Didn't we once have a "Nooby" DJ category? and how can we help them?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Papa Deuce

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2006
Valley Forge Area
It seems that - and this makes sense - as we grow larger here on ODJT, that we are attracting many inexperienced DJs to the site. But about 95% of the regular posters are "well seasoned". I can see the frustration and anger in some repsonses to the questions that these new DJ's are asking....

I think that many of us - myself included - get a little twisted when someone who has no idea of what to do comes along and seemingly expects us to "do their job" for them.

I guess I should look at these posts as if I was watching TV and I have a remote control in my hand.... I can switch the channel or turn it off.... but I have a compulsion to read MOST threads here.

Is there SOME way that we could do something to help these new DJ's without making them embarassed to ask these questions, while at the same time letting them know that we are here to help, but we are not here to do their jobs for them?

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Someone may feel like an idiot asking something you don't know, but if somebody has a question then there must be others with the same question. Remember nobody knows everything (Well except for Rick :D:D:D:D:D:D). So to any newbie out there if you have a question go ahead and ask it here.

We will try to help you and never laugh or label you as a dumb person. If you got here you're in the right place.

Is there SOME way that we could do something to help these new DJ's without making them embarassed to ask these questions,

I ain't got all night kid -- what exactly did you do wrong now...? :sqerr: :sqlaugh:

Go ahead, you can ask -- I won't make fun of ya...

(snicker, snicker -- Got a live one guys) :D

There's green and there's reckless. I've seen too much of the latter.

I will continue to be Barney Fife and "Nip it in the bud"!

Some people just need a hard fast dose of the truth. In the end, it will help us all.

It is easy to empathize with rookies, we all started at square one, but it is another thing all together to support irresponsible behavior. Behavior such as accepting events that are beyond one's ability or capacity, contributing ZERO to a community and expecting valuable assistance by simply asking, accepting compensation for performance promises then seeking, with no reciprocal compensation, the plans and methods by which those promises can be fulfilled.

Learn on your own dime not the client's. Instead of cheapening the craft, start at an entry level position and WORK up by gaining experience. Doing so provides a useful, responsible, and educational experience and prevents another under experienced poser from creating more ill will toward our industry.

Sometime back we had a forum for members new to the biz. Nobody was posting in it so we got rid of it. We had a teen DJ forum, too. Same results.

I'm gonna presume we're helping people by doing what we're doing ~ discussing different ways of doing things. A lot of members browse these forums but don't post. If they can get helpful info by browsing, that's good. :)

Well we had the Wiki. A wiki is basically a user edited encyclopedia. The idea behind it was the more experienced DJs who don't mind helping newbies could contribute to it then when a question comes up we can just link to it instead of repeating the same thing over and over again.

The wiki idea tanked. I think a lot of our members didn't know quite what a wiki is and it required the learning of a separate markup language from that of vBulletin. Plus I didn't promote it very well at the time. I kept it alive for almost a year and a half, Travis contributed some good stuff but other than that it was just a chore keeping the spam under control and I trashed it. Funny thing is shortly after we started our Wiki another DJ forum started one and it looks like it's taken off quite nicely. :dontknow:

Ditto what Fred said on the both the teen and beginner's forums they were pretty much dead. I figure we're better off having them post questions in the big show or gear heads as most did anyhow.

I'm open to starting another wiki if that sounds like a good idea to our members. There's some new software which ties the wiki right into vBulletin so no one would have to learn new markup. I haven't looked at it in quiet a while though, I'm not sure if it runs on the latest vBulletin plus getting locked in to add-ons isn't the best idea when it comes time to upgrade. I'd rather keep the Wiki as a separate entity.

We could always do sort of an article database with Doug's favorite CMS, Joomla but from what I've read the bridge with vBulletin is hit and miss so it would require separate logins. Even a simple blog with a custom coded template could serve us well as sort of an article database.

At any rate, I'm always open to ideas and more then willing to provide the backend to do it with. I'm not that great of a writer and don't have that much knowledge, other then what I've read of the mobile side of things.

It is easy to empathize with rookies, we all started at square one, but it is another thing all together to support irresponsible behavior. Behavior such as accepting events that are beyond one's ability or capacity, contributing ZERO to a community and expecting valuable assistance by simply asking, accepting compensation for performance promises then seeking, with no reciprocal compensation, the plans and methods by which those promises can be fulfilled.

Learn on your own dime not the client's. Instead of cheapening the craft, start at an entry level position and WORK up by gaining experience. Doing so provides a useful, responsible, and educational experience and prevents another under experienced poser from creating more ill will toward our industry.

You just missed my "O" face. :sqlaugh:

I don't mind helping "noobs" but I won't give them the answer the first time. The best way to learn is to find the answer yourself. I steer people towards the answers. Spoonfeeding people only leads them towards copying your style, instead of developing their own. Also, finding answers instead of being spoonfed the answers reinforces those answers better.

I think developing and training your own competition is a fabulous, well thought out, exemplary business plan, a plan that every respectable mobile DJ should undertake and implement immediately. Let's start The MDJDPPSASW !

(The Mobile Disc Jockey Department Of Public Performance Services And Social Welfare.)

It is very important that each person who participates, without credentials and any identity, be brought up to immediate warp 2 speed based on a single post in a public forum where not only fakes abound but the DIY clan lurks in the shadows gleaning valuable information and concepts.

We do this because it is crucial to the image of the industry and the success of our business.

This leads us of course to the ultimate communal Utopian end result.

- - -

Now there are some who don't see it quite this way and would rather squash the gimme gimme newbots from day one.

No, don't give them a fish.

No don't teach them how to fish.

Yes, beat them about the head and face with the fish.

Tch tch tch. Not very neighborly I'd say. Even the Good Book says that the mountains will be leveled and the seas filled-in to where the earth becomes a perpetual Iowa.

What to do. My my, what to do. A quandary.

Yes, beat them about the head and face with the fish.

Tch tch tch. Not very neighborly I'd say. Even the Good Book says that the mountains will be leveled and the seas filled in where earth is a perpetual Iowa.

What to do. My my, what to do. A quandary.
I say either duck or enjoy a salty, scaly facial!!!!

ohfishyfishyfish.preview.jpg

A-fish, a-fish, a-fish, a-fishy, ooooh...That went wherever I did go.

I have noticed some of the new guys asking a few questions, then getting slightly rolled over the coals from others. Not sure that's a great way to help membership growth. ;)

If I see a post where it looks really odd and like their looking for a hand out, I just skim over it and move on if I can't say anything to help them out. I have seen these same posters become active, good members of the board when guided correctly. Then again, I've seen 'em run away with their new found knowledge. ;)

We all have our own ways to deal with the situation. I think for the most part, each of our ways can be justified. But, I encourage everyone.......before offering anything negative, give the positive a shot first. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll be the better person for at least taking the high road. And, you'll really feel proud if you were part of creating another new dj that promotes our industry in a good light.

YMMV......only my 2 cents worth.

I have noticed some of the new guys asking a few questions, then getting slightly rolled over the coals from others. Not sure that's a great way to help membership growth. ;)
If it is quantity you seek, then touché. If a valuable community of respectable and contributory members is more your desire, then you have to recognize and avoid the parasite that can destroy the foundation. It is, as the ever wise Cap..itan so adroitly professed, a quandary.

If I see a post where it looks really odd and like their looking for a hand out, I just skim over it and move on if I can't say anything to help them out. I have seen these same posters become active, good members of the board when guided correctly. Then again, I've seen 'em run away with their new found knowledge. ;)
...and your plan is absolutely perfect...for you. Don't, however, expect everyone to agree or conform.

We all have our own ways to deal with the situation. I think for the most part, each of our ways can be justified.
See prior response.

But, I encourage everyone.......before offering anything negative, give the positive a shot first. Even if it doesn't work out, you'll be the better person for at least taking the high road. And, you'll really feel proud if you were part of creating another new dj that promotes our industry in a good light.
Your exuberant and positive outlook is commendable. But it is simply YOUR's and not everyone's. The High Road is not a sugar coated path. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me damn near every time, well you get the idea.

The mileage on the high road is not better but the destination is.

Rox - you'll notice I didn't quote anyone on this thread. Just throwing out my opinion and two cents on the subject without flaming anyone on theirs.

BTW, I owe some of you some REP, but I have to wait another hour or so. I'll be back. :)

Do or do not...there is no try.

And when that fails...play Celebration.

Bwahahahaha!

But as long as I have your attention, I have a question...is it safe to assume that the little holes on the back of my equipment which are labeled L and R are for the left and right channels? And will I still get those channels if I'm using rabbit ears?