2-day event discount?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I had an inquiry last night for Photography service on 5/22 & 5/23. An American Indian wedding. They wanted 5 hours on Friday and full-day on Saturday. I presume day #1 is getting ready and ceremony while day #2 is reception. I've done one of these before and it was really very interesting at how they do their celebration. No booze, just lots of love and family.

They specifically asked for our Gold-level pkg, which has 3 Photobooks with it. I ended up quoting them regular price for our Silver-Photo ($1050) and Gold-Photo ($1350), or $2400 total. I also threw in a free engagement session ($250) to sweeten the deal. I debated on whether to stick to list price or cut a discount (in addition to the freebie engagement) and stuck to my guns, seeing it's a prime weekend. BTW, I'll likely skip doing a DJ job that weekend and will farm them out, if this deal comes thru. My question, would you have given an extra discount for an extra day? I've seen a lot of venues who offer 50% for subsequent days.

If I discounted, it wouldn't be much unless I knew the day before would be free. Unlike a sound system, you can't bering it and set it up once, saving a bit of time and effort .. with photography, you need to bring everything each day.

I suppose there is a little upfront meeting savings, since you're combining them .. so maybe a 15% discount off the 1st wold be appropriate .. or a throw-in like you did.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I'm with Steve I don't know about pricing photography but your rates seem pretty reasonable for a quality photographer I think throwing in the extra session and giving them the deal on the silver package on Friday was more than I would do being the fact they never asked for any deal

Thanks guys. I'm just antzy to line up more photography gigs. In the past few days the leads have really cranked up more. Just got notice this morning that I'm being re-booked for a prom down near Huntsville. It's a Friday gig so always nice to still have Saturday open, and they're taking my biggest DJ/Lighting package.

I wouldn't discount for labor - which is mostly what digital photography boils down to.

I have DJ gigs that last two days (4 shows, 2 consecutive days) - and I discount that only to the extent that I don't have to setup/tear down multiple times. I can just pull the plug and leave in between shows. That's translates into a reduction in labor, and potential savings on my costs when compared to doing four separate gigs.