there are DIFFERENT SIZES?
Anyone know if there is a STANDARD size, or do I have to measure the coupler?
Most trailer manufacturers have data online for gear they sell and it is likely attainable by the reviewing the model's information.

What make & model did you acquire?.
Additionally, I'll second the recommendation of the Gorilla hitch lock.