Cerwin Vega CVA 118 questions?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJEddyV

New DJ
Sep 25, 2011
Hello all new to forums , thought this would be the correct place to put this post

I recently purchased two Cerwin Vega active powered CVA118 from musicians friend

They are used in class "B" so used very little , I had a gig this weekend and Put the gain to 3/4 the way up on the subs, The gain on my software on 3/4 and my
main volume control half way up (usually where I keep it) after about 5 mins I started smelling this funny smell like something burning but very lightly I've read this is maybe normal? Like the subs are breaking in? Or did I keep the settings too high on all my stuff and maybe it's clipping way too hard? because yes the limit light was on everytime the beats would hit but I figured that is a little normal maybe?

anyone with any information on subwoofers or these models I would really appreciate some information!

I bought these subs as an upgrade so I really don't want to blow them as they are very expensive

thanks guys

I would highly suggest you call Cerwin Vega and ask them. They will know best.

First, what was your signal chain?
Second, was the clip light always on or barely flickering when the bass hit?
Third, how many times have you used the subs?

First, what was your signal chain?
Second, was the clip light always on or barely flickering when the bass hit?
Third, how many times have you used the subs?

I'm not sure what you mean by signal chain,

It was on when the bass hit and stayed on during long bass lines and I have only used the subs One time

Source--> Mixer --> Processing, etc.
The clip light should only flicker ot should not be constantly on.
It could be the intial burn in, but I'll wait for your info on the signal chain.

I go L input on the left sub and R input on the right sub and plug into my mixer L and R, from there

again L and R THRU to my top cabs

It could be burn in,but like Canute mentioned give CV a call. And most importantly don't keep the clip lights on, back off on the mixer so they just flicker when the bass hits.

Im shocked most people mention lights but cant hear their speakers clipping. Whats there to miss when they go from decent sounding thimp to pure shid hitting bricks????????????

And remember red means stop ;) Constant red through the bass note = heavy clipping which is very bad for the driver.