Weddings Brides wanting different/hard to find music

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm usually very careful regarding what I say in forums, in order to be understood. Are my posts being READ, or are people reacting to what they think I MIGHT MEAN, versus what I actually said?

With the example of Tony's music...why doesn't he at least make the songs available as a single download for $1.99 each? Some money is better than none. I just can't see paying for something that I'm never going to use again...especially $15 for a cd. I had a few brides in the past not want to pay this price either. I'm all about making a b&g happy, but I also have bills to pay, mouths to feed etc.

I'll spend some for specific music if I can download it or if it's something that I can use again. But buying a $15 cd you'll never use again? It makes no sense to me. Actually I rather charge $315.00 so I can pick up a $15 cd that I'll never use again.

Never under stood why some DJs go after others for their business practices. I know some say it is for the greater DJ good but it is not your place to do that.

Now insulting Tony is one thing but to have a different view about his pricing which is not insulting, and they you insult them by underhanded comments about wet blankets and hope they find a DJ who will give them personalized service.

Comments like those are just as bad as what they were saying to Tony (except the flat out insult of his music). But to have a opinion of the price of his music that is different than yours, makes you just as rude.

If I need the music and the couple won't buy it, I will buy it. It is none of your concern that I don't like the price.

Karl ----i never understand why dj's need to go after others who disagree with an opinion..... My comments are in direct response to comments made.....One poster insults the man.....one asks why he doesn't structure the pricing differently....I asked why doesn't he? The answer is there...It's Tony's busines; he'll price at what he feels is required, just as we all do. The post wasn't about why Tony prices the way he does or whether we "like" his music....The point is the man was berated and insulted for no good reason.

If you don't want to spend 10 bucks, that's your business. Don't insult the vendor charging 10 bucks....

I agree Steve. But my point was the back handed comments against the DJs. I asked Tony to explain why he does what he does, he explained it and I said thank you. I still think $10 is too much for one song. My opinion.

Insulting Tony and saying his music is bad should not have been done. If by me stating my opinion that I think $10 is too much was insulting, it was not my intent. I already told Tony that I liked the music.

But again, comments about DJs not wanting to do things for their couples and calling people wet blankets is just as insulting in my eyes.

Karl - the "wet blanket" comment was directed at those badgering Tony....If you don't want to spend 10 bucks on a song....fine

If you're going to question why he charges what he charges....well the same question could be directed at you...that was my point...

With the example of Tony's music...why doesn't he at least make the songs available as a single download for $1.99 each?

Cost of doing business....When you calculate in studio time, musicians, printing, pressing, etc I wouldn't be suprised to find out it would cost him $10 to prodouce the CD and probably $8 to prodouce the MP3. You're not talking big numbers here realistically what do you think he'll sell over the course of time? I doubt he will hit the 50,000 mark

Some money is better than none

How many $100 gigs did you do last year? Some money is better than none :sqwink:

Cost of doing business....When you calculate in studio time, musicians, printing, pressing, etc I wouldn't be suprised to find out it would cost him $10 to prodouce the CD and probably $8 to prodouce the MP3. You're not talking big numbers here realistically what do you think he'll sell over the course of time? I doubt he will hit the 50,000 mark

Thanks Jeff...:sqwink:

I think this is getting WAY out of hand.

first of all, at some point, we all play songs that we don't like for one reason or another. that's what we're being PAID to do.
we've all played obscure songs at a gig, which didn't appeal to us, or make sense to us, but were very meaningful (and successful) for the event

secondly, if you a bought something that was considered "RARE", you would expect to pay MORE for it.
if a client requests it, we should play it
if we think it costs too much, pass the cost onto the bride, or refuse the gig

Karl the point is if one doesnt like the price they can simply tell their client sorry but you arent worth 11 bucks. I would need 911 dollars if you expect me to purchase the cd for your special day.

Thanks Kirby for presenting the math. I am amused that so many of our bunch want so much for such little input.

and thats why I have said it and will say it all the time

"All Music Is Subject To Avaliability"

if they have the songs i'll play it but if it only gets played once then why buy it anyway ?

so to me - "All Music IS Subject To Avaliability"

Dennis you are so full of BS lol. I have chatted with you or talked on the phone and you were getting ready to do a gig. Your own words I gotta run for now as I have to pick up some music for my gig. How many times did you tell me this in the past? LOL I have always bought music and yes realized it was likely that I would not use it more than once. Funny thing is that when I share many of these unique songs with my prospective brides they enjoy the uniqueness of them quite often. I also use many of them during dinner or cocktail as they are related to the specific type event and have had people come up and ask what music I was playing. Regardless of what the man charges how does your opinion have any consideration unless of course you were his friend or business associate. My opinion of his music or anyone elses other than the bride who requests it is purely a mute opinion.

It's so funny how egotistical and ironic DJ's can be. Many use online music libraries and then when a bride request a song they get mad because though they advertise 100,000 song library yet they really have 5000. Others claim they are "Full Service" and bitch about buying 10 songs for what $12.90. No wonder we have a bad reputation. It all depends on how you run your business. I will get any song any of my client's need if I only use it once so be it. $1.29 will not hold up $1000.00 :). It's thier day not ours. We are providing a service that they are willing to pay a good amount for we should exceed the expectations know that it takes money to make money. Some DJ's use one of the great on-line programs DJI for example and it wears me out that they boast how BIG thier library is but in fact they can't cover 5% of those songs. We're in the service business like it or not. Rant: Complete...

It's so funny how egotistical and ironic DJ's can be. Many use online music libraries and then when a bride request a song they get mad because though they advertise 100,000 song library yet they really have 5000. Others claim they are "Full Service" and bitch about buying 10 songs for what $12.90. No wonder we have a bad reputation. It all depends on how you run your business. I will get any song any of my client's need if I only use it once so be it. $1.29 will not hold up $1000.00 :). It's thier day not ours. We are providing a service that they are willing to pay a good amount for we should exceed the expectations know that it takes money to make money. Some DJ's use one of the great on-line programs DJI for example and it wears me out that they boast how BIG thier library is but in fact they can't cover 5% of those songs. We're in the service business like it or not. Rant: Complete...

If I could give that one two Thanks I would!

Jon thats why I only buy CDs as I go

if I cant get more than 7x songs from a CD then I dont bother
as it will most likely sit at home gathering dust

now if there is a greatest hits out of an artist then I will consider it about 99.9% of the time because if I dont already have a greatest hit that has all the songs on them well then i'll buy that latest one

as for some songs that I might or might not buy - then thats how it is
I dont give a crap what others do if you cant be in business for more than 30x years and NOT get work then there is something wrong (especially here)

I at present are doing more and more computer repairs and installations and have been taking a well earned rest djing

so there is nothing anyone can say that will make me do any more than what I have been doing for over 30 years now.....

you do thinks your way I'll do it mine (I still get many many calls for me to do thier wedding) so unless the phone stops altogether, then my policy stands and always will do

if I dont have the song and they do then i'll use thiers

have a nice day all (got to get some real work done)

oh PS: I dont use a Computer so its pointless me buying any online...

There are those who cater to the client and those who don't.

I regularly spend money to get the tracks. Clients offer to provide the tracks and I tell them I'd rather get them so I can verify the quality and have them on hand if I'm asked for them again. I bought a CD years ago to get Danny Kaye's 'The Best Things Happen When You're Dancing'. GREAT track. I haven't played it since. I don't care because the client was happy, I have the CD now, and in time I'm sure I'll play it again.

The only time I've ever asked a client to provide a track is if I can't get it because it's cost prohibitive (one time the vinyl version was $250+ and the CD even higher) or if it's unavailable to me in the time allotted for getting it (late request for a local artist I couldn't get to send me the track).

I've ordered stuff in last minute and had it shipped overnight. I've driven 120 miles to pick up a CD at a used CD store.

I cater to my clients. The work I put in is invisible to them. I charge enough that I don't care that I need to order in a CD or two to make them happy. I buy over 250 tracks a month not counting any subscription CDs and have access to thousands every month at no charge (through stuff sent to me directly from labels and record pools). Changing and buying a client's request during a month isn't going to kill me. It's a business expense so in reality it's considered 'pre-tax' income which means that $10 actually cost me about $5.

But how I run my business, and how you run yours might be different. Maybe we cater to different clients. I won't tell someone they're doing it 'wrong' because it's THEIR business, not mine.