First Contract issue ever with a client.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Good Lawd help us! Now we have a Celebrity DJ who uses Winamp and the pretty brides are beating a path to his door so they can be featured on his Website. Talk about a misplaced ego!!!!!!

Quote from above: "In my experience, the girls want the comfort of knowing you've actually worked in their venue and they want to see photos of gorgeous setups...." What if you have never worked at the Venue in Question ?To what gorgeous setups are you referring, the other Vendors wares, Florists Vases, Baker's Cakes, Caterer's Food, Strangers dancing? Those are the only pics I ever see you posting.
........Ppppppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaassssssseeeeeeee!

Canute, what do you care what he does or doesn't do? Do you make or lose money based on his decisions? Are you running a successful business in Nashville, TN? Are you catering to weddings on a regular basis? If not, then why do you care? .. or is this your attempt at stirring the pot?

Reactions: Jeff Romard
My issue with the picture taking thing is that in our contract we ask is it OK if we take pictures and video for the sole purpose to have to show potential clients of our work and to add to our website. Not leaving them without a choice in the matter. It's their event and if they don't want us taking pictures then we just wouldn't. Simple as that.

Good Lawd help us! Now we have a Celebrity DJ who uses Winamp and the pretty brides are beating a path to his door so they can be featured on his Website. Talk about a misplaced ego!!!!!!

Quote from above: "In my experience, the girls want the comfort of knowing you've actually worked in their venue and they want to see photos of gorgeous setups...." What if you have never worked at the Venue in Question ?To what gorgeous setups are you referring, the other Vendors wares, Florists Vases, Baker's Cakes, Caterer's Food, Strangers dancing? Those are the only pics I ever see you posting.
........Ppppppllllleeeeeeeaaaaaassssssseeeeeeee!

Go back to sleep pippy, you're clueless in this ballpark. I've heard it from multiple brides, "Are we going to be on your website?" It has nothing to do with my "celebrity", it has everything to do that they love all the pictures and they apparently like the thought of being featured with all the other "pretty people". It's a simple fact that event photos sell gigs. It registers a level of comfort when a bride can look at gorgeous shots of events at the same venue they're planning to use and at this point I've gathered shots from pretty much every major event venue in this market. Go back to karaoke nights. I realize that your communication and people skills likely exclude you from the wedding world but really, your jealousy is quite showing in the above post.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Stock photos illustrate messages about realizing new individualized future opportunity and potential. Your approach only catalogs the limited choices of other people's history. I prefer the right mix of both, stock illustration and proven past experience.

Your opinion. In my opinion, the shots of actual events clearly demonstrates to a prospect what we have actually created in the past and can do again for their event. In higher dollar, corporate events I can see where you need to be able to create completely new concepts and illustrate them but in the wedding world these are 20-somethings who want something pretty where they can point and say "I want that!"

Reactions: Ron
Well, we can finally close this thread. Client responded back this morning and the agreement stands in it's original format. A new copy (with no changes) has been signed by the client and myself and deposits made. Thanks everyone for your input.

My issue with the picture taking thing is that in our contract we ask is it OK if we take pictures and video for the sole purpose to have to show potential clients of our work and to add to our website. Not leaving them without a choice in the matter. It's their event and if they don't want us taking pictures then we just wouldn't. Simple as that.

Mix, if you read all the comments about this topic, you may not use pictures you take for commercial purposes without releases from the individuals in the images. Your client cannot grant you permission to use a guests image.

The Orkin guy was correct, they come back without proper control.
Yeah, that's why sometimes at the office you have to separate the head from the body and stuff garlic down the neck :D :D :D

Last edited:

Mix, if you read all the comments about this topic, you may not use pictures you take for commercial purposes without releases from the individuals in the images. Your client cannot grant you permission to use a guests image.

Actually, Mix is saying that they ask permission from the couple before they take pictures. Also, yes you can take pics and use them within certain guidelines and depending on your state, explicit permission from everyone in a picture is NOT one of them. People attending a wedding in this day and age (with smartphones, facebook, instagram, pintrist, etc) can't claim they had no idea their picture might end up online or in print.

I understood what he was saying. My point was simply that them signing a contract may not waive all rights at a party .. and authorize him to use whatever he wants on his site. Using pics privately vs putting them on flickr vs hosting them on a commercial site are 3 different animals.

Also, yes you can take pics and use them within certain guidelines and depending on your state, explicit permission from everyone in a picture is NOT one of them.

No, you can't. Using a person's likeness in an advertisement without their express consent is an infringing use and you can be sued for doing so.

It is true that we live in a narcissistic society and there are many people who love to look at themselves online and in every photo-op. . . . that is, when it suits them. Your liability remains nonetheless and when someone takes issue with your commercial use of their image - you'll be screwed without a model release.

People attending a wedding in this day and age (with smartphones, facebook, instagram, pintrist, etc) can't claim they had no idea their picture might end up online or in print.

The issue is not that someone's photo turns up online. The issue is the next step you take - exploitation of their likeness commercially, online or in print. You are not permitted to attach a persons likeness or photo to your company name without their express consent. This is why stock photos exist - so that a business can be assured that every person in the photo has signed a model release.

Last edited:
Bob,
It looks like until someone gets sued because of an ill posted photo, nobody will listen. They will resist and argue.

Funny thing is that most of the pics I see posted here look like posed stock pics anyway.....strangers dancing. I have been saying that now for years. Even some of the Videos don't identify the person who is trying to prove themselves. Therefore, I really don't see why there is a resistance to stock photos.

Last edited: