Bridge With NL4 Connectors/Cable

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Bassmaster84

New DJ
Jul 23, 2008
www.hotspotsdj.com
Need cable advice to mono bridge a QSC RMX2450 amp:
1. Cable must be 4-wire with a Neutrik NL4 connector?

2. Any problem with NL4 connectors mating with amps, speakers, etc.?

3. On the NL4, I have to disconnect the -1 wire and connect +2
wire to the -1 terminal?

4. Anything else I need to know (or watch out for)?

Thanks for any and all advice!

View attachment 17416
Full size pic: http://www.qscaudio.com/images/hi_res/RMX2450_bk.jpg

Bridged mono on the 2450
1+ will be your positive and 2+ will be the negative at the amp end. At the speaker the speakon connector needs to be wired normally (1+ is positive and 1- is negative) so you need to mark the ends so everything works properly. Sorry about the pic size but you can see the connector proper wiring indicated on the amp.

Attachments

• RMX2450_bk.jpg
    RMX2450_bk.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
If you use all 4 wire cables, and wire the speaker to use the +1 and +2 connectors on the jack plate, then you don't have to worry about which cable you use.

Another option that I would recommend is that since you are probably bi-amping (unless this is just for a bass rig, if it is, ignore the rest of this) make panels for the back of your rack with NL4 speakon sockets. Hook up pins 1+ and 1- to the main amp, and 2+ and 2- to the sub amp, using the terminals with binding posts, or another speakon connector hooked to pins 1+ and 2+. This will give you mains on pins1, and subs on pins 2.
Now wire up your subs with the 2 speakons paralleled, and the wires going to the woofers in the cabinet will be connected to pins2 on the speakons. Pins1 will just pass through to the other connector. Use a short cable to connect the mains to the subs.
You MUST use 4 conductor speaker cable with this setup (at least to the subs), but you'll only have one wire going to the sub, and then a short jumper going from the sub to the main. this short jumper could be 2 wire cable.

I can draw it out later if anybody needs visuals for clarification.

This also allows you to hook up the mains without the subs and just leave the sub amp off if you don't need it for a particular application, since the mains are on pins 1 and they won't use the pins2 of the connector.

Consistency across your setup will minimize errors that could cause down time.

For my friend, I simply made an 'adapter' that had the NL4 plug on one end and the socket on the other. We used standard cables for the runs.

Worked perfectly.

They say you need a 4 wire, but that's not true. You need a 4 wire connector but only 2 of the wires inside. We purchased 12Guage cable to use in the 'adapter' I made up.

Since the amp was rack mounted we left it attached and the adapter 'whip' would come out the front of the rack. It would have been better as a mounting plate, but that wasn't easily found here...