Arrays The Alternative to Boxy Tops

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
They seemed to have fleshed out the line ... could be a good sounding system, but on the east coast, there's no place to hear it.

Any DJs on the board from San Diego that can listen at the Carvin store?

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Visually, those horizontal cabinets stand out too much. IMO. Same reason I don't like the look of a single array cabinet on a pole (JBL Vertec, QSC K Array, etc.) or the Bose 802 series. I'm sure all of them sound fine (I know the Vertec and K Array do). They just look like an ET on a tripod. :)

Too much acoustic energy being directed waist high into the dance floor, unless you place them high up.

The route I would take if I do anything other than traditional:

http://bigeloudspeakers.com/

Website seems a little pubescent ... some Latin filler left in .. 3 pages of speakers .. all the same. When you select any item, it redirects to another website. I would be leery.

Bose is sexier and at 8 feet high with a 100x120 dispersion Pattern, that is Hard to beat!
1007224.jpg
20140607_210934.jpg

I guess it depends on your definition of "sexy" .. these are sexy Boses (or is that Bosi):

1540_1.jpg

I guess it depends on your definition of "sexy" .. these are sexy Boses (or is that Bosi):

1540_1.jpg
The 3rd pictured system... I wonder how/why Bose justified placing mini drivers at the 5" floor level on up. Do they expect dancefloor patrons to be laying down listening to music? Wasted driver placement.

Bose is sexier and at 8 feet high with a 100x120 dispersion Pattern, that is Hard to beat!
1007224.jpg
View attachment 27933
I've always liked the looks of those Bose 802/902's. That setup pic looks hella nice! Makes me want a pair of those tops.

Before I would spend that much money even on Bose I would like to listen to them first.

I have a hard time understanding how the 802's would sound on the hi frequency with out any kind of tweeters or horn.

And last I really don't want to have to add another processor just for the tops only.

Before I would spend that much money even on Bose I would like to listen to them first.

I have a hard time understanding how the 802's would sound on the hi frequency with out any kind of tweeters or horn.

And last I really don't want to have to add another processor just for the tops only.

The processor is electronic (sort of an analog DSP) .. eliminates running power to the cabinets like you'd need to for an active top. I had a pair of EV Interface D speakers back in the late 70s that had the same thing. The 802 was intended for true PA use (speaking and such) and sounds great on vocals. We used to use them years ago for show floors. The highs aren't as crisp as some units, but they're OK. The L1 systems are similar in that the use an array of smaller drivers instead of separate woofer/tweeter, but the L1s use a smaller driver and handle the highs a bit better (but lose a little on the low end .. thus the need for a sub or low-bass radiator).

A benefit of the Bose is a fairly wide dispersion pattern, so you get good room coverage (though it makes it a bit tougher to focus sound if that's what's needed. The L1 (not the 802) truly act like a small line array and propagate sound fairly evenly.

Allow me to explain the details on the Bose 802s. First, depending on the design and specs, a paper cone Tweeter can sound even better than a Horn. Coverage on a paper cone tweeter cone can also be wider than a horn.
The Controller that is recommended for use with the Bose is nothing more than a 2 Way Electronic Crossover. The newer Bose 802s without the ports shown in the front, have Digital Controllers/2 Way Crossovers. You will need a power amp for the Bose 802s as Tops and a separate power amp for the Bass Speakers you choose to use with it. I use JBL Scoops and JBL MRX 518
You can run the Bose 802s in Full Range without Subs. I do so for House Parties and smaller Backyard Parties or for Wedding Ceremonies.
The Bose 802 Drivers x 8 are designed especially for Mids and Highs and will sound much better with a natural tone than a conventional 2 way 12". A 12" speaker is not designed for Mids and Highs. This is why, with a 12" or 15" at higher volumes a lot of the energy is passed on to the little horn and you end up with shrill highs.
Bose coverage is excellent, 120 degrees horizontal by 100 degrees vertical. Most conventional speaker boxes cannot compete with that pattern.
Proper EQ of your Music Source will accurately be reproduced by the Bose 802.
I have been using the same Pair of Bose 802s since 1978. It is weather resistant and I have used it in the middle of the Summer outdoors in the Texas heat to having it rained on outdoors to playing outdoors in the Winter time.
Over the many years I have experimented with various other brands of Speakers as tops, borrowed for the occasion, none has satisfied me as the Bose 802.
Lastly, when you send a Mid/High signal to the Bose 802, unlike most other conventional cabinets, the Bose 802 does not have any onboard filters to discolor the sound.
It is an Articulated Array.
For very large Gyms etc you can stack doubles on each side and even fly them with rigging hardware. I hope this gives you a better understanding. The Bose 802 is in a different Class to conventional boxes.
This was taken a few years ago with a cheap Camera Phone. Its meant to demonstrate the Coverage of the Bose 802s from a reasonable distance. Listen to the clarity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l56mz3ees0sed64/VIDEO0039.3gp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ban34tl30wzmclz/VIDEO0044.3gp?dl=0

Last edited:
Here is another look . This is at a Karaoke Show that I do using either a JBL MRX 518 or JBL Single Scoop as Sub. That is about 7 feet high from floor to bottom of cabinet.
20140829_210552.jpg

It looks like it was hopping that night.

Also .. your Karaoke lyrics are off if that is Amy Winehouse - Rehab. Should say The man said "Why DO you think YOU'RE here" ..

The 3rd pictured system... I wonder how/why Bose justified placing mini drivers at the 5" floor level on up. Do they expect dancefloor patrons to be laying down listening to music? Wasted driver placement.

I've always liked the looks of those Bose 802/902's. That setup pic looks hella nice! Makes me want a pair of those tops.

I don't pretend to know why they work. But I've been using them for 8 years now. They work wonderfully for me. Best system I've ever owned.

I don't pretend to know why they work. But I've been using them for 8 years now. They work wonderfully for me. Best system I've ever owned.

If I had to guess, I'd say that similar to a line array, the lower drivers assist in propagating the sound waves from upper drivers (help with even distribution) and while they may not add to the HF listening, they most assuredly increase the lows and low mids.