Female DJs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
We have some females right here on this board that can do that and more. For clarification, nowhere in there did they mention (nor really show) their mixing skills. In addition, they were talking about DJ'ing and modeling. I'm ok with both female and male DJ's. If you can get the job done properly and successfully, more power to ya.

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yes, for years the biggest hurdle for a female 'mobile" dj was simply the size and weight of the gear, an obstacle that is easy to overcome with today's technology

Reactions: 3 people
I'm not sure why it is even a blip on someone's radar. Of course they can DJ as well as if not better than guys can. I think they read people better.

Reactions: 2 people
We have some females right here on this board that can do that and more. For clarification, nowhere in there did they mention (nor really show) their mixing skills. In addition, they were talking about DJ'ing and modeling. I'm ok with both female and male DJ's. If you can get the job done properly and successfully, more power to ya.

;)
I know we have Female DJs on the Board. I also know we have some who don't Mix.
For Clarification if you look at the video .019, .42 and 10.7 you WILL see some short snippets of Mixing.
Most DJs do not buy use Controllers and Turntables if thy are not serious about Mixing. The Laptop to Powered Speakers DJs have that market cornered.
Why do you get so testy and defensive when Mixing is mentioned? Not every Doctor is a Surgeon, however if you do work in an Operating Room on people you had better know what you are doing.
Yes, they did go off to mention another aspect of DJing and that is one who only does Fashion Shows. For example, just like there are only Wedding and Club DJs there are other DJs who specialize in or are able to do other Formats.

I know we have Female DJs on the Board. I also know we have some who don't Mix.

There will ALWAYS be variations of what people can and can't do. First off, let's define 'mixing'. Mixing is blending from one song to another. 99.9% of the DJ's know how to do this. Beatmatching, scratching, etc is NOT 'mixing'. These other things are NOT a requirement. Are they skills you should possess, sure. Is it required, no. There are PLENTY of successful DJ's that cannot beatmatch, scratch nor is it required at any of their venues.

For Clarification if you look at the video .019, .42 and 10.7 you WILL see some short snippets of Mixing.

No, what I see is some video footage of a slide going up and down or a table being moved for the benefit of the camera. I saw no mixing.

Most DJs do not buy use Controllers and Turntables if thy are not serious about Mixing.

'Most' means you're assuming. Do you know that this is her equipment? Do you have proof that 'most' serious mixing DJ's use turntables and controllers - or is this your assumption?

The Laptop to Powered Speakers DJs have that market cornered.

Another assumption. Might want to be careful about what you say about your counterparts / friends. Also, to think that one 'needs' turntables in this day and age of technology is completely ludicrous. In addition, being the electronics guru that you claim to be, you should know that there are various systems for various functions. One size does NOT fit all. You also don't know what system they were using on the back end of this. Looks to me like they were using SSL, which could run right into some powered speakers.

Why do you get so testy and defensive when Mixing is mentioned?

I don't get testy nor defensive when 'Mixing' is mentioned. I'm not testy nor am I defensive. I'm voicing my opinions about what I saw. Why do you pee y'er pants every time I press a letter on my keyboard? Why do you get like you are when you're questioned about the validity of your statements?

Not every Doctor is a Surgeon, however if you do work in an Operating Room on people you had better know what you are doing.

Not every Dr does know what they are doing in an OR, that's why there are staff members. Said Dr does know what THEY'RE specializing in.

Yes, they did go off to mention another aspect of DJing and that is one who only does Fashion Shows.

'One'? Looked to me like there was more than one.

For example, just like there are only Wedding and Club DJs there are other DJs who specialize in or are able to do other Formats.

Yeah - I got it. My point is that this is her Niche .. and that's about it. That's why she had a news special.

Last edited:
There will ALWAYS be variations of what people can and can't do. First off, let's define 'mixing'. Mixing is blending from one song to another. 99.9% of the DJ's know how to do this. Beatmatching, scratching, etc is NOT 'mixing'. These other things are NOT a requirement. Are they skills you should possess, sure. Is it required, no. There are PLENTY of successful DJ's that cannot beatmatch, scratch nor is it required at any of their venues.

Beatmatching IS a part of Mixing! If you can't Beatmatch, you can not truly Mix. You are just pushing play. Anyone can do that no special skills required. DJ Software will play songs for you and even Mix for you. Question is can the person do it manually without sounding like a Train wreck. Can you take two vinyl records or CDs and seamlessly make a transition from one to another without missing a beat? Blending is when you are playing two songs simultaneously, normally done in the last part os the current song and first part of the next song. I do that a lot. I can go from one song to the next and back to the first song again and again.
Scratching is an effect perfected by a skill. Don't go making excuses for your shortcomings. Maybe where you are people don't care. Go to a Big City and DJ an event by just pushing play and lets see how far that would get you. Lastly, a Venue does not have to require anything. Don't try to teach me definitions of what real Mixing is all about. You are out of your element on this one buddy!

Beatmatching IS a part of Mixing! If you can't Beatmatch, you can not truly Mix. You are just pushing play. Anyone can do that no special skills required.

This is your OPINION. Beatmatching is a skill beyond mixing. If you can mix, you can mix. Period. You either can .. or you can't.

Again, plenty of successful people perform daily (and make a living doing it) without the need to beatmatch, scratch, etc. Label them what you want - but this is your OPINION.

DJ Software will play songs for you and even Mix for you.

So? I have a robot (that utilizes software) that can vacuum my floors. Be nice to it and it'll even play with the animals. Your point?

Question is can the person do it manually without sounding like a Train wreck.

If they can, then they can mix. Duh!

Can you take two vinyl records or CDs and seamlessly make a transition from one to another without missing a beat?

Being that you are referring to beatmatching, this is not mixing. This is an additional skill beyond mixing. Do you need to know how to mix to beatmatch, absolutely. Do you need to know how to beatmatch to mix, absolutely NOT.

Blending is when you are playing two songs simultaneously, normally done in the last part os the current song and first part of the next song. I do that a lot. I can go from one song to the next and back to the first song again and again.

Beatmatching again, unless you are referring to sounds that do not contain matched beats - and so can alot of people. Some cannot. If you're truly referring to Blending, this is an additional skill also and again, so can alot of people - but some cannot.

Scratching is an effect perfected by a skill. Don't go making excuses for your shortcomings.

My shortcomings? You know nothing about what I can or cannot do. I'm thinking more and more that you're the student. This consistent persona you carry is definitely not anything a Teacher would be.

Maybe where you are people don't care.

Right - because again, you know all. People all over have various interests - regardless of where you are.

Go to a Big City and DJ an event by just pushing play and lets see how far that would get you.

I've been performing for 26 years Canute. I've seen it all. Clubs, mobile shows, beatmatching, scratching, effects, etc, etc. Have we ALL had shows that push play works - ABSOLUTELY. You've had some too. Have they ALL been like that - absolutely NOT.

Lastly, a Venue does not have to require anything.

If it's not required, then it is not something needed to be successful.

Don't try to teach me definitions of what real Mixing is all about. You are out of your element on this one buddy!

I'm thinking it is YOU, who is out of their element.

Likewise, don't try to teach me (or anyone else) what real mixing is about. As you see, just between us, we both have varying opinions about what 'Mixing' is. Add in everyone else and you'll see just how varied it can get .. and that's just on here.

Would I hire someone that is musically and equipment knowledgeable but cannot beatmatch for a club? Probably not. Would I hire that same person to do mobile work, I don't see why not. They BOTH .. better be able to mix.

If you're straying into other categories, don't. The topic became mixing. Anything beyond mixing is an additional skill.

Actually the topic was females performing .. to which I remain unchanged - see Post 2. Females of all skill levels have been doing this. This is not new.

Last edited:
This is your OPINION. Beatmatching is a skill beyond mixing. You are funny! If you can mix, you can mix. Period. You either can .. or you can't.

Again, plenty of successful people perform daily (and make a living doing it) without the need to beatmatch, scratch, etc. Label them what you want - but this is your OPINION. I never disputed that so don't make things up

So? I have a robot (that utilizes software) that can vacuum my floors. Be nice to it and it'll even play with the animals. Your point? New Technology in Equipment and Software has created a lot of Wannabes

Being that you are referring to beatmatching, this is not mixing. Hahahahahahaha...stop making me laugh, will ya! This is an additional skill beyond mixing. Do you need to know how to mix to beatmatch, absolutely. Do you need to know how to beatmatch to mix, absolutely NOT.Wrong! If you don't know how to recognize beats your Mix will be off! That is why they invented Pitch Controls! You do know how to use those, dont'cha?

Beatmatching again, unless you are referring to sounds that do not contain matched beats - and so can alot of people. Some cannot. If you're truly referring to Blending, this is an additional skill also and again, so can alot of people - but some cannot. Blending is a style of Mixing also often found in a Cross Fade.

My shortcomings? You know nothing about what I can or cannot do. You said somewhere before that you can't/don't Mix. I'm thinking more and more that you're the student. This consistent persona you carry is definitely not anything a Teacher would be. I was not trying to teach you anything, just setting the facts straight!

Right - because again, you know all. People all over have various interests - regardless of where you are.

I've been performing for 26 years Canute. I've seen it all. Clubs, mobile shows, beatmatching, scratching, effects, etc, etc. Have we ALL had shows that push play works - ABSOLUTELY. You've had some too. Have they ALL been like that - absolutely NOT.

If it's not required, then it is not something needed to be successful. Not required!!!! You must be kidding me. So you go deep sea diving with a snorkel! You should try Oxygen tanks and a mask sometimes.

Right, because after all, you are the supreme teacher. Maybe it is YOU, who is out of their element.

Also, don't try to teach me (or anyone else) what real mixing is about. As you see, just between us, we both have varying opinions about what 'Mixing' is. Would I hire someone that is musically and equipment knowledgeable but cannot beatmatch for a club? Probably not. Would I hire that same person to do mobile work, I don't see why not. Don't stray from the subject to collect agreements. Save that for Gig Reports!

If you're straying into other categories, don't. The topic became mixing. Anything beyond mixing is an additional skill.
Why don't you define Mixing!

This is your OPINION. Beatmatching is a skill beyond mixing. You are funny! If you can mix, you can mix. Period. You either can .. or you can't.

Again, plenty of successful people perform daily (and make a living doing it) without the need to beatmatch, scratch, etc. Label them what you want - but this is your OPINION. I never disputed that so don't make things up

So? I have a robot (that utilizes software) that can vacuum my floors. Be nice to it and it'll even play with the animals. Your point? New Technology in Equipment and Software has created a lot of Wannabes

Being that you are referring to beatmatching, this is not mixing. Hahahahahahaha...stop making me laugh, will ya! This is an additional skill beyond mixing. Do you need to know how to mix to beatmatch, absolutely. Do you need to know how to beatmatch to mix, absolutely NOT.Wrong! If you don't know how to recognize beats your Mix will be off! That is why they invented Pitch Controls! You do know how to use those, dont'cha?

Beatmatching again, unless you are referring to sounds that do not contain matched beats - and so can alot of people. Some cannot. If you're truly referring to Blending, this is an additional skill also and again, so can alot of people - but some cannot. Blending is a style of Mixing also often found in a Cross Fade.

My shortcomings? You know nothing about what I can or cannot do. You said somewhere before that you can't/don't Mix. I'm thinking more and more that you're the student. This consistent persona you carry is definitely not anything a Teacher would be. I was not trying to teach you anything, just setting the facts straight!

If it's not required, then it is not something needed to be successful. Not required!!!! You must be kidding me. So you go deep sea diving with a snorkel! You should try Oxygen tanks and a mask sometimes.

Right, because after all, you are the supreme teacher. Maybe it is YOU, who is out of their element.

Also, don't try to teach me (or anyone else) what real mixing is about. As you see, just between us, we both have varying opinions about what 'Mixing' is. Would I hire someone that is musically and equipment knowledgeable but cannot beatmatch for a club? Probably not. Would I hire that same person to do mobile work, I don't see why not. Don't stray from the subject to collect agreements. Save that for Gig Reports!

Why don't you define Mixing!

Canute, y'er an idiot if you think I've said that I can't mix. I can do lots of things, to include mixing - none of which you have any idea of. You're also not setting any 'facts' straight - regardless of what you might think you're doing.

As to your "If it's not required, then it is not something needed to be successful. Not required!!!! You must be kidding me. So you go deep sea diving with a snorkel! You should try Oxygen tanks and a mask sometimes." - statement, the reason you use tanks and a mask is because it's a requirement. If I'm applying for a job as a limo driver, it may be a requirement that I have a limo. If it is not required that I also have a pool, a fridge, etc, etc - then I will be successful with or without those other additional items. Could they help me do more things? Sure.

Similarly, in the REAL WORLD, people ARE performing daily that may or may not have various combinations of these additional skills and they are successfully making a living doing it - regardless of what your little world of knowledge tells you.

Last edited:
Canute, y'er an idiot if you think I've said that I can't mix. I can do lots of things, to include mixing - none of which you have any idea of. You're also not setting any 'facts' straight - regardless of what you might think you're doing.

As to your "If it's not required, then it is not something needed to be successful. Not required!!!! You must be kidding me. So you go deep sea diving with a snorkel! You should try Oxygen tanks and a mask sometimes." - statement, the reason you use a tanks and a mask is because it's a requirement.
Sorry my bad! I forgot you confuse Mixing with Push Play. :cheers:
The rest is yours, I am finished!

One day I may grant your wish.

lol all i could think is ...OMG look at the platter wobble going on ! when she was mixing at one point ive never seen such unstable deck's :p