Bringing wifey to the "dark side"

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Rick, is there a special skin you use for DJing on winamp? Just curious how you have it set up for this use. Are you just creating a playlist and letting it roll?

No, basic skin. I setup 2 PCs, each with winamp. I then replicate the major event songs on both units and play them in sync (start one, then the other) in case of some kind of PC failure. Incidentally, I have had a bad memory chip cause a system crash but never winamp.

On winamp, I have it set to crossfade with a 5 second lead time. I can snag songs and throw them into the list, rearrange, etc. I usually do full song plays but if mixing is needed, just use the 2nd laptop. If I'm running it like usual, during dinner I'll have a Sinatra piece running on loop. During dance, I'll have a hip-hop piece looping continuously. If I were to lose the 1st machine, just hit the fader on the 2nd unit. After losing that memory chip, no way would I trust a single machine ever again, and for you Mac guys yes your Mac can have machine problems as well. You should always be prepared with a hot backup in place, IMHO.

Incidentally, not that anyone cares, I wanted to share my history with winamp. I started using it in my pre-DJ days, when I was doing a live, solo-act thing. I'd cut tracks without the electric/lead guitar and lead vocal. Later, I got to syncing homemade videos to my performance tracks. Winamp had a really nice way of handling the video where the video screen could be broken out to display on the projector. When the video track was done, the video window closed and I kept using audio-only winamp on my main laptop screen. I know there are lots of nice features of dual-deck, software media players but I've never been convinced of the actual benefit over what I'm currently doing. And there you have it why I'm a DJ hack who uses winamp to DJ professional jobs with.

Reactions: DJ_MJ
One trolling post to many for this guy.
A Jack of all Trades and Master of none. Hey look on the bright side. If Winamp fails, there is always Windows Media Player.

Reactions: DJ JohnThe1
A Jack of all Trades could never be a Master of one.

I agree .. though, personally, I prefer having being a Jack (no -off comments please).

I would use Window's Media player as it is free.. instead of Winamp.. and Windows media player has autocrossfade also.. so.. lol

Though I haven't used Winamp in some 15 years, and use WMP only when necessary, I have used iTunes as a background player, and will continue to do so, since it has some auto-run features not in Traktor, VDJ or PCDJ.

A Jack of all Trades and Master of none. Hey look on the bright side. If Winamp fails, there is always Windows Media Player.

It must just gall you. A hack, button-pusher who uses winamp, only DJs part-time, and been doing it for 20+ years less than you, yet, yet my DJ business has far surpassed anything you've ever been able to accomplish in all your years. Your reactions are completely understandable, I guess.

Reactions: DJ TJ
LOL you are so funny! Yep. you are going to get another one in about 15mins! LMAO

Reactions: Dj Nightmare
LOL you are so funny! Yep. you are going to get another one in about 15mins! LMAO

Here's the point. I realize it's your personal style to put down, insult and belittle others, most likely in an attempt to make yourself look good. You really should stop. It's ridiculous that a part-timer could kick your arse, business-wise, yet here one is, doing it year in and year out. And still, you stand there and insist on throwing insults, immersed in your delusions of grandeur. I'm nobody special. Just a guy who pushes hard to produce well for his family and for those on his team who depend on the income. You could stand to learn a thing or fifty because your present choice of behavior only makes you look idiotic.

Here's the point. I realize it's your personal style to put down, insult and belittle others, most likely in an attempt to make yourself look good. You really should stop. It's ridiculous that a part-timer could kick your arse, business-wise, yet here one is, doing it year in and year out. And still, you stand there and insist on throwing insults, immersed in your delusions of grandeur. I'm nobody special. Just a guy who pushes hard to produce well for his family and for those on his team who depend on the income. You could stand to learn a thing or fifty because your present choice of behavior only makes you look idiotic.

Be careful Rick, when you show up Canute, he puts you on ignore so he doesn't need to face the music (so to speak).

Reactions: ittigger
It is not a put down my dear fellow. I am only calling it as I see it! Drapes, Uplighting, Gobos, Lighted Centerpieces, Live Text, "DJ" now Photographer extraordinaire ...did I miss anything? Jumping from one thing to another does make you appear as a Jack of all Trades. Oh yeah, using a Y Connector backwards and you are supposed to be a DJ and Musician. Listen bro, the others can eat into your BS but you are not fooling me. All these Gigs you claim to have on a weekly basis. Where are the Photos? Knowing how you like to brag so much there would have been scores of Pictures of those other Gigs that you have other DJs do!
There are patterns that I have noticed. You come on here and talk about something or some Client and almost always within a short period of time they call to book. Coincidence? Nahhh! There is plenty of proof that I have from your own postings where I caught the lies. If you don't believe me I can post a thread where there is a big lie. Anytime anyone calls you out on something its always your response that "All your Clients, Planners and Venues love it!" Sorry I am not that gullible! You just want attention! If you know it was true what you were saying, then why get on the defensive? If you were all about the best as you claim then why not get a proper DJ Software as everyone else?

Reactions: Dj Nightmare
It is not a put down my dear fellow. I am only calling it as I see it! Drapes, Uplighting, Gobos, Lighted Centerpieces, Live Text, "DJ" now Photographer extraordinaire ...did I miss anything? Jumping from one thing to another does make you appear as a Jack of all Trades. Oh yeah, using a Y Connector backwards and you are supposed to be a DJ and Musician. Listen bro, the others can eat into your BS but you are not fooling me. All these Gigs you claim to have on a weekly basis. Where are the Photos? Knowing how you like to brag so much there would have been scores of Pictures of those other Gigs that you have other DJs do!
There are patterns that I have noticed. You come on here and talk about something or some Client and almost always within a short period of time they call to book. Coincidence? Nahhh! There is plenty of proof that I have from your own postings where I caught the lies. If you don't believe me I can post a thread where there is a big lie. Anytime anyone calls you out on something its always your response that "All your Clients, Planners and Venues love it!" Sorry I am not that gullible! You just want attention! If you know it was true what you were saying, then why get on the defensive? If you were all about the best as you claim then why not get a proper DJ Software as everyone else?

Thanks for illustrating my point. Instead of gleaning something useful from the conversation and saying to yourself, "Maybe there's something there that I can glean to make my business better." you come back with "jack of all trades" and accuse me of lying. Let me broaden your quite narrow mind. I'm no "Jack of all trades", I'm simply expanding my product base and my company. I'm not snapping pics for our Photography offerings. My wife and a few other pro-line photographers are covering this portion. On Photobooth, I'm not running over there to push the button. I have people hired and trained to handle this portion. It's called EXPANDING your operation and it's quite apparent that you have a hard time grasping that concept. Heck, you can't even book your own gigs but depend on agents to spoon feed you the majority of the stuff you post here. Seems the only things that you're booking are the crap, corner bar, karaoke gigs where you have 3 drunk girls in every picture. But by all means, keep going with your semi-snappy comebacks and put-downs. You have a long track record and reputation to up-hold and don't forget, there ain't no more forums left that will endure your continuous drivel.

Now don't you have a corner bar gig to get to?

Not naming any names but kinda seemed to fit......
10404394_834471649907110_6710995764134384637_n.jpg

OK ... I'm charming and never wrong .. does that make me 22% sociopathic?

Reactions: Ausumm
Crap!!!! Oh, no I'm a psychopath not a sociopath :D :D :D

Reactions: ittigger
I shall now attempt to bring put this train back on track.

Rick, I can understand having a hot PC ready to go as a backup, but since you are already doing that, why not load them both with a dedicated DJ program? The licenses of most allow for two installs for that reason.

I actually do that when I am doing an important gig. Each PC has an external ASIO soundcard connected to the same 2 channel DJ mixer (that has had the phono inputs converted back into regular inputs). Easily switch between either PC.

Winamp is no longer supported. From your photo you look young enough that you will probably outlive an OS that still plays it. Sooner or later you may have to switch.

Reactions: oldschooldj
I shall now attempt to bring put this train back on track.

Rick, I can understand having a hot PC ready to go as a backup, but since you are already doing that, why not load them both with a dedicated DJ program? The licenses of most allow for two installs for that reason.

I actually do that when I am doing an important gig. Each PC has an external ASIO soundcard connected to the same 2 channel DJ mixer (that has had the phono inputs converted back into regular inputs). Easily switch between either PC.

Winamp is no longer supported. From your photo you look young enough that you will probably outlive an OS that still plays it. Sooner or later you may have to switch.

You're correct. Sooner or later, I'll switch to something else. Thanks for making the argument in a more reasonable manner.

Reactions: Ausumm
One of the reasons I use VDJ, I have VDJ8 and VDJ7 loaded on my computers. You can have it on two systems. I have my spare ready, with a synced i-tunes library (playlist, thank you Steve149 for the advice on the playlist export) and VDJ8 ready to go.

I could be running another gig with the primary and backup on VDJ7, but as I mentioned somewhere on one of these post, I only have one music library and no matter what the influence is to make more money, I will keep it professional and legal. If it wasn't for the artist producing the music, I would have no job, so I will give them their due :)

Reactions: steve149