Don't Try This At Home...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Yeah, they've been doing that for awhile, but I've never had the stones to try it myself!

GJ

I would only try it on the one of the crappy no-name LP's I bought at a yard sale.

I have done it and it works like a charm.

Reactions: ittigger
Agreed - but they're also not as good as records were and when they get messed up, they're generally ruined.

While I like the visceral experience of playing a record, I will not ever go back. It's like each click and pop is a bullet being shot at me and the dynamic range isn't quite there. The overall "sound" is more pleasurable from an analog device, due to the way it handles distortion, but the overall "sound experience" is far better in my book with CD .. and if you go with SACD or DVD-Audio, it's no contest.

Reactions: ittigger
Agreed. Signal capability is supposedly something like 7 times greater on a record than on a CD though.

Yes, it's a bit confusing, and of course, so much of it is subjective taste, BUT-- It's not the potential dynamic range of CD's that people complain about (obviously amazing). It's the actual dynamic range (that which is actually used) that has been objectively shown to gave gotten worse and worse over the years (to the point where the average CD has almost negligible/non-existent DR due to overuse of buss compression in mixing and compression and hard limiting in mastering-- the "loudness wars"). DR on vinyl LP's is often far superior to that on CD's, not because of the CD medium, but because of how that medium is used/misused. That is just one of the reasons that people who like vinyl think that it is "better" (again, subjective, but they have a point there)...

And yes, surface noise is the bane of every vinyl enthusiast. There's no perfect medium (certainly not most consumer format digital files!)...

GJ

Last edited: