Conversion Program/Utility, Batch File Name Change From First Last to Last, First

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Cap Capello

Always @ Ur Service
ODJT Supporter
Dec 14, 2006
Saratoga, NY
www.imadj.com
After purchasing about 400 new .mp3 track, both the file name and the tag file name is:

Artist First Name Artist Last Name

I wish to change to whole directory of files to:

Artist Last Name, Artist First Name. (note the need to insert a comma between last name then first name.)

Is there such a utility out here somewhere?

Cap, years ago you recommended mp3tag and it's been great for me. Thanks for that.

Ummm...have you tried it for this purpose?

Reactions: DjDennis
Just select the files, click on tools, go to artist field and select what you need.
Tag_zps608c257c.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy A
Many moons ago ;)

Thanks to all who replied. I'll give each a try.

The MP3TAG program does not have this feature (dammit).

MP3Tag DOES do this. I use it all the time. The issue with all of them comes when you have more than a two word name.

Billy Idol easily converts to Idol, Billy
Using the same rules, Rolling Stones would become Stones, Rolling
Billy Ray Cyrus .. Should it be Cyrus, Billy Ray .. or Ray Cyrus, Billy
Using the same rules, Hank Williams, Jr would become Jr, Hank Williams.

I bring this up because caution MUST be applied because most programs look at the variable and apply the rules regardless. The software doesn't know how the names should be done - it does exactly what you're asking it to do.

MP3Tag will do this - and then you can easily rename the file from the tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunlopj
Where is the command in Mp3Tag that does the conversion? Can you help Tigger?

You have to build a 'Replace With Regular Expression' Action.

Example:

Action Name: FN MN LN to LN, FN MN
Action: Replace With Regular Expression
Field: Artist
Regular Expression: (.*) (.*)
Replace Matches With: $2, $1

This will convert Bryan Adams to Adams, Bryan
It will also convert Three Dog Night to Night, Three Dog

Last edited:
Before seeing your reply I downloaded tag and rename and it did the job for me very easily.

I received your post but I don't understand the expression so I'm at a little bit of a loss. Thank you for your reply and I bake give it a try just to experiment when I have some free time.

At the top of MP3Tag, there is an Actions menu.

1: Click Actions, then Actions again or (ALT-6) .. btw, you must have at least one file selected in order for the Actions menu to be active.
2: This will open the Action Groups window
3: From there, to create a new Action, click the 'Star' icon or press Alt N
4: Give the Action a name
5: Press Enter
6: 'Star' or Alt N to add a new Action
7: Select 'Replace With Regular Expression'
8: Press Enter
8: Enter the following:
Field: Artist
Regular Expression: (.*) (.*)
Replace Matches With: $2, $1
9: Press Enter
10: Press Enter
11: Select Close

Now if you click the Actions menu, you will see the new Action you made. Select the files you want to run this Action against, click Action menu and your action. Done.

Creating your Actions takes a minute .. but once it's done, it's done. I use MP3Tag for all renaming tasks - it allows you to customize whatever you want.

For naming, I have 2 possible conversions

FN LN to LN, FN (FN MN LN to LN, FN MN)
FN MN LN to MN LN, FN

Just a FYI for those that do not know - keep in mind that whatever Tag editing app you use, you are only changing the tag. You still have to go through another process to rename the file after the tags are done.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tig. If you see the post by DJ SVO, you'll see the simplicity of the other program. I have no idea what $2, $1 is or means so the Actions menu in mp3tag is far too cumbersome at this stage of the game. No doubt, at some point in time, I may get pressed into learning all that jargon but far, easy is more gooderer.

Thanks, Tig. If you see the post by DJ SVO, you'll see the simplicity of the other program. I have no idea what $2, $1 is or means so the Actions menu in mp3tag is far too cumbersome at this stage of the game. No doubt, at some point in time, I may get pressed into learning all that jargon but far, easy is more gooderer.

Cap, that program does what MP3Tag does - just the 'Action' is already created for you. With MP3Tag, you just have to create the action and again .. once it's created, it's done. Same, same. Ease of use is the same too. For MP3Tag, click Actions, select your action. For the other app, click Tools, Artist Field Tools, select action.

$1 and $2 are variables - in this case, FN ($1) and LN ($2).

You don't have to learn it - it's already created for you - all you have to do is make the Action.

The Actions menu is like the Tools menu on the other app. Just a way for you to get to the Action (Tool) you need to do whatever it is you are trying to do. They both do the same basic things. With both, you also have to rename the files after the tags have been redone. Beyond that, I know MP3Tag allows you to build your own fully customized scripts.

Example, I had an Action that would go through and capitalize all first letters, remove 'funny' characters and replace them with the equivalent, like é with e. I also retitle genre's HOT/AC becomes Ac Hot, URBAC becomes Ac Urban. I catch name misspellings too (Mccartney becomes McCartney, Mcgraw becomes McGraw, etc). I want consistency.

For anyone using a Tag Editor , ensure that you review the tags after running to ensure no errors occurred. For those renaming files/folders with the newly modified tags, any errors will carry over to the filename/foldername.

Last edited:
Excellent tutorial, Sir Tigger. I shall sally forth and do battle with ye olde Action Menu.

Totally at your discretion Cap, I just didn't want you to toss MP3Tag because you thought it was not 'friendly'. They both do similar tasks. From my own use of MP3Tag, you can get it to do most anything you want it to. I know next to nothing about the other app. For basic uses, seems similar.

I have MP3Tag doing custom things for me, which simply does a kind of find and replace .. and that Find and Replace list is constantly growing.

You can build it all into one action - but I keep them separate .. makes it easier to see what is happening per step, this way I can catch errors and correct.

Something valuable to know - if you make a mistake in MP3Tag, CRTL-Z undoes changes 1 step at a time. Example - if you accidentally just changed all the artists names to Elvis, CTRL-Z puts them back the way they were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan The Man