Company Christmas parties

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Being that you have added to your post, I will respond to the changes.

(Remember the big debate there was about the song by Arrow Hot Hot Hot?

Do you remember the conclusion? Not one event has ever gotten a better response from one version over the other. You happen to like that version and you may get a better response (at times). Others may obviously feel different and get different responses. You have no concrete evidence or proof that one version gets a globally better response than the other.

BTW why are you butting in and finding fault with what I posted? Its none of your business. You are the one bringing it to attention.

Last I checked, this is a public forum that allows input from everyone. If you don't like the responses from others, then take it to private messaging.

Mike is a grown man and should be able to take care of himself.

I'm certain that he can.

What was I supposed to do, place a Smiley face after my comment so he knows I am joking with him?????

Maybe you should ask Mike if he took it as a joke.

When you constantly say the same things about people,
things that are not true...
and you only say it when you are being backed into a corner...
then you are NOT joking.

Just because you can supposedly get people to dance to Christmas songs...
does not mean I was wrong. Regardless if you are successful or not.
It also does not mean that you are better because you can....
and it does not mean that my customers are not happy with my services.

As for Arrow, I never said I wouldn't play songs if they were not requested by the client.
YOU said that....and I'm sure you know that it is NOT true.
What I said, is that I never play the Arrow version, because no one ever requested his version.
Not taking chnaces doesn't make a damn bit of difference in my performance,
just as taking chances doesn't make you a better DJ.

When will you realize that it's GOOD for DJ's to do things differently?
When are you gonna realize that things in Texas are diferent than the other states?

Oh yeah...maybe if you'd lighten up and start enjoying your time here, you wouldn't NEED smileys.

Mike, things are not different in Texas. They have the same various audiences that we do. Don't be lead to believe otherwise. Sure, there are some variances .. but not like it's being portrayed.

Reactions: Ausumm
Knowing how and when to mix/blend songs can also go a long way into dancers accepting/staying on the Dance Floor. I get new music every day and will more often than not play songs that have not made it to the radio. Some never do. People are hearing it for the first time and they dance. If one knows how to properly mix, at any event, they can keep their material fresh and dance floor full.
Audiences are getting younger and more adventurous. The days of playing the same old classics are winding down. When people come up to your DJ Booth after dancing a song for the first time and ask "What is the name of the song you just played? I like it!" then you know you are truly doing your task as a DJ.
Many of the same people who go to Private functions also frequent the Clubs. So trying to only play "safe" songs is lame. That is for the Push Play DJs who are used to being handed a Playlist by their Client. Learn to step outside the norm and be a leader instead of a follower.
Some DJs are hiding behind their ineptness by using excuses that don't make any sense anymore. "My Clients don't want this....My Clients don't like this....My Clients did not ask for this....blah blah blah!"
This weekend would be my first to start integrating Christmas Music into my mixes. My audiences will be getting healthy doses of new material, Reggae Christmas, Spanish/Latin Christmas etc . I am looking forward to it with no fear. If I lose a Floor I know how to mix out and get back the floor. Play a new fast song just before you are about to play a slow song that is bound to work. If they walk off on the new one then use your fade and play the slow one.

I'll say it again guys. If you think there's any way possible that Canute is EVER going to concede that he was wrong on even the slightest point, you're wasting your time and energy. He doesn't have the character for it and I'm convinced, never will. My view, the guy is a negative asset to this forum and always will be. I really don't understand why he's allowed to hang around.

My .02.

Reactions: steve149
The worst part is the constant hijacking of threads which evolve into the same arguments over the different styles of the DJ's on this board.
I had 6 posts on this thread. 5 of them are relevant to the topic and one was a reply to an accusation. Where is the Hi Jack?

I for one, like when news about new equipment and optional ways of doing things are posted on this forum by others. I don't get offended when somebody disagrees with me. Sometimes we need to look beyond personalities and realize that there IS more than one way to peel an apple. Both Steve 149 and Houstondj post new technologies or trends all the time. By the way Steve 149, thanks for posting the Black Friday and Monday deals. I noticed some of us here have taken advantage of the deals.

RR...lighten up just a little on Houston--I don't want to lose his technical postings. :)

Reactions: steve149
When people come up to your DJ Booth after dancing a song for the first time and ask "What is the name of the song you just played? I like it!" then you know you are truly doing your task as a DJ.

Many of the same people who go to Private functions also frequent the Clubs. So trying to only play "safe" songs is lame. That is for the Push Play DJs who are used to being handed a Playlist by their Client. Learn to step outside the norm and be a leader instead of a follower.
Some DJs are hiding behind their ineptness by using excuses that don't make any sense anymore. "My Clients don't want this....My Clients don't like this....My Clients did not ask for this....blah blah blah!"

Still cannot figure out how doing what your client asks you to do is a bad thing!
And if pleasing your clients IS in fact a bad thing...
I can't figure out how I've managed to make a living at it for 30 years.

Making people happy IS doing your task as a Mobile DJ.
I'll leave "introducing new music" to the club DJ and the Radio DJ.

And if you did more gigs, you'd know that most weddings and parties include ALL age groups...
so NO! "most" people who go to private functions do NOT frequent the clubs.

If kids are at the party, they may have Santa make a visit.
If there are only adults, they may have some sort of gift exchange.
That usually is enough "engagement" for the event.
Your clients expectations may vary.

Reactions: TwinSpinDJ and Ron
Reactions: Ausumm
I tell you what, you guys have so much more fun at your parties than I do...it seems that US folk tend not to take themselves seriously whereas here in the UK you've got a huge wall of British "snobbery" to overcome.

If I went into my party tonight and asked the people there to choose one person on their table and dress them up like a Christmas tree and try to get them pumped up it really honestly would fall flat on it's face and I would look like an utter utter idiot. And this is a real shame because I could easily carry it off in terms of presentation it's just that getting the bodies to be involved would be near damn impossible. It's almost the same every year, you have 10 tables in a ballroom, maybe three or four different organizations, as soon as dinner has been served all the men disappear off to the bar to drink beer and shots and fist bump leaving the women to hit the dance floor. Any older guys left in the room then try to hit on the women...it's classic, every damn year!

I tell you what, you guys have so much more fun at your parties than I do...it seems that US folk tend not to take themselves seriously whereas here in the UK you've got a huge wall of British "snobbery" to overcome.

If I went into my party tonight and asked the people there to choose one person on their table and dress them up like a Christmas tree and try to get them pumped up it really honestly would fall flat on it's face and I would look like an utter utter idiot. And this is a real shame because I could easily carry it off in terms of presentation it's just that getting the bodies to be involved would be near damn impossible. It's almost the same every year, you have 10 tables in a ballroom, maybe three or four different organizations, as soon as dinner has been served all the men disappear off to the bar to drink beer and shots and fist bump leaving the women to hit the dance floor. Any older guys left in the room then try to hit on the women...it's classic, every damn year!

First off, welcome, ian. I've done maybe 1-2 parties with Brits and would have to agree with your assessment. The last one I did was a wedding. I tried to cater to the Brits for about 30 minutes and they just stared at me. Finally had one of the American guests ask for something decent and we were off the races. Floor filled and B&G were having a ball.................until British mother-of-the-groom pitched a hissy fit about the material being played. I got the "stop playing this material" request from the Planner, complied, and the floor cleared and they literally left the room. I sat there, playing to the walls for an hour before MOG leads everyone back in, walks up to me and says, (heavy British accent) "Play something we can dance to, like some Queen or some George Michael." They all wobbled around like Weebles for an hour while I threw every British artist thing I could think of and the funny part was, it seemed the more un-danceable crap I threw at them they just Weebled all the more. How do you contend with those types of crowds?

Reactions: ian
BTW, my event last night turned out well, just okay. The big boss flew in from New Jersey and gave a quite-demeaning lecture to his attendees for about an hour. I ran 1.5 hours of dance, some good some not-so-good, then el jerko gave away a bunch of cool door prizes. Played a few more minutes of dance material until they cleared the room, packed up and went home.

Ian, first off welcome! I've deejayed wedding receptions here where half the guest list was straight off the plane from the UK and we had a jolly good time! I just did one in fact, where the groom was right from Liverpool! That's as close to the Beatles as I'll ever get... Anyhow, if you are running a game like in the video I posted, you would NEVER tell anyone that you are going to dress them up like a Christmas tree, no way! You simply ask for each table to send up a volunteer and explain that those volunteers WILL win a prize. People LOVE to win prizes!

I'm not sure where this video was filmed but most likely in England somewhere. It sure looks like the Brits are having a good time! I love the Specials!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA2-6ZlOXeg