DJ Table? Do you bring your own or use the venue's?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Mack Entertainment

DJ Extraordinaire
Dec 18, 2014
Plainfield,Il
www.mackentertainment.com
Until now I have always used the venue's table for setting up my DJ booth. Recently I had a venue that not only made me setup my own table but they wouldn't give me a table cloth for it until I PAID THEM FOR IT! I had to rent the linen for $7. Also the table wasn't very wide so it limited my setup. I usually have a facade on my table that I light up. I had to remove the facade because the table wasn't wide enough. Bottom line is I'm starting to wonder if it would be wiser to eliminate the "unknown" and just bring my own table to every gig and scrim it out the way I want it.

Thoughts? What do you guys do?

All my current set ups are in cases that fit on a single X-Stand, so I always have two in the van. I do have two different tables in my trailer if I am doing a big set up.

I guess the easy answer is yes I bring everything I need to do any show, all I need is power.

Reactions: Cap Capello
I bring my own now but I have never heard of a venue renting the DJ a table, that cost should be passed on to your client or let the venue know that their well paying client will not be happy to know that they are charging you for a service/item that they have probably already payed for.

I always carry a 2x4' table and a fold-up 2x4' table w/adjustable legs. My contract specifies to client that (1) 8-ft or 6-ft. banquet table is to be provided for DJ use and table must be skirted (not covered by a simple tablecloth). I carry clips and a skirt for 8-ft table just in case. You don't know if the venue forgets or the client did not specify that the table needed to be skirted, so I always have one.

This story just irks me, How could a venue be so petty over 10 to 20 dollars that just not right.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
We always provide everything we need. Actually, at our last event, they had a big 8 foot table sitting there ready (and we did tell the client we don't need anything) and it took some convincing for them to move it because there wasn't anywhere handy for it to go. We use a 4' table and have a facade that wraps right around it, so we -definitely- didn't want a huge 8' table there.

Most places we go have one for us (regardless) but have no problem putting it away. I get the impression that EVERY other DJ around here, though, insists they have a table provided for them.

I use my own as well. I have a 4 foot table in the van, but prefer to use my 30x30 inch table that has a height adjustable to 40 inches. That way I can stand straight up to operate my controller rather than bending over or sitting in a chair. I also bring a folding chair if I'm using the 4 foot table, or a tall director's stool/chair for use with my tall table. The only thing I require of the venue is electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron
Only on my first outing as a DJ did I not bring my own table and for that I was chastised by the venue owner and schooled on why I should have had my own table.

From that point forward I have always come prepared for the gig and having your own table with suitable skirting of facade is a must. If the venue has already provided an adequate table setup that matches the room decor then I set mine aside and use theirs as in most cases the client has requested this for their DJs use.... Or the venue is just being thoughtful... But what I've found is the venue is generally surprised when a DJ comes so prepared that they don't need their table in the first place and in general this impresses them.

My Contract" said:
The customer will provide the contractor with a secure and stable 6-foot (or larger) table. The table should include a tablecloth and a table skirt, if available. The customer will also provide the contractor with at least one 20-amp AC outlet within 6 feet of the table. The contractor, at his discretion, reserves the right to discontinue all or part of equipment usage if the power provided is not capable of operating the equipment without risk of damage to the equipment. The surface on which the contractors are to play cannot be dirt, gravel, or any other unstable surface. The customer agrees to furnish a facility that completely covers the contractor’s equipment from direct sunlight and rain. If service must be discontinued for any of the aforementioned reasons, the full balance is still due.

I know in alot of places it's common but I've never had anyone ask if I brought my own table that's unheard of in this area. I wonder if they might think I'm stealing the table if I did bring one and left with it lol

Reactions: DJ J Mac
Wow thanks for all the answers on this one. It looks like the consensus is bring your own table or put it in your contract that a table must be provided.

I know in alot of places it's common but I've never had anyone ask if I brought my own table that's unheard of in this area. I wonder if they might think I'm stealing the table if I did bring one and left with it lol

Love the part in your contract about not playing on dirt,gravel or any unstable surface. Also that the customer furnishes a facility that covers the equipment from direct sunlight and rain. Going to have to remember that little tidbit for my contract!