Can I run powered speakers through a separate amplifier?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ronster

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 18, 2007
California, USA
The Altos require a line level input and can't take a speaker output as is on the back of the Harbinger. The only way to hook it up (without using a reamp circuit) is to use the Rec out jacks on the front of the amp. Problem with that, is the RCA jacks are unbalanced and using unbalanced cable to run to the speakers may generate hum and noise, especially with lengths over 10' or so.

Why do you want to use the powered amp with the powered Altos?

I dont like the sound of the Harbinger speakers, but I like the compact amp/mixer. So I was considering using different speakers with that amp. We have the Alto's for my wife's dance classes. (She's a Zumba instructor)

Do you have a DJ mixer as well or do you run everything to the Harbinger?

Forget what everyone else is telling you. You most certainly CAN run a power amp's output into a powered speaker. It will effectively double your volume and rock everyone's socks off.

not. ;)

Darn, and I was going to bring extra socks to sell to the now sockless dancers!

Reactions: Ausumm
You actually can drive a powered speaker from a speaker out using a re-amp box (2 for stereo). Basically a transformer based step-down setup that works like a DI box but with higher input voltages (speaker level), Guitarists use them to go out of amp to a mixer. Just not worth getting a pair at $150+ a piece to do this, when a cheap Behringer mixer can be had for less than $50, which is what I would recommend, as the Rec out jacks on the Harbinger aren't controlled by a master volume control, so you'd be doing all the level controls either with the channel gains or at the back of the speaker.

Last edited:
I say GO FOR IT! Even if it all blows up, you're only out what...a couple hundred bucks?:headbang:

Besides the rec out, this mixer lacks an output that would bypass the amp. I'll go along with Steve's solution of getting a low cost mixer for the altos.

You might be able to do it with a couple of regular DI boxes (as opposed to re-amp), but then you've got to use adaptors. You could also try one of the RCA-equipped DI's out there, but in the end, the other fellows are correct-- the simplest and cheapest solution is just using a small mixer!

GJ

There are a lot of cheap DI boxes (~ $30) that will accept speaker outputs and provide a mic level balanced output. The Altos have an input level control so, start with levels down at Both ends and gently find the balance point so you don't damage anything.

That being said - this a totally ghetto method of approaching your audio preferences and it rarely turns out well for the equipment or your personal experience.