10 inch tops VS. 12 inch Tops

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I regularly need to switch to mono and point my left and right speakers in different directions to completely cover rooms during cocktails and dinner so that narrow dispersion would not work for me.
You need a 100v x 120h dispersion pattern.

Actually, IMO, a 40-60 deg vertical and 90 horizontal dispersion pattern works out to be a very good compromise.

You go wider or more vertical and you have issues managing reflective waves in smaller rooms .. besides, you get something that sounds like a Bose 802 and you wouldn't want that :).

Last edited:
Wouldn't their be a limit to the size of audience 2 10" tops can handle? The least I would roll with would be 12" tops. Showing up to a gig with 2 10"s is like djing with 2 monitors and a sub. My monitors are 12 and mains are 15's. I guess it depends on the type of music and event taking place.

Reactions: ahoustondj
Wouldn't their be a limit to the size of audience 2 10" tops can handle? The least I would roll with would be 12" tops. Showing up to a gig with 2 10"s is like djing with 2 monitors and a sub. My monitors are 12 and mains are 15's. I guess it depends on the type of music and event taking place.

Not really .. once you cut off the bottom end at 100-120Hz, there is very little difference between most 12s and 10s .. especially since most have the same HF horns and same amp module .. but only with a sub or two .. without a sub, then 12 should be the smallest (except for very small events).

Another benefit of many 10s, is they are better reproducers of the mid-range .. smaller cones tend to suffer less surface distortion as well as handle transients better than 12s.

Thanks Steve, they are going back I have a set of Yamaha DXR 15's I use when i don't use subs, I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't stupid

Agree with Steve, too.
In considering new powered tops,
I was torn between the 10's that go with the EV ZXA1-Sub..
and the 12's which could stand on their own for small gigs.
I don't think you'd lose THAT much visibility with the 12" cabinet over the 10"...
but not a big deal if you are keeping your 15's for those "no sub" gigs.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
One of my best sounding systems (passive) is a pair of EV-ZX1 8" tops, with a pair of EV-TX 18" subs. Have played them in medium rooms with crowds around 300 people and had tremendous volume. The ZX1 passive top is a monster for its small size and gets clearer the more you crank it. Horns and vocals are awesome.

My current favorite listening tops are ETX10Ps with a single or pair of ETX15SP subs, they sound noticeably smoother than my ETX12P tops.

I have no use for 8" or 10" speakers unless they are a pair in a single cabinet used for Midrange only.
I have never heard an 8" or 10" that I have liked. They all sound tinny to me like wind blowing through foil paper. If I had to use them at all, it will have to be in a home with subs.
The natural tone of Live Sound PA is what I prefer and I have never heard an 8" or 10" sound like full bodied natural. A cymbal should sound like a cymbal and a Guitar like a guitar. I am certainly not a fan of the DJ sounding speakers.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I have no use for 8" or 10" speakers unless they are a pair in a single cabinet used for Midrange only.
I have never heard an 8" or 10" that I have liked. They all sound tinny to me like wind blowing through foil paper. If I had to use them at all, it will have to be in a home with subs.
The natural tone of Live Sound PA is what I prefer and I have never heard an 8" or 10" sound like full bodied natural. A cymbal should sound like a cymbal and a Guitar like a guitar. I am certainly not a fan of the DJ sounding speakers.

There is no "natural tone of a Live Sound PA" as a Live Sound Rig takes many shapes and sizes .. most modern ones using 8"-12" drivers as mid/mid-bass (see just about every Line array out there) and compression drivers for HF. Most of a Cymbal's frequency response is above a mid-range driver anyway and would be handled by a HF unit, as the harmonics go well above the 20K limit of our hearing .. only the fundamental tones would be under the 2-3KHz range that a 8"-12" driver would handle.

By the same reasoning, (8) 5.25" paper cone drivers couldn't sound natural as they couldn't replicate the types of drivers used by a guitar either.

Reactions: sonic-vision
One of my best sounding systems (passive) is a pair of EV-ZX1 8" tops, with a pair of EV-TX 18" subs. Have played them in medium rooms with crowds around 300 people and had tremendous volume. The ZX1 passive top is a monster for its small size and gets clearer the more you crank it. Horns and vocals are awesome.

+1 on this. The ZX1's really do play nicely.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow on a pair of JBL PRX710s. Just got a price from my Guitar Center rep. of $580/each. I've been looking at ATA flight cases but the only thing I've seen is a tall (and probably heavy) lid that slides down over the speakers. May have to build a rolling box with a flip lid. This will put me at 2 rolling containers to get the system in the door and just a couple of boxes for cables, mixer, projector that will require a hand truck.

Rick I have an ATA case for my tops and a large one for lighting cables and other accessories, my subs are on wheels from the factory, 4 trips and I am in the buliding

I'm probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow on a pair of JBL PRX710s. Just got a price from my Guitar Center rep. of $580/each. I've been looking at ATA flight cases but the only thing I've seen is a tall (and probably heavy) lid that slides down over the speakers. May have to build a rolling box with a flip lid. This will put me at 2 rolling containers to get the system in the door and just a couple of boxes for cables, mixer, projector that will require a hand truck.

$580 is a VERY good price on those...

Rick I have an ATA case for my tops and a large one for lighting cables and other accessories, my subs are on wheels from the factory, 4 trips and I am in the buliding

Is yours a tall lid that fits over the tops? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd build it that way. Guitar amps, yes, I can see it as they're heavy. But these tops are 32 lbs.

Tell me about it. My GC guy sells so much volume that they pretty much let him do what he wants.

Let me know how they work out .. after I get and break in the RCF EVOX set, I may rework the other system.

Is yours a tall lid that fits over the tops? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd build it that way. Guitar amps, yes, I can see it as they're heavy. But these tops are 32 lbs.
Mine has the short base and the removable top is tall, I put two handles towards the top on the side in order to make it easier to remove.

Its not bad, unless you're old and weak. I am old but not weak, If you get a big ATA for your other gear get one that is the right height to use as a table, I've used mine dozens of times that way.