Difference in headphone and USB jack?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Jan 22, 2008
Ontario
What is the difference if I come out of my computer headphone jack or my USB interface then go into my amp. Volume? Sound Quality?

What is the difference if I come out of my computer headphone jack or my USB interface then go into my amp. Volume? Sound Quality?
To better answer your question, what are you connecting to the USB a Soundcard? What are you using or attempting to do?

I would not suggest going from headphone jack directly to Amp. Where is the Mixer? Is the signal adequate enough for the Amp's Input?
EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:
I have to admit I use both onboard as well as external Soundcards but I want to clarify.
First, most people buy "off the shelf" Laptops with Generic onboard Soundcards. These are the ones I do not recommend for serious DJ use because of their inferior quality. Not all external Soundcards are quality either. You get that for which you pay. Expect the lowest for the cheapest.
All my Laptops have custom/special ordered Souncards which give incredible performance. When I am doing Karaoke and DJ together I use my onboard for Karaoke and the External with my DJ Software Traktor for DJ performance. All Outputs go to my DJ Mixer.
My Custom ordered Dell XPS has 2 Onboard high quality Soundcards.

Last edited:
The headphone jack is dependent on the quality of the onboard computer amplifier, which for a lot of machines is very basic, so sound quality isn't a s good as a separate box can usually do. Output is lower, primarily so it doesn't overload a pair of headphones. It will work in a pinch and isn't horrible.

Using the USB output and going to a decent USB D/A converter (some mixers have one built in and there are a number of external ones available at all prices) allows you to get the quality you want and generally the output level is higher.

If it's a one time thing, go with the headphone out .. if this is how you plan to go forward, a USB connection to an external USB soundcard is preferred. If you have a budget, let us know and we can recommend options.

Sounds like a plan.

Sounds similar to what I use Laptop -->NI Audio 10 (VDJ8, 4 decks (CH A, CH B,CH C, CH D, Main Out is for the VDJ Sampler --> RANE MP-44 and A&H S2R (Separate rigs) --> Processing --> Amps --> Passive speakers.

I'm able to use and cue each channel on the mixer and everything else I need to do keeps things in order. Adding another USB device such as headphones may clog things up a little bit (Depending on your computer specs).

Reactions: steve149