Weddings FIRST wedding of the year this Saturday. Are these songs still hot?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

mikemerlin

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 4, 2010
WIllimantic CT
First gig of the year is Saturday at a castle no less, lol. For those of you who have had a few gigs already this year are these songs still working?

-Gangnum Style
-Call me maybe (I know even last year could be hit or miss)

Anyone play the Harlem Shake at a reception? I'm itching to play it when everyone's drunk LOL

Reactions: 1 person
I'm getting alot of DNP for Carly, Black Eyed Peas and Taylor Swift. They seem to be ok with Gangnam, but not the whole song. YMMV.

Gangnam Style is still a must play at weddings here. Call Me Maybe not so much unless the bride specifically asks for it. I actually haven't used it at all this year. As far as Harlem Shake i have used it at School dances this year but not a wedding reception, with that being said i REALLY wanted to play it this past Saturday it just never quite fit in. If you have guests that love current music then i would say Harlem Shake is definitely a good track to play.

What styles of music did the client say was what they wanted and what did they say they didn't? We can suggest music to be played but we don't know your client and the guest that are to attend this wedding.

What styles of music did the client say was what they wanted and what did they say they didn't? We can suggest music to be played but we don't know your client and the guest that are to attend this wedding.

Re-read the OP.....Mike isn't asking for any assistance with music suggestions. He's asking about specific songs. DA

Re-read the OP.....Mike isn't asking for any assistance with music suggestions. He's asking about specific songs. DA
I see you missed it all together. We can suggest certain songs but how do we know if they will work or not and if the client will be OK with the DJ playing such songs? It will depend on the people who are to attend the wedding and what the bride wants if such suggestions will work.

We can suggest songs for him to play. Depending on where the wedding is to take place and the crowd it can work and then it could not. I said for him to check back with the bride to see what she would like. It is her wedding. Now did the bride say he was in complete control and he could do whatever he wanted to do? I like to find out what the client wants and then go from there.

Mix you have NO IDEA!!

I see you missed it all together. We can suggest certain songs but how do we know if they will work or not and if the client will be OK with the DJ playing such songs? It will depend on the people who are to attend the wedding and what the bride wants if such suggestions will work.

We can suggest songs for him to play. Depending on where the wedding is to take place and the crowd it can work and then it could not. I said for him to check back with the bride to see what she would like. It is her wedding. Now did the bride say he was in complete control and he could do whatever he wanted to do? I like to find out what the client wants and then go from there.

You're not even worth the time. Carry on, DA.

Mix you have NO IDEA!!
Oh yes I do!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about what the DJ and the client discussed about the music at the wedding. Those are great suggestions from everyone so far. I get that this DJ is asking what is popular. Just because It's a popular song doesn't mean a bride will want that played at their wedding.

I've seen leads where a bride will let it be known they don't want any slide songs played by the DJ. That means no Cha Cha Slide, Electric Boogie, Macarana, Wobble or any such stuff. Also like I said just because a song is popping in one part of the country doesn't mean it will be hot in another.

Oh yes I do!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about what the DJ and the client discussed about the music at the wedding. Those are great suggestions from everyone so far. I get that this DJ is asking what is popular. Just because It's a popular song doesn't mean a bride will want that played at their wedding.

I've seen leads where a bride will let it be known they don't want any slide songs played by the DJ. That means no Cha Cha Slide, Electric Boogie, Macarana, Wobble or any such stuff. Also like I said just because a song is popping in one part of the country doesn't mean it will be hot in another.

Dude...quit being so ignorant. He didn't ask for any song suggestions. He asked specifically about two songs; whether they were still being played or not. Read the post and comprehend.

I played both last night and they worked pretty well since there were little kids there and they got all excited.

Both have been hit or miss for me since they came out last year.

Have yet to play Harlem Shake at any event. :) It was actually on the DNP list last night so it was easy to keep my string going. No group dances allowed at all.

Thrift Shop has been my big request so far at the four events I've done so far in the last six weeks. Thank God for radio edits.

Reactions: 5 people
first gig of the year is saturday at a castle no less, lol. For those of you who have had a few gigs already this year are these songs still working?

-gangnum style
-call me maybe (i know even last year could be hit or miss)

played both last night, by request. Both worked extremely well, for that crowd.

anyone play the harlem shake at a reception?

thank goodness, no.

i'm itching to play it when everyone's drunk lol

i'd have to be drunk to play it... ;)

Thrift Shop was a big crowd pleaser (late in the evening.)

ymmv. :D

See told ya, MIX will never Learn!!!

See told ya, MIX will never Learn!!!
Sorry I read the post wrong. I get it now. Certain songs work great for certain crowds. I'm not the biggest fan of this new music because it turns over so fast. A song can be hot one week and next week be in the toilet. Very few of the newer music gets to become a classic. Songs that either months or years later are still hot.

I'm glad all went well and glad those songs went over well.

Last edited:
See what I mean, yet again MIX has not made a BUSINESS PLAN

and continues to try and train others - it will never happen

See what I mean, yet again MIX has not made a BUSINESS PLAN

and continues to try and train others - it will never happen
I'm not trying to train any one! I just gave an opinion. To me most of the music that is made today by a lot of so called artist is crap. A lot of them don't have real talent and are in it for the fast money they can make. It's my job to give the people what they want and to me what a lot of people want is crappy music.

I come from a time when a person had to have real talent in most cases to get a record deal. Now it seems all you need is a gimmick and to hell with talent.

Now to name a few that have real talent or had real talent were the Temptations, Earth Wind & Fire, Eagles, Beatles, Isley Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Fleetwood Mac and others. 2 Chain is hot right now but how long will he last?

I'm not trying to train any one! I just gave an opinion. To me most of the music that is made today by a lot of so called artist is crap. A lot of them don't have real talent and are in it for the fast money they can make. It's my job to give the people what they want and to me what a lot of people want is crappy music.

I come from a time when a person had to have real talent in most cases to get a record deal. Now it seems all you need is a gimmick and to hell with talent.

Now to name a few that have real talent or had real talent were the Temptations, Earth Wind & Fire, Eagles, Beatles, Isley Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Fleetwood Mac and others. 2 Chain is hot right now but how long will he last?
Mix, you need to catch up with the times. Have you considered playing at Retirement Homes?

Mix, you need to catch up with the times. Have you considered playing at Retirement Homes?
No I don't. I just made a statement about how I feel and it's just that simple. I know when I'm doing my job it's not about me. If it were there are just too many songs for me to name I would never play. It's about making the crowd happy and getting paid.

A lot of the crap that is made today bores me to death and for me most of it is stupid noise. I'll keep playing the stupid noise as long as a client has the right money to pay.

hahahahahaha

have a nice day