ADJ Wi-Flex vs Chauvet D-Fi

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

steve149

Shine on you crazy diamond
Staff member
Sep 26, 2011
Connecticut
I'm looking to add wireless DMX to make it easier to setup. Anyone have experiences with both of these (or even another protocol) to help me decide which one to invest in?

It looks like I can get a transmitter/receiver set for under $200 with either (for the basic models), but is one better (range, dropouts, etc.) or should I look at the "better" protocols of Wi-Fly or the Blizzard set?

I don't envision a lot of receivers (not planning on uplighting), but certainly might grow to 2.

Help !!

I have 2 different revisions on the D-fi (not compatible with each other). These have been awesome. Last time I used them for a church choir thing. I have 2 receivers on the floor sections, stage left and right and the back segment is run by another receiver. I've used them in numerous venues without any problems, well, once when I had an antenna that was loose. Here are some pics:

_Uplighting_Concert_Church_Photobooth+%252834%2529.jpg
305873_10151325440217202_1159788042_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Lots of viewers and no one else has any insight? It's looking like tossup between D-Fi and WiFly. I have no specific wireless ready devices, but I'll look to see what's available and probably make a decision based on what I might get, as the 2 systems seem to be similar and either will probably do for my purposes.

I looked at the Wicicle (blizzard) and the Chinese clones, but they stick out a bit and I'd still have to use a separate power supply as I have no "enabled" DMX ports.

Steve: Lots of insight and use, however it would be of no value to you at the moment as your investigation into wireless DMX has not been explained enough.

Frankly, any of the units you've mentioned will do a job but not without additional pros and cons that are setup and location dependent (e.g. line of sight, distance, number of chained fixtures on each receiver, what functions are these units expected to handle, how much command latency can be tolerated, etc).

What I personally do not like about any of these units is that not only do you still have to use DMX connecting cables, but a power wall wart for each unit as well. That equates to more potential for things to go wrong, power power outlets/strips, and longer set up times.

Since going with battery powered lights including built-in battery powered (wicycle) DMX, DMX computer software, the set up time for 40 individually addressed and separately controlled fixtures is the same as what 10 lights of single static color (using your loosely described proposal) took in the past.

No no no. I will never go back.

Steve: Lots of insight and use, however it would be of no value to you at the moment as your investigation into wireless DMX has not been explained enough.

Frankly, any of the units you've mentioned will do a job but not without additional pros and cons that are setup and location dependent (e.g. line of sight, distance, number of chained fixtures on each receiver, what functions are these units expected to handle, how much command latency can be tolerated, etc).

What I personally do not like about any of these units is that not only do you still have to use DMX connecting cables, but a power wall wart for each unit as well. That equates to more potential for things to go wrong, power power outlets/strips, and longer set up times.

Since going with battery powered lights including built-in battery powered (wicycle) DMX, DMX computer software, the set up time for 40 individually addressed and separately controlled fixtures is the same as what 10 lights of single static color (using your loosely described proposal) took in the past.

No no no. I will never go back.

Thanks Cap ...

I don't do weddings, so don't anticipate up-lighting, but if the reunion/general part crowd start asking, I might look at it.

My lighting is relatively close (within 25 ft usually) and on 2 trees. I wanted to put a receiver on each tree so all I had to do was link the fixtures together with short cables and then just plug the tree in .. hopefully giving me some placement flexibility to work around doorways, etc. I would guess any of them will do it, but if I was dropping $200-$300 and $500 would give me something that would grow better, I'd be all over it. There doesn't appear to be any movement to standardize the protocol yet, so fixtures with built-in wireless need to talk with their own kind .. might be ok if you have 24 of the same up-light, but I have 6 different fixtures (ADJ and Chauvet for now), so the pack+cable is the only way I can go without replacing everything.

Steve : Ahhh, now I got it.

With one receiver on each tree and let's say each tree has 4 DMX capable lights, one receiver will give you control over all four lights at the same time but all responding identically and simultaneously. You would not be able to make one light red, one green, one blue, one white individually unless each fixture was individually addressed and have its own separate individual receiver.

If your trees are free wheeling and do their own thing, that's another story.

Would you share the make and model of the lights you want to make wireless DMX? There are so many ways of "show lighting" mechanics, details are really needed.

Steve : Ahhh, now I got it.

With one receiver on each tree and let's say each tree has 4 DMX capable lights, one receiver will give you control over all four lights at the same time but all responding identically and simultaneously. You would not be able to make one light red, one green, one blue, one white individually unless each fixture was individually addressed and have its own separate individual receiver.

If your trees are free wheeling and do their own thing, that's another story.

Would you share the make and model of the lights you want to make wireless DMX? There are so many ways of "show lighting" mechanics, details are really needed.

I think they can still run independently .. I'm just looking to replace the cable with a wireless connection.

Currently there are 2 Chauvet 4Bars, an ADJ Revo 4, an ADJ LED UV light, an no brand LED PAR and a Micro Galaxian laser (non-DMX and will stay sound active) and space for a couple other small lights. I was hoping to put a receiver on each stand, daisy chain the lights from it and run them independently as if they were cabled.

Just wasn't sure which of the "standards" worked well if say I moved one of the light stands to the opposite side of the room or added a few uplights for effect.

In the products presented, Steve, if a single hard-wired cable is working correctly, then a wireless device such as mentioned earlier should do the trick.

I have used four of the D-Fi units quite successfully in the past without issue. I have no idea where they are right now, it's been that long. They are sensitive in terms of liking an unencumbered line-of-sight.

Reactions: 2 people