Big Powered Subwoofers. Who Wins the Shootout?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
OK Update...Got alll 6 CV horns in and tested. All work perfectly...My buddy and I have 8 together. We tested them 4 at a time on an IPR2 5000 amp. Cops were strolling through the alley within 10 minutes. Needless to say someone a couple blocks away must have reported seismic activity.

Prom should be good this year!

4 Vega horns will do a prom of a 1000 easily 8 in most gyms will produce that legendary brown note....

I have no idea....lol..."Brown Note"

Please divulge and keep it clean...
The brown note is a hypothetical [URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound']infrasonic frequency that would cause humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance. Attempts to demonstrate the existence of a "brown note" using sound waves transmitted through air have failed.
The name is a metonym for the common color of human feces. Frequencies supposedly involved are between 5 and 9 Hz, which is below 20 Hz, the lower frequency limit of human hearing. High power sound waves below 20 Hz are felt in the body, not heard by the ear as sound. The only other vibrations titled with colors are the colors of noise and blue notes.[/URL]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note

Reactions: jtnichol
LOL!!!! Love the brown note just pray nobody is suffering from the runs as pressurized output will ruin everybody's day. One thing is my CV's can provide assistance while performing CPR :D :D :D

There is a new king in the Powered Sub market the EV ETX 18. No need to look anywhere else, if you have the budget this is the choice with no competition in my opinion. I finally got a chance to play around with a pair of these subs and i've never been so impressed.

OK .. a new "contender" ... let's not start another Bose War. :)

Reactions: Loneavenger
ETX 18 - better than the Yorkie? I don't know. 1800W class D and 135db though - so maybe? It's definitely in the price bracket of the Yorkie.

Last edited:
I heard about these a few weeks ago. I believe the tops are equally powered and this series supposedly raises the bar for everyone. That said, I'm not complaining about my yorkies. Saturday, I paired a single ls801p with the Bose L1/M2 again. Wifey went along and this was her first time to hear it and she was blown away.

The ETX subs may be a good contender for the Yorkies, but I'm staying with my Yorkvilles since I am already invested into them. For some funny reason I think EV ETX owners might run into some minor problems down the road because of that built in dsp. I owned my Yorkville 800's since 2007 and to date I never had one single problem. They see 30 events per year and still look and sound beautiful. DSP belongs in a rack not in a speaker.

OK .. a new "contender" ... let's not start another Bose War. :)

Good point haha , i'm cool with that. I Should've added an IMHO at the end, I've been overly excited about these speakers all week since i finally got a chance to hear them.

This sub should be in contention ... 2000w and 143db spl peak but is not for the meek..

http://www.b-52pro.com/products/LX1818V3.html

B52 actually does make some great subs. I had a pair of the Powered ACT 18 subs from them ( One was powered and then the amp also powered a passive version of the sub. ) They were great subs , i'm surprised more people don't talk about the B52's.

The ETX subs may be a good contender for the Yorkies, but I'm staying with my Yorkvilles since I am already invested into them. For some funny reason I think EV ETX owners might run into some minor problems down the road because of that built in dsp. I owned my Yorkville 800's since 2007 and to date I never had one single problem. They see 30 events per year and still look and sound beautiful. DSP belongs in a rack not in a speaker.

I've gotta disagree on this point. The EV DSP's are the same as the ones used in their EV DC One and other similar products and they do that VERY well. These speakers literally for me will allow me to bring out 1 less rack of equipment to an event since I normally use a passive set-up. That's gonna be awesome. From what i can tell these are the most solidly build speakers i've ever seen too so that's a huge plus. Granted my EV Tour X stuff is pretty solid but i believe these are even more heavy duty.

I just took a look at the specs and I don't see a fan.

I will not ever buy a powered speaker (any brand ) without a fan.

Here is the link. http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2596

You're giving me flashbacks to the thermal problems I had with their live-x product. I had those things go down on me in sunlight as well as in indoor, air-conditioned rooms.

Reactions: ittigger
Reactions: ittigger
These specific amps do have vents. Vents lead me to believe that there may be a fan or fans. The ELX series has no vents. Either way, pumping 1800 watts means that there will be heat - and plenty of it .. and I'm sure that they know this.

You're giving me flashbacks to the thermal problems I had with their live-x product. I had those things go down on me in sunlight as well as in indoor, air-conditioned rooms.

I've been lucky then *knock wood* because mine have never gone thermal (ELX12 and 18). If I recall, yours were serviced for it? I have not used them outdoors - that said, all powered mfr's warn about using them outdoors in direct sunlight.

Reactions: DJ Wes