DJVO | DJ Verification Organization

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
The DJVO is standing up for what is right for the DJs that do everything the right way for them to get the disc jockey jobs instead of the illegal DJs getting the disc jockey jobs.

The DJVO is a verification database tracking system to show proof the DJ has obtained their music audio and music video legally for the business disc jockeying.

In January 2012 DJ Verification Organization (DJVO) was formed for the purpose of providing verification and certification that a Disc Jockey¹ is obtaining all formats² of their music audio and music video from legal sources³

¹ Disc Jockey: Name variations – Disc Jockey (DJ), Music Video Jockey (VJ), Karaoke Jockey (KJ)
² Formats: Music audio and music video: (MP3, MP4, CD, DVD & Vinyl)
³ Legal sources: DJ music subscription services, record pools, music pools, video pools, karaoke pools, DJ pools, retail stores, online music stores, promotional music delivery services & record label direct servicing.

Why the DJVO was formed and what we offer…
* To show proof the DJ has obtained their music audio and music video legally for the business disc jockeying
* To help eliminate (Piracy / Copyright Infringement) of music audio and music video file sharing
* To help eliminate (Piracy / Copyright Infringement) of music audio and music video illegal downloading
* This will help eliminate the illegal non serviced DJ websites, DJ blogs and DJ file sharing systems that service DJs with copyright infringement music audio and/or music video. The DJ will not be verified if they obtain their music audio and/or music video from these types of sources
* Artists will get the best exposure possible of their music by the DJ playing the correct versions and the right quality. Not copies and low quality bootlegs that were obtained illegally
* This will keep it fair for the DJ that does do everything the right way for them to get a disc jockey job instead of the illegal DJ getting a disc jockey job
* Receipt storage database of music purchased by the DJ (View Copies Of Receipts – Proof Of Purchase)
* Verification search engine to lookup if a DJ is verified or not verified (Available To Business, Personal And Government Agencies)

(1) All well and good, but unless there is a process to actually verify every file a DJ has, you will be taking their word on the majority of it.

(2) You are a business and as such should not be advertising for your paid services (yes, the 1st year is free, but the rest aren't) without being a sponsor. Again, it is not fair to our actual paid sponsors.

Here is someone offering up an idea that can be really helpful if properly implemented. What do some do? Go on the attack!

Just as how some Upscale Venues who are beginning to ask for Proof of Insurance are causing some of the so called "DJs" to stay away from those venues (because they are too cheap to buy Insurance), just so can something like this cut down on those who are not playing by the rules. I don't see a problem with the idea if properly implemented and executed.

Now the sponsorship issue is something that is between Dan and the OP. We need to tell the OP that he/she should first discuss the rules of posting with Dan.

Canute I could start selling seals to the industry but Im not a legitimate body which has rights to claim authority. This is the problem that people are making comment about. In a venue if they choose to block any DJ from playing without insurance etc they can and will do it and the DJ has no option. With a non regulated and or legit entity passing out gold stars for people who pay them money it holds no weight and clients are only going to look at it as a novelty like the old website banner awards handed out by Tucows etc in the 90s if they even give a rats azz about it or even notice it.

Houston, the biggest problem with this concept (which has already been mentioned before) is that unless EVERY single song file in your library was obtain by "legal" means. you can not be a member of this group. Let's keep in mind, "legal" is such a grey area it is impossible to determine. Technically, by the letter of the law, buying music from Amazon, iTunes or a CD a WalMart and using it at an event is illegal. So any DJ who has done this would be a hypocrite to put such a seal like this guy is offering on their site.

Anyone who has ever asked for a quick song from another DJ because they did not have in their collection, anyone who has ever played a song which was provided to them via their client....I could go on and on and on.

This all comes down to worry about your own company and stop trying to dig around how everyone else operates.

I agree with Jon .. If it was BMI/ASCAP offering it for free and had a surefire way to measure it, maybe there is a need. But it seems as if it is merely iDJPool coming up with a new way to make money. I have no issues with that, other than they shouldn't be advertising here for free, but as mentioned, the verification doesn't really hold any validity, other than saying the DJ buys SOME of their material from a legitimate source. There is no way to back track the 1000's -10,000's of songs we each have.

Canute I could start selling seals to the industry but Im not a legitimate body which has rights to claim authority. This is the problem that people are making comment about. In a venue if they choose to block any DJ from playing without insurance etc they can and will do it and the DJ has no option. With a non regulated and or legit entity passing out gold stars for people who pay them money it holds no weight and clients are only going to look at it as a novelty like the old website banner awards handed out by Tucows etc in the 90s if they even give a rats azz about it or even notice it.
It is still a step in the right direction. If you may recall, just a few posts up, I clearly stated that if properly implemented and executed. I did not endorse the OP. How do you think the BBB started (Which we all know is there just to protect its paying members)?

Houston, the biggest problem with this concept (which has already been mentioned before) is that unless EVERY single song file in your library was obtain by "legal" means. you can not be a member of this group. Let's keep in mind, "legal" is such a grey area it is impossible to determine. Technically, by the letter of the law, buying music from Amazon, iTunes or a CD a WalMart and using it at an event is illegal. So any DJ who has done this would be a hypocrite to put such a seal like this guy is offering on their site.

Anyone who has ever asked for a quick song from another DJ because they did not have in their collection, anyone who has ever played a song which was provided to them via their client....I could go on and on and on.

This all comes down to worry about your own company and stop trying to dig around how everyone else operates.
To some degree, one does have to worry about what other companies in their Industry is doing. I have given examples before where a certain group of professionals in a particular industry, such as Interior Designers and Wedding Planners got fed up with the wannabees, inexperienced, amateurs and shysters screwing up things and decided to take action to eliminate that kind of folk. That action they took resulted in Licensing. This made them more of a professional, protected the Industry as a whole, made it more respected etc. There still remains levels of Professionalism within the Industry but at least everyone is abiding by the same rules. In the DJ business, sadly this is not the case. Its like a dog eat dog world. They are setting bad precedents such as illegally downloading a song from You Tube to please a client. The Client in turn gets spoiled and start demanding it. It is like a fare telling the Cab driver to speed up and go over the speed limit because they are in a hurry or late for a meeting. It is the Cab Driver's azz that will be on the line if he gets pulled over but some don't think about the consequences.

The DJVO is standing up for what is right for the DJs that do everything the right way for them to get the disc jockey jobs instead of the illegal DJs getting the disc jockey jobs.

@djvo

You are obviously not from the US -- your English is not up to par.

You are asking people to pay you (albeit a year out), to verify something you cannot verify. I can make up a fake receipt in 30 seconds.

@Patrick -- Don't waste yer time -- it's a scam.

I took a look at the DJVO information a few weeks ago, but I didn't sign up. For one thing, I just don't like DJ organizations - most of them are self-serving groups who provide menial support to their members and don't really do anything to advance the "industry" (another term that I can't wrap my head around... don't get me started). Organize whatever you want, but the truth is that your group - and any DJ group, really - means squat to the general public. Even if you get every DJ on Facebook, in the ADJA, and on this forum signed up with DJVO, you've still less than 10% of the DJ population onboard. And even then, you've still got a margin of error - there's no way to to tell who's lying about where they get their music from.

My analysis:

Why the DJVO was formed and what we offer…
* To show proof the DJ has obtained their music audio and music video legally for the business disc jockeying

Show proof to who? People who enjoy dancing? They don't care where music comes from, as long as they can dance to it.

* To help eliminate (Piracy / Copyright Infringement) of music audio and music video file sharing
* To help eliminate (Piracy / Copyright Infringement) of music audio and music video illegal downloading

The "help" provided by the DJVO won't amount to a hill of beans. Consider that the U.S. actually has the lowest piracy rate in the world - somewhere around 19% - and the highest number of music buyers. Most illegal music and video (and software) downloading happens in underdeveloped countries. If you want to help eliminate piracy, take your agenda to places like Armenia, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, where the piracy rate is more than 90%.

Another fact: Most music pirates aren't even DJs, they're regular people who like to discover new music.

* This will help eliminate the illegal non serviced DJ websites, DJ blogs and DJ file sharing systems that service DJs with copyright infringement music audio and/or music video. The DJ will not be verified if they obtain their music audio and/or music video from these types of sources

I have a hunch that the DJVO won't eliminate a single one. For every blog that gets shut down, three more pop up. Case in point: Black Thursday 2011, when hundreds of websites were shut down by the government, including Megaupload, Your-Remix.com, and StrictlyHits. Hundreds of sites were shut down, but the impact created by the shutdown has been minimal.

* Artists will get the best exposure possible of their music by the DJ playing the correct versions and the right quality. Not copies and low quality bootlegs that were obtained illegally

Artists don't care what mobile DJs do. If the "exposure" that mobile DJs actually mattered, they'd have somebody a lot better than Lou Gramm headlining at Mobile Beat 2013. Seriously, when's the last time a hit became a hit because 5,000 wedding DJs played it last Saturday night?

* This will keep it fair for the DJ that does do everything the right way for them to get a disc jockey job instead of the illegal DJ getting a disc jockey job

There's no such thing as an illegal DJ. Even the music, however it's obtained, isn't illegal. And people will continue hiring DJs, licensed or unlicensed, tall or short, thin or fat, sitting or standing, based on a combination of two factors: Their price and their ability to produce a show that makes people dance. That's it.

* Receipt storage database of music purchased by the DJ (View Copies Of Receipts – Proof Of Purchase)

I have a file cabinet for that, and a Gmail folder. Do I need another place for receipts?

* Verification search engine to lookup if a DJ is verified or not verified (Available To Business, Personal And Government Agencies)

No one will ever use this, and there isn't enough money in the world to make people check it before making their hiring decisions. If verification of anything actually mattered to the public and they could be easily swayed into checking it first, the ADJA would have done it already.

Just my thoughts.

Brings to mind the American Society of Mobile Disc Jockeys and the United States Disc Jockey Association from the back in the 80's.

Back in the Seventies I joined my first DJ Association in Boston. The New England DJ Association. We were primarily a Record Pool and our mission was to break records/tunes in the Clubs and at Gigs. To join the Association you had to go through a lengthy approval process. You had to be actively working, primarily in Clubs or show proof of recent Gigs and bookings to come. We hosted seminars etc.

The point is we became highly respected in New England and the North East. Just being a member literally assured you that you would get the Gig. Here is a pic of my Turntables from the seventies which I still have and use. I bought those Turntables the first week they came out in the late seventies.

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/attachments/35-jpg.21782/

35-jpg.21782

Back in the Seventies I joined my first DJ Association in Boston. The New England DJ Association. We were primarily a Record Pool and our mission was to break records/tunes in the Clubs and at Gigs. To join the Association you had to go through a lengthy approval process. You had to be actively working, primarily in Clubs or show proof of recent Gigs and bookings to come. We hosted seminars etc.

The point is we became highly respected in New England and the North East. Just being a member literally assured you that you would get the Gig. Here is a pic of my Turntables from the seventies which I still have and use. I bought those Turntables the first week they came out in the late seventies.

That's because there was some benefit to the client based on your membership - You got some tunes they could not hear elsewhere. The certification process offered by DJVO doesn't give the clients anything they really care about.

wow looks like a one hit wonder yet again - cant stay around for the heat!

wait till I start asking questions!

Artists will get the best exposure possible of their music by the DJ playing the correct versions and the right quality. Not copies and low quality bootlegs that were obtained illegally
Thinking ASCAP has this handled.
To help eliminate (Piracy / Copyright Infringement) of music audio and music video file sharing
ummm yeah sure and then they will stop illegal immigration.
So I can throw away my receipts? and then pay you too?
Can I get that in a written gaurantee?
But only verified members will direct them there? so it kinda cancells each other out.
annd my favorite offering..... really?

Sweetheart your going to have to do alot better than that!
Paul

Paul great responses - lets see if he can answer these first before I start!!