School & Teen Events 'Dance Off' songs?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

djoutlaw

New DJ
Jun 17, 2008
At the jr high/middle schools dances 'Dance Offs' (You Got Served Movie) are quite popular in that everyone stops dancing to watch the battle. Some of these kids got quite the moves. Are these dance offs also popular at the high school level?

Here are some songs that I have used recently for these dance offs:
Get Low--Lil John/Low--FloRida/Forever--Chris Brown/Calbria 2007--Enur/
You Can't Touch This--MC Hammer

What songs have you used for these types of 'Dance Offs'?

DJOutlaw

After having several dance offs at events I've been at, here's a couple of things I've found.

- Don't let anyone know the songs ahead of time (a good dancer should be able to dance to something they don't know)
- The vast majority of new songs really suck for a dance off because everybody does the same thing.

A few songs that I've used in the past:
- Michael Jackson, I try and look for something other than Billie Jean
- Young MC - Bust a Move
- Vanillia Ice - Ice Ice Baby
- Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina
- Aqua - Barbie Girl
- Sisqo - Thong Song
- The Fresh Prince & DJ Jazzy Jeff - Boom, Shake the Room

Hope that helps some.

When I've done dance-offs with younger crowds, I've picked random songs - songs that kids wouldn't expect. I find that it's good to mix old and new because most kids can dance to the new stuff. When having a dance-off, the dancer who shines is the one who can adapt to different songs and not just dance to something new. I also don't necessarily play the entire song...a good 30 seconds to a minute (depending upon the rules of the dance-off) suffice.

I've used the following random songs:
"Billie Jean" - Micheal Jackson
"Barbie Girl" - Aqua
"This is Why I'm Hot" - Mims
"Bust a Move" - Young MC
"Oops! I Did It Again" - Britney Spears
"Staying Alive" - Bee Gees

Other songs that would make good random dance songs:

"Looking for the Perfect Beat" - Afrika Bambaataa
"Mr. Roboto" - Styx
"Wannabe" - Spice Girls
"Push It" - Salt-N-Pepa
"Sexyback" - Justin Timberlake
Pick a random, current techno song
Pick a random song that was made popular by the Backstreet Boys or N'SYNC]

Use whatever else that you think will bring out the best skills from the contestants.

It seems to me when I have used older songs for the dance-offs the kids don't respond very well and whine...so I try to keep the song choice somewhat current.

I guess it depends on the type of students you have in front of you.

I have played Mr. Roboto at a dance but not as a dance-off song--I will try it.
Barbie girl song is always a hit!

Another song I forgot about is by Haddaway--What is love--kids also go grazy for this one.

^ :sqcool:

WHAT IS LOVE is my secret in the stash jam...I put it on after "Like a Prayer" or "Around the World (la la la)" but before i throw on a club smash like "Sandstorm", "Heaven" (dj sammy) etc...the kids go crazy haha, also works as a transition to go into a disco set, which the kids actually respond to in my experience!

i did an eight grade dance recently, where there was a dance-off of sorts:

first track: yeah - usher
second track: dancing queen - ABBA - got tons of laughs
THird- ABC - jackson 5

for highschoolers and older crowds:
any top 40 hiphop track should work!
Ms. New Booty, Shake ya tailfeather, Smack That, Camera Phone, Ante Up by MOP (for the breakdancers, if there are any), Jiggle It (young leek) and for Laughs- white and nerdy, randomly drop kung fu fighting or any other popular disco track.