double 10 vs 12 who wins the battle of the subwoofers

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
namm-audio-email.jpg So I spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Carvin today they have a new system similar to the RCF EVOX 8 that is available with an 18 a 12 or a double 10 sub box which would you choose and why, and please don't turn this into a don't buy Carvin post. It's been a while since I've used their stuff, I had forgotten how incredible their customer service is. The new stuff is top notch gear as the service is unbeatable

We need more specs and details to know.

As a rule of thumb, I do not like 18" subs based on size and weight for mobile applications. These subs to tend to get slightly louder and go slightly lower than a 15" sub, but not enough to justify the additional weight and size on the load in/out, for me, YMMV.

Given that, the single 12 or dual 10 are much more likely to be something I would choose. I would tend to examine pack space, weight, expected output, and cost to make a decision.

18s aren't as good a fit for these mini line arrays, as the crossover is generally high (160-200Hz) and therefore you're asking a big driver that's sitting on the floor to handle some important frequencies.

Other than that, I would "usually" expect a double 10 to outperform a single 12, but a lot depends on power, configuration, DSP, etc.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Agreed, S-in-M. I'm fighting those same issues (see Carvin post). I have two RCF 15" sub at 92 lbs. each that I just hate moving around...despise the weight, actually. I'm in my final years now, so it doesn't get any easier. However, I do have a rock-n-roller (large one) that helps with the transfer from trailer (ramp) for load-in/out. I use to take my RCF system (when I was younger) to most gigs and could lift the subs into the back of my Toyota Highlander along with the two tops. Love the clarity and sound of the RCF but hate the weight.